New owner of a 1972 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welp, so a thing seemed to of happened. My wifes grandfather gave me his 1972 FJ40. It has been barn kept for 14 years and hasn't ran, or even seen sunlight in that time. I got it running good enough where it will hold the idle and thats about all. At higher rpms it starts to vibrate more then an inline 6 should so I assume it is misfiring. (haven't tested for it or taken anything apart.) I want to do a full rebuild on it and started looking around before I spent any time working on the original F motor. But have seen some people say getting the parts for the F is hard and not worth it. I just want this to be a nice cruiser me and the wife can take to the lakes and have a good time in. So what is best advice to do with the motor? Attempt to rebuild or find something else? Any further questions I will attempt to answer and all input is appreciated.

lol ya sorry. Not the cleanest most rust free FJ40 ever but it really itsent that bad. Worst part is the driver side fender. I have the doors in my truck still since i dont have the hinge pins that hold the doors on and it also dosent have a hard top
20210613_164303.jpg
20210613_164251.jpg
20210613_164319.jpg
20210613_164451.jpg

Man I’d be ecstatic if I got a free truck in that shape! I’m not a engine expert but I would start with a complete tune up and valve adjustment. Could be just a fouled plug causing roughness. To do a full restoration would take years and a lot of money, but to make it reliable and cool wouldn’t take that much(easy for me to say 😛). I’d go stock steel wheels and a factory soft top And drive it.

Tune up with a dwell meter, compression test, valve adjust and retest compression. Check timing, then vacuum.

Then report back with results.

Tune up with a dwell meter, compression test, valve adjust and retest compression. Check timing, then vacuum.

Then report back with results.
Holy Jesus I just went through your website and wow. I will post here when I get those done. Have a dwell meter and a timing gun on the way (dont have those and no one else I know does). But ill will be able to test the compression and vacuum hopefully tomorrow when my brother shows up :hmm:

Congrats ! Nice rig !

We all like to have a special grandfather like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom