New Owner and Member - '06 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

My name is Gabe and I'm located in Albuquerque, NM. I've always wanted a 100 series LC or LX and I can now say I am part of the club! What a great forum this is by the way. I've spent hours just reading threads and learning about these great vehicles. I'm looking forward to ownership and learning, sharing and experiencing this new platform.

My search started because I needed a more versatile, reliable vehicle since my 2 ~30 year old vehicles just aren't up to such tasks. I don't do much off-roading but do go fishing and golf quite a bit so space and 4x4 were necessary. I was originally looking for a truck but the prices are just insane these days. My father currently has my '00 Sierra SLT that I bought 4 years old back in '04 for $18k. Gone are those days were you can get a 4 year old top of the line truck for $18k! I recently got rid of my E53 X5 and thought I'd get another SUV since I can borrow his truck the few times a year I need it. So I started looking and was surprised how well these 100s have held their value. I stumbled across this beautiful rig and started the inquiry process. The owner was a very nice guy and he was very forthcoming and open about talking about every detail of the truck. It isn't perfect, but I think it will suit my needs.

I haven't decided on a name for her yet but, as corny as it sounds, I like Alexus. It's an '06 with 119k on the clock. The PO did a lot of detail work to it that I appreciated and I liked his taste in vehicles and mods. It has a new steering rack, brakes, wheels and tires. He added an android infotainment system, Odyssey battery, K&N filter, Flowmaster muffler, WeatherTech floor mats, new headlights, LED bulbs and some other bits here and there. It's got some common issues that I'll need to address, however. The moonroof doesn't open. It has mild driveline clunk. It has some rust that I need to wire down and coat but nothing too bad for a 14 year old rig. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it to my standards...good winter project.

After speaking with the PO and getting all settled. My father and I flew up to the Denver area and picked it up. We bounced around southern CO a couple days and hit the links and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The rig performed great and we made it home 500+ miles without issue. Anyway, here are a few pics and, again, very excited to be part of the club!

20200925_102033

20200925_102044

20200925_102059

20200925_110642

She now joins Lil' Red

Mr2

And my E30 that I have not given a name until she stop being a PITA:

20200813_141816

Welcome

I'm just about a month into owning my '06. This site is invaluable and really can save you money, time and sanity.

That is a clean car and I'm jealous bout the GROM system in the center stack. Would love to do that in the future.

Is the "carbon" trim actual trim or is just a wrap?

Thank you for the welcome! Looks like you both have beautiful rigs!

That is a clean car and I'm jealous bout the GROM system in the center stack. Would love to do that in the future.

Is the "carbon" trim actual trim or is just a wrap?

I do like the system installed. It's a little quirky at times but kinda like an Android phone right? I'm still fiddling with it trying to get it setup appropriately but it gives it a really modern feel and the access to apps is great.

The trim is just wrapped. I'm on the fence about it really. I do want to add some padding to the steering wheel and wrap it in black leather so the carbon wrap accents might tie in a bit better.

Congrats on the purchase with nightview and nice story to boot! Did he upgrade to glass headlights? Also I like the Mister 2 there 👍, always fun to have a little toy to play with.

Nice rig, but I'm more interested in that E30. What ailments does it have?

I over wrapped my steering wheel in black. Used the factory looking baseball stitching pattern too. It looks great. Thread with photos on here somewhere. You‘ll need clean leather gloves for grip, a thimble of sorts, roll of painters tape, and the wrap kit. Actually one of the more rewarding mods I’ve done. Wheel is nice and thick now too.

Thanks everyone for the welcome! And the name change idea lol!

Congrats on the purchase with nightview and nice story to boot! Did he upgrade to glass headlights? Also I like the Mister 2 there 👍, always fun to have a little toy to play with.

No, they are just new plastic units. Lil' Red is a lot of fun and turns a lot of heads. Don't see too many clean ones around anymore.

Nice rig, but I'm more interested in that E30. What ailments does it have?

I pulled the engine to seal the plethora of leaks it had and to do maintenance but I'm still trying to track down a leak from the front timing cover somewhere. It's quite a kick in the nuts when you attempt to do something the "right way" and still fail! It's also running a touch warm despite replacing every cooling component; the M42 engine is notoriously difficult to burp. Both issues really are relatively minor, they are just annoying. Otherwise, just working through each area and rehabbing or replacing 30 year old parts! Just did brake hoses today. It's a fun little ride. Slow as hell but again, like the MR2, getting more and more uncommon.

I over wrapped my steering wheel in black. Used the factory looking baseball stitching pattern too. It looks great. Thread with photos on here somewhere. You‘ll need clean leather gloves for grip, a thimble of sorts, roll of painters tape, and the wrap kit. Actually one of the more rewarding mods I’ve done. Wheel is nice and thick now too.

That's a great idea and I'm sure the thicker wheel feels better - I'll see if I can find the thread.

Great looking rig @G FORCE and welcome from another new LX guy. This is a great place for all things 100 series. Interesting wheel set there, I don't think I've ever seen them before. 🤔

Great looking rig @G FORCE and welcome from another new LX guy. This is a great place for all things 100 series. Interesting wheel set there, I don't think I've ever seen them before. 🤔

Thank you! I am amazed at the depth of knowledge, helpfulness and sheer volume of contributions on this forum!

From the paperwork, they are Black Rhino Kunene 20x9 +25 offset wrapped with 285/50/20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom