New Poll: Should I replace my spindle(s)? (1 Viewer)

Which spindle should be replaced?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will help dust em, plus help me decide what you all feel about these. :D

So as some of you know, I've been trying to figure out a new rig, today I got the ARB working thanks to this board :cheers: :cheers: and tore apart the front axles to do the bearings and seals...again thanks to this board. :cheers: :cheers: Oh, and laytex gloves. I'd start and get stuck, rip of the gloves and surf a bit, then hit it again. It was great!.
Anyway, the two spindles are showing some wear...but I just wanted to get some opinions of when you personally decide to replace or continue using with a cautious eye. Thanks.

p.s.
Special question for C-DAN. Going to have to hit the dealer on Monday, what's a decent price to expect at the dealer for a spindle? Part #? Thanks.

Close-up of Left. You can actually feel an edge with your fingernail on the top of this one. :doh:

As the bearing sits on the spindle, I see no reason you can't just use it again. Just clean up any rough are. Does the bearing sit on it well?

Safe,

Since they don't match, one of them's likely been replaced at some point.

However, does it appear that the wear is slightly deeper on one side or the other? I'm guessing so as there's a load bearing function and I'd expect the bottom to be deeper. If they can be swapped side to side, I'd simply clean up any sharp edges on the groove and do so. If you don't clean up the edge, the new bearing's surface that contacts the spindle might catch on it and not fully seat (I'd expect them to want to seat slightly deeper than the old ones due to a bit of missing material). By removing the edge so it's not raised, the radius of the bearing's inner surface edges (check 'em out) will allow this to happen. Notice the obvious radius? If it were perfectly square there'd be no tolerance for some spindle wear.

My rears have more wear than that, and I didn't even swap them last time I repacked the bearings back there. No problems, and that was 20,000 miles ago, including a lot of overweight towing (probably 2000 miles of it). I'm sure others will urge you to go full on anal and replace them. I merely used the very best grease I could find (Mobil 1 full synthetic) checked the temps of the rear wheel (pull off the center caps and feel) hubs the first few times I towed at each gas stop and have no issues. Normal. Next time I'll swap mine side to side, then finally about 5 years from now I'll get new spindles for the next 200,000 miles...

Finally, the worst case is the bearing seizes up and you spin wildly out of control at freeway speeds. :) Actually, if you're a good observer you'll hear those huge bearings starting to complain and check to find they're warm and then you'll have to get new spindles. But I don't think it will happen. Those are pretty mildly worn, BTW.

IdahoDoug

New spindles are a couple hundred bucks a piece. BUT, you do get roller bearings instead of bushings. Yours don't look too bad to me.

Thanks for the opinions.

The left one is worn more on the bottom, just like you said ID...you can feel the edge with your nail. So how are you supposed to "clean them up" I imaging this is pretty hard steel. At a machine shop with a laythe? I should mention that the ne bearings when placed on the spindle do slip past this rough poin easily...I'm just not sure if the hub is going to hold it in the same place where the groove is. But ther last person to do the job didn't do it well at all. Chisel marks all over the nuts and just finger tight. :slap: Maybe once I get everything torqued in there right, it won't matter anyway.

Thanks again.

More importantly how are the bushings inside the spindles??

I would assume your local dealer does not have any in stock, so IF you do replace any, may as well order them from Cbag.
hippy.gif

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6484;start=msg52594#msg52594 date=1066595893]
New spindles are a couple hundred bucks a piece. BUT, you do get roller bearings instead of bushings. Yours don't look too bad to me.
[/quote]

Cruiserdan,

Do I read this right that the new spindle comes with roller bearings where the brass bushing used to be? Can you tell me if this bearing is replaceable? What year 80 series starts coming with spindle roller bearings? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dave

Just checked with the dealer....sounds like I may have a decent one at least.

$195 for the spindle, but he said they still have bushings and "the part number has never been replaced or modified."

What were you talking about C-DAN? What part #?

The original spindle number is 43401-60041, it has been replaced by a 43401-60080. The 43401-60080 has bearings inside instead of bushings. The bearings are not serviced separately. The bronze bushings found in the original spindles can be ordered as separate parts to replace worn ones in the original spindles.

D-

Dave,

>> What year 80 series starts coming with spindle roller bearings? <<

None of the 80 series came with spindle roller bearings. As C-Dan explained, it is a superceded part.

Safado,

Sounds like your dealer doesn't have a clue and you haven't gotten the message yet.

-B-

:slap:

Yeah,

Actually had the pleasure of talking to CDAN just after he posted the message. As he explained it, the change was made in part number only recently, and no mention was ever made as to what was changed....you just have to be as perceptive as our local expert is. The dealer however gave me the right part number with the roller bearings.

So? And? Ya gonna give it a shot, then? Says Mr. Curious how they'd work on my rig. Heh.

Doug

Safado,

>> The dealer however gave me the right part number with the roller bearings. <<

And you said your parts dealer told you the spindle had the bronze bushing. Like I said, your parts guy doesn't have a clue. We've heard about the roller bearing spindle for well over a year now. C-Dan publicly posted the part numbers several months ago (May 17th to be exact.)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom