New member first post - '06 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally picked up my first 100 series. A crystal white pearl '06 LX470 with 91K and almost zero rust. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner changed before purchase. Lexus serviced. Heater T's are ordered and have started baselining fluids starting with the AHC (works great). I have a few other projects to get working on (replacing power steering reservoir and weeping low pressure hoses, TPMS sensors, some minor water leakage through rear hatch/passenger taillight). Lurked on ih8mud a bit before buying, and I'm excited to finally join and keep learning from the community.

IMG_1992.jpg

Good looking 06 and welcome to mud 🥃

Finally picked up my first 100 series. A crystal white pearl '06 LX470 with 91K and almost zero rust. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner changed before purchase. Lexus serviced. Heater T's are ordered and have started baselining fluids starting with the AHC (works great). I have a few other projects to get working on (replacing power steering reservoir and weeping low pressure hoses, TPMS sensors, some minor water leakage through rear hatch/passenger taillight). Lurked on ih8mud a bit before buying, and I'm excited to finally join and keep learning from the community.

View attachment 3466477
Sweet eye candy!
Envious of the odometer!

Sweet eye candy!
Envious of the odometer!
Don't know if you or anyone else can speak to some susp[ension issues I'm having but here goes....
Hi, Reaching out on this site (haven't used before) to get some solid advice.... I am experiencing 2 issues - 1..ongoing wear on inner tie rods; especially the right side.
25-30% wear in less than 5000 miles.
2. unstable ride in general, of course center of gravity of vehicle different (higher).
Some recent history of maintenance/upgrades since owning:
Acquired vehicle at 290000 mi. in early August 2023. Vehicle in generally great shape
Found much wear in suspension so upon advice from trusted local mechanics (who specialize in suspension, brakes, tires) replaced steering rack, and shocks and inner tie rod ends.
Also after initial replacement of the shocks discovered ride was terrible, decided to go forward with lifting vehicle and use the Iron 4 x 4 kit.
Suspicious that somehow something has not been addressed, although ALL recommended components have been replaced/installed.
Also, noticing CV axles throwing grease, and since the geometry of these is now elevated, thus likely more wear being exerted, am wondering if the yet to become available extended travel CV axles are a wise idea?
Most urgent issue is the uncomfortable squirrely driving caused most likely by this inner tie rod wear; but not sure why right side is wearing faster than left (left is only 10% worn)...don't have photos of that wear but here are notes from mechanic shop (they're open about not being experts on lifting or lifted vehicles but have done excellent work with all my Toyota toys (88 SRV V6 stick in excellent shape, '11 Tundra CrewMax) and other Lexus (93 SC300).
Here are some pix....

de1753ed-ebee-4d89-88f7-0058efeffe80_IMG_1386_RESIZED.jpeg

de1753ed-ebee-4d89-88f7-0058efeffe80_IMG_1386_RESIZED.jpeg

56f04064-0f84-4017-bacb-9a956788c660_IMG_1385_RESIZED.jpeg

56f04064-0f84-4017-bacb-9a956788c660_IMG_1385_RESIZED.jpeg

IMG_4556.jpeg

How do you measure wear on an inner tie rod? The inners come with the steering rack, btw. They should be rock solid, if they are allowing any side to side play of the tires, they should be replaced. It also sound like you might need an alignment.

You also need to make sure you have not over-lifted the truck. You should get 2.25"+ of suspension droop when you raise the truck. If you have less its been reported the ride will be terrible. I also notice your sway bar bushings are shot. If you haven't replaced the bushings on the control arms that can cause issues as well.

Don't know if you or anyone else can speak to some susp[ension issues I'm having but here goes....
Hi, Reaching out on this site (haven't used before) to get some solid advice.... I am experiencing 2 issues - 1..ongoing wear on inner tie rods; especially the right side.
25-30% wear in less than 5000 miles.
2. unstable ride in general, of course center of gravity of vehicle different (higher).
Some recent history of maintenance/upgrades since owning:
Acquired vehicle at 290000 mi. in early August 2023. Vehicle in generally great shape
Found much wear in suspension so upon advice from trusted local mechanics (who specialize in suspension, brakes, tires) replaced steering rack, and shocks and inner tie rod ends.
Also after initial replacement of the shocks discovered ride was terrible, decided to go forward with lifting vehicle and use the Iron 4 x 4 kit.
Suspicious that somehow something has not been addressed, although ALL recommended components have been replaced/installed.
Also, noticing CV axles throwing grease, and since the geometry of these is now elevated, thus likely more wear being exerted, am wondering if the yet to become available extended travel CV axles are a wise idea?
Most urgent issue is the uncomfortable squirrely driving caused most likely by this inner tie rod wear; but not sure why right side is wearing faster than left (left is only 10% worn)...don't have photos of that wear but here are notes from mechanic shop (they're open about not being experts on lifting or lifted vehicles but have done excellent work with all my Toyota toys (88 SRV V6 stick in excellent shape, '11 Tundra CrewMax) and other Lexus (93 SC300).
Here are some pix....

View attachment 3536075

View attachment 3536076

View attachment 3536077

View attachment 3536078

View attachment 3536079
Here is note regarding wear on front end as of 1/16/2024:
How do you measure wear on an inner tie rod? The inners come with the steering rack, btw. They should be rock solid, if they are allowing any side to side play of the tires, they should be replaced. It also sound like you might need an alignment.

You also need to make sure you have not over-lifted the truck. You should get 2.25"+ of suspension droop when you raise the truck. If you have less its been reported the ride will be terrible. I also notice your sway bar bushings are shot. If you haven't replaced the bushings on the control arms that can cause issues as well.
thanks for responding and so quickly. Realized later today that the pictures I provided were a little old. There are new bushings that were installed in December after those pictures were taken. And alignment was done 1/16/24 - all in spec.
(NOTE: I have alignment checked and corrected as needed each time I travel more than 5000 miles as I have an annual membership to have that kind of work done and I keep up with it).
so those two issues are non-issues. But you make a good point about the steering rack and the fact that the tie rods are a part of that when they come. We already have replaced those Rt inner tie rods in December (warranty basis) just to rule out possibility of a fluke bad part.
I’m beginning to wonder if it’s possible at the entire steering rack somehow was flawed or it’s insulation was flawed… Or that perhaps there is too much lift.
I will look into these two issues.
Any other thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.

IMG_5710.jpeg

How many inches are you vertically from center of hub to the fender lip?

The front is adjustable (torsion bars). Usually the Ironman setups have fairly tall rear springs, so are you sure? 21" in the rear is close to stock height.

You want the 100 to have a forward rake - the front .5-1" lower than the rear. This looks like you have more of a squat going on. Your front is very likely too high as far as having adequate droop, as well. I would start by lowering the front to get at least 2.25" droop and be at least .5-1" lower than the rear. In the FAQ section you can find a link to all info about Torsion bars and adjusting them.

The front is adjustable (torsion bars). Usually the Ironman setups have fairly tall rear springs, so are you sure? 21" in the rear is close to stock height.

You want the 100 to have a forward rake - the front .5-1" lower than the rear. This looks like you have more of a squat going on. Your front is very likely too high as far as having adequate droop, as well. I would start by lowering the front to get at least 2.25" droop and be at least .5-1" lower than the rear. In the FAQ section you can find a link to all info about Torsion bars and adjusting them.
Outstanding helpful info...thank you...will try this and report back...will be in awhile as my main job has me presenting at a conference next few days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom