New Owner 1971 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm the proud new owner of a 1971 FJ40. It has the original F motor and 3 speed on the tree, runs like a sewing machine. The previous owner owned the truck for the past 10 years and has a good record of service history. The truck seems mechanically sound, I plan on changing out the water pump, thermostat, belt and hoses for peace of mind but other than that I plan on just driving it until something breaks and fix or upgrade parts as needed. The body and frame are very solid, it is definitely not a bondo buggy. The only thing I don't like on the truck is the mirrors, I'm not sure why someone would put those on over stock side mirrors but it can be fixed. I had a FJ62 in college and regrettably sold it but I did not realize how stripped down and raw the FJ40 is compared to newer landcruisers. In a world full of technology and drivers aids it is refreshing to drive something analog.

320A8538.jpg

20220814_173629.jpg

20220814_173118.jpg

Very nice! Congratulations!

Might want to research if that is the original engine. The cap in the valve cover is not stock. Up to 9/71 oil was added thru a tube on the right side that entered at the bottom of the block. There was no place to added oil in the valve cover. 9/71 valve cover with a cap towards the front. The weatherstripping on the hard top windows ended 7/71. The A pillar plaque will have a month year build date. The block has a serial number on the right side of the block. Towards the bottom. The left side has a build date cast into it. Cylinder head has a date code as well. Best to know when the engine was built when ordering parts.

Might want to research if that is the original engine. The cap in the valve cover is not stock. Up to 9/71 oil was added thru a tube on the right side that entered at the bottom of the block. There was no place to added oil in the valve cover. 9/71 valve cover with a cap towards the front. The weatherstripping on the hard top windows ended 7/71. The A pillar plaque will have a month year build date. The block has a serial number on the right side of the block. Towards the bottom. The left side has a build date cast into it. Cylinder head has a date code as well. Best to know when the engine was built when ordering parts.
My Vin # on the frame is FJ4098614 if I read the chart correctly 2/71
My engine serial # F374210 date would be 9/71

I see someone rigged a way to run the long troop seats with a roll bar on yours.

Do you have the three split or the 60/40 bench seat?
I wouldn't say they rigged up the longer jump seats nicely. they are sturdy but sit kind of skewed and the grab handle on the end of the seat is not bolted down. I may pull them out and try to rework them in this winter.

The front bench seat is a 60/40

I can't say I'm a fan of the troop seats with the roll bar. That little pad isn't going to save someone's skull if you drop a wheel in a hole and their head moves quickly and unexpectedly.

I decided to delete the roll bar a PO installed in my '69 with long troop seats, as it came without originally, and after long thought decided I wanted the troop seats more than the roll bar.

That is a pretty rig, though. Hopefully mine will someday look as nice.

Edited to add: I have those same darned awful mirrors as well.

First things first....get rid of that 3rd hood hold down...(is that a yard gate latch?)

Looks like a solid specimen!
I don't understand the 3rd hold down at all, the side hood latches are functional and do the job. I guess one of the previous owners deemed it necessary. I want to take it off but I will have four holes in the front of my hood where they bolted the eye piece to. Maybe I can take it off and patch the back up with something to cover up the holes.

I don't understand the 3rd hold down at all, the side hood latches are functional and do the job. I guess one of the previous owners deemed it necessary. I want to take it off but I will have four holes in the front of my hood where they bolted the eye piece to. Maybe I can take it off and patch the back up with something to cover up the holes.
All it takes is some mig zzzt, zzzt and then some rattle can psst, psst and it'll be fine

The head has plugs for the smog pump. Head is from a '73-model-year.
Good eye on the air rail plugs. I’d pop that valve cover ASAP to ensure you are getting oiling to the top end. I see the remote oil filter on the intake which could point to an original F block?
I could be wrong here if it’s even possible, but if that’s an F.5 or 2F head on an F engine, there’s no oil going to the valvetrain.

Good eye on the air rail plugs. I’d pop that valve cover ASAP to ensure you are getting oiling to the top end. I see the remote oil filter on the intake which could point to an original F block?
I could be wrong here if it’s even possible, but if that’s an F.5 or 2F head on an F engine, there’s no oil going to the valvetrain.
I was unaware that the head is from a later model. It has been running good since and I purchased it August and the the valvetrain does not seem to be excessively loud but I will definitely take the valve cover off this weekend and check that the top end is getting oiled properly.

Can you get a pic of the stamped pad on the block above the starter?

The 2F head is stamped as such. Very lightly on the machined horizontal surface, front corner driver (USA), almost under the gasket for the valve cover. The thread starter's motor is very nice, and it has an extra stud on the front of the exhaust, not all early heads have that (original to '71, iiac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom