New rack...Sherpa Equipment Co (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sherpa just announced on their IG page that they're coming out with a rack for a the 200 series. Should be up on their site this monday!!! They make great 80/20 extrusion racks for the 5th gen 4R and GX's. IMO they're a big step up from Prinsu for a few reasons. Thicker aluminum side panels, stronger material, rubber roof seals instead of using gobs of silicone and much better customer service than CBI/Prinsu. Was thinking about a Rhino Rack but I'm strongly considering this rack as well.

1622909546715.png

I have their 5th Gen 4Runner rack unpainted (I thought the aluminum would match the silver paint better) and I can't say enough good things about their support (mostly pre-sales in my case). The mounting system is also great - really makes you wonder why "just put some goop in there" is the go-to for everyone else. The cross bars were easy to get spaced equally along the whole rack. The built-in handles are also great and get used quite a bit, especially when you have stuff on the rack. I think the only pain point I had was getting the front feet installed, since you have to get the bolts in blind on the underside of the front crossbar (though I could have been doing it wrong). Even then, it was only slightly annoying.

That all being said, I personally just don't love to look for the 200. I feel tube racks (Gamiviti, etc.) just have more of the "look" I prefer on a LC. Still...this does make me reconsider for my LX.

I've been bugging them and waiting for their rack, mostly because of how the mount seals to the roof. Excited that it's coming to the market now! I really want to see what the front & 3/4 profile views look like with the front light bar option.

Thanks for the pointer. Do you think they'll make one that just uses the 3 mounts and doesn't go all the way to the front windshield? I'm sure some will want the added space and will like the look, but to my tastes, it looks a little odd being so "tall" as it matches the roof line.

Among the tubes, I think the Gamiviti looks really sharp. Also interested in the newish ARB rack.

Thanks for the pointer. Do you think they'll make one that just uses the 3 mounts and doesn't go all the way to the front windshield? I'm sure some will want the added space and will like the look, but to my tastes, it looks a little odd being so "tall" as it matches the roof line.

Among the tubes, I think the Gamiviti looks really sharp. Also interested in the newish ARB rack.
agree on your points, I'm most interested in the 3/4 arb base rack as it's big enough and I like the shorter length of it.

Been waiting for Sherpa to release this. Ordered for my 2013 LX570!

It is up on the site now:

Does anyone have feedback to share about their Sherpa rack ?
@beer @teejnut how has you experience been with this rack ?
Any specific likes/dislikes, and comparisons to other racks that you have run previously?
I am considering this one as I really like the their mounting design and beefier 1/4” side plates. Also if you have any pics to share I’d appreciate it.

Been happy with mine, no issues. I did choose them for their mounting design specifically the rubber mount instead of the typical bolt plus silicone to seal it up. I haven't had any leaks but I don't see much rain here in SoCal. I like the length and width of the rack and how it uses the entire roof. The handle holes work great to mount lights inside of them and have a clean look from the outside. I've carried a bunch of stuff on the rack and never had any issues.

The one possible downside is they only use three of the mounting points on each side vs four. Some other racks out there use 4 some use 3. 🤷‍♂️ . But the mounting points go directly to those 3 crossbars. The the side plates go into the three crossbars and then additional crossbars are added. And the brackets are pretty beefy.

PXL_20220428_183831116.jpg

PXL_20220429_165839661.MP.jpg

PXL_20220501_142913494.jpg

PXL_20221101_203855310.jpg

Been happy with mine, no issues. I did choose them for their mounting design specifically the rubber mount instead of the typical bolt plus silicone to seal it up. I haven't had any leaks but I don't see much rain here in SoCal. I like the length and width of the rack and how it uses the entire roof. The handle holes work great to mount lights inside of them and have a clean look from the outside. I've carried a bunch of stuff on the rack and never had any issues.

The one possible downside is they only use three of the mounting points on each side vs four. Some other racks out there use 4 some use 3. 🤷‍♂️ . But the mounting points go directly to those 3 crossbars. The the side plates go into the three crossbars and then additional crossbars are added. And the brackets are pretty beefy.

View attachment 3171596

View attachment 3171597

View attachment 3171598

View attachment 3171600
Thanks @teejnut. Appreciate the feedback. Nice shots of your 200, looks great.
I keep Going back and forth between Sherpa, Front runner and Dissent. The Mounting feet and system of the Sherpa is what I like best. No silicone or sealant to mess with.

@teejnut Did you need to do anything special to mount your roof top box? Does it lock into the Sherpa cross bars with the Yakima hardware/clamps ?

@teejnut Did you need to do anything special to mount your roof top box? Does it lock into the Sherpa cross bars with the Yakima hardware/clamps ?

Nothing special, it just clamps in.

Thanks @teejnut. Appreciate the feedback. Nice shots of your 200, looks great.
I keep Going back and forth between Sherpa, Front runner and Dissent. The Mounting feet and system of the Sherpa is what I like best. No silicone or sealant to mess with.

One pro with the Sherpa is it uses the 1"x2" extruded aluminum. So almost any of the accessories for all the similar style racks should work.

@TLC2013 No complaints so far, loving the Sherpa Blanca rack.

I have nothing to compare it to as I’ve never installed or used a roof rack before this one. Went with Sherpa mainly due to the mounting solution with the rubber feet, and positive feedback from users of other models. Install was easy. It’s been through a ton of rain so far, tropical storm type stuff, and knock on wood, have had no issues. I chose the version without the cutout for a light bar; I was 50/50 there.

It has supported the 74lb Bush Co 270 XT Max awning, 200w of solar, and occasionally maxtrax and 3 gallons of fuel. The cutouts/handholds are useful. I think they included 10 crossbars. The front fairing is adjustable up and down. Maybe that's common to all racks. After initial install I had a bit of wind noise, so i slid the fairing up about 1/4” and the wind noise disappeared. No additional noise over stock rack. I may try a RTT this winter so we’ll see how that integrates with the rack.

One night in Big Bend NP I forgot to put the awning down before going to sleep, and woke to a big storm with 30+ mph sustained wind. Awning and rack were hanging in there just fine, despite trying to lift the LX off the ground.

If you want any specific pictures I'm happy to take them if I don't already have them.

IMG_8331.jpeg

IMG_9398.jpeg

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8928.jpeg

Awesome pics. I guess there's no way to keep the part over the sun roof clear? I was hoping you wouldn't have to install the bars there but it looks like that's where the front most mount is.

I really like my sunroof and use it often, it's not a deal breaker but would prefer it to be unobstructed. I know there are some 3/4 mounts out there, I just really like this one.

@TLC2013 No complaints so far, loving the Sherpa Blanca rack.

I have nothing to compare it to as I’ve never installed or used a roof rack before this one. Went with Sherpa mainly due to the mounting solution with the rubber feet, and positive feedback from users of other models. Install was easy. It’s been through a ton of rain so far, tropical storm type stuff, and knock on wood, have had no issues. I chose the version without the cutout for a light bar; I was 50/50 there.

It has supported the 74lb Bush Co 270 XT Max awning, 200w of solar, and occasionally maxtrax and 3 gallons of fuel. The cutouts/handholds are useful. I think they included 10 crossbars. The front fairing is adjustable up and down. Maybe that's common to all racks. After initial install I had a bit of wind noise, so i slid the fairing up about 1/4” and the wind noise disappeared. No additional noise over stock rack. I may try a RTT this winter so we’ll see how that integrates with the rack.

One night in Big Bend NP I forgot to put the awning down before going to sleep, and woke to a big storm with 30+ mph sustained wind. Awning and rack were hanging in there just fine, despite trying to lift the LX off the ground.

If you want any specific pictures I'm happy to take them if I don't already have them.

View attachment 3174485

View attachment 3174486

View attachment 3174488

View attachment 3174490
Thanks for your input and sharing your experience with the rack. Sounds this rack is up to the task, can comfortably handle heavy loads and a 270 awning. Your 200 looks great, nice choice of wheels! Appreciate all the pics. This helps make my mind up.

Awesome pics. I guess there's no way to keep the part over the sun roof clear? I was hoping you wouldn't have to install the bars there but it looks like that's where the front most mount is.

I really like my sunroof and use it often, it's not a deal breaker but would prefer it to be unobstructed. I know there are some 3/4 mounts out there, I just really like this one.
It sounds like you really like this product, but if you decide to explore other options, the Gamiviti racks are available with no bars over the sunroof. Actually, they are completely customizable. I got mine with the sunroof area left open, and a snap in grid panel to cover that opening if I want to haul things in that spot.

I spoke with Sherpa today and asked them about their rack only utilizing 3 of the 4 mounting points and they said they are working on finalizing the 4th mounting bracket/hardware @teejnut , should be available within the next 2-3 months and will be compatible with the current Blanca rack. That was enough to convince me to go with this rack. Great customer service, nice to see that they continue to inovate and improve their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom