New Paint or Just Clear Coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Been thinking I need a new paint job, but have seen a few references to stripping/redoing clear coat only. If this is a clear coat candidate(?)--any tips for removing what's left without damaging the paint, and selecting / applying the new clear coat? PO says gray stuff is Plasti Dip; will need to get that off, too. Vehicle was garaged in southern CA desert, or so I'm told. Thanks!

(Pardon the funhouse mirror effect.) Photos: dry and dirty, clean and wet. Yeahyeah...

Clear coat shot - dirty.jpg

Clear coat shot - clean and wet.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately that’s way past a clear coat touch up. Your base coat is already faded so it’s never going to look right or adhere we’ll applying clear over it.

Prep for paint vs clear is the same. Just get you a high quality base and clear coat like PPG,etc. Don’t cheap out on material or you will be doing it in 3-5 years again. Remember good prep work is the key to a good paint job.

I used MP Auto Body in San Fernando!! Morgan is who I dealt with. They did a complete glass out and disassembled paint job.

MP Auto Body & Collision - San Fernando, CA

View attachment 2479264
I used MP Auto Body in San Fernando!! Morgan is who I dealt with. They did a complete glass out and disassembled paint job.

MP Auto Body & Collision - San Fernando, CA

View attachment 2479264
Nice. How much, who did the disassembly prep (you or them), and how long after was this pic taken?

They did the disassembly and assembly. Call Morgan. If you are relatively close, bring your truck by there and let them quote it. They don't have a set cost....any good body shop will want to see it to give you an idea on cost. Totally depends on scope of body work and even color...some paint colors are more than others. This picture was probably a few months after. I got it painted end of last year. It's holding up very well.

Edit: They will let you do your own disassembly/assembly to save on costs.

They did the disassembly and assembly. Call Morgan. If you are relatively close, bring your truck by there and let them quote it. They don't have a set cost....any good body shop will want to see it to give you an idea on cost. Totally depends on scope of body work and even color...some paint colors are more than others. This picture was probably a few months after. I got it painted end of last year. It's holding up very well.

Thank you

I have two fj that needs rust and paint. I will check them out
Can we use your reference ?

Thank you

I have two fj that needs rust and paint. I will check them out
Can we use your reference ?

Yeah definitely...Brian with the 40th Anniversary 80. He also did some paint correction to my 100 (issues from the PO)

I'm in the same boat with failing clearcoat on multiple panels. What does something like this cost?

BTW, I might must try sanding down the clear with 800 grit and respraying over the bare color just to get me a few more years of blu'ish color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom