New owner, what PM to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All of it. Do ALL the PM.
then its done and you shouldnt need it again for 20 years.

Seriously, though, change the fluids(don't forget the brake fluid), plugs, wires, tune-up stuff. Check the key systems: stop, go, turn. Change the thermostat. Check the coolant hoses, especially the PHH.

repack the wheel bearings. fronts have most likely been done whenever the rotors were replaced last, rears are usually neglected and probably havent in quiet a while. i repacked mine a few weeks ago and im pretty sure that the rears weren't touched till i go tin there

like the color by the way

First and foremost, paint it. Then worry about the mechanical stuff.

Burgundy is the worst color on an 80. Barely beating out dark green (which my 93 is).

After that I would overhaul the cooling system.

Then change all oils and grease stuff up.

DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION!! Pull a sample of tranny fluid and if it doesn't look burned then leave it be.

Oh, and congrats! I'm only partly Messing with you about the paint.

Remove damage multiplier on the front and give to someone you don't like.

Rest of PM is well documented in FAQs etc. Assume the PO never did any and if they did, they did it wrong :)

cheers,
george.

Thank you, this will be very helpful

First and foremost, paint it. Then worry about the mechanical stuff.

Burgundy is the worst color on an 80. Barely beating out dark green (which my 93 is).

After that I would overhaul the cooling system.

Then change all oils and grease stuff up.

DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION!! Pull a sample of tranny fluid and if it doesn't look burned then leave it be.
Thank you, and I actually kind of like the color. Definitely needs new paint though.

Remove damage multiplier on the front and give to someone you don't like.

Rest of PM is well documented in FAQs etc. Assume the PO never did any and if they did, they did it wrong :)

cheers,
george.
I definitely plan on removing that, just haven't gotten to it yet. Planning on getting the Slee front bumper

Thank you, and I actually kind of like the color. Definitely needs new paint though.

You must've been the one that Mr. T had in mind when they chose that color! Only 24 years later! :rofl:

Don't listen to those guys. The red color is nice, I like it. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with getting all the maintenance done and enjoying your new 80!

I would recommend replacing ALL of the rubber coolant hoses (there are a ton). One of the few items that can leave you stranded with no notice (I speak from experience:bang:).

Remove the drain plug in the bottom of the fuel tank. Throw it in the garbage can. Do not ever replace. No other maitenance required!
:rimshot:

Not just hoses, but belts too. Use OEM.

The radiator needs looked at usually. I'd also replace the distributor cap and plug wires, unless they are new.

The wires have the year printed on them. My set had 1995 on them when I got my 80....good time to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom