New Member. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome! Pictures are worth a thousand words.

This forum is pretty open to anyone starting a build thread.

Forgot to Post Pics. 70K miles, Non Nav, Non KDSS, 2 owner - Texas vehicle with fat stack of service records.
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg
InkedIMG_0643_LI.jpg

Welcome! Pictures are worth a thousand words.

This forum is pretty open to anyone starting a build thread.
Hey Homers Thank You! i just realized i posted nothing in there. Appreciate the heads up. I am away at work for 5 more weeks but have ordered an OME kit from Rocky Road and plan on having some other things waiting by the time i am home. I will definitely share the progress as i go.

Update on the GX which at the moment remains nameless....

Since i am stuck at work for the next 5 weeks all i am able to do is order parts. So;
Just ordered:
- OME 2.5" Suspension from Rocky Road. looking at about 3 weeks to arrival.
- 6th Gen Ipad wifi + Cellular
- ODB LInk MX Bluetooth Scanner for Iphone
- Bracketron HD tablet dock Pro Dash and Window metal clamp for IPAD.

Looking currently at Tires ( Ridge Grapplers and KO2s) , tire sizes and Wheels. Unsure about wheel offset at the moment so i will be researching all of that. If anyone has any insight on that i would love to know!

The biggest hang up i have at the moment is which bumpers to go with. I probably want to put a rear bumper on just for
carrying capacity over a front bumper.

Use case for the GX will be general off roading, occasional burger runs and weekends out on the town. I live in the sooner state so most road trips will be a minimum of 1k miles.

Bracket Photo for the Ipad

Screenshot 2022-04-04 081439.jpg

I can’t help you on rear bumper other than to say check availability. Some big metal items are back ordered.

285/7R17: Tires I had KO2s but like the Ridge Grapplers better. Next set will most likely be 33x10.5R17s by Kenda klever Rt if available at a good price. It’s an inch narrower and maybe I won’t run on full turns

I would get a 17x8.5 or 17x8 wheel with zero offset or negative offset -10

+2 on the Ridge Grapplers. Almost 15k miles on the set on my 460 and they are still nearly like new. Great tire.

I can’t help you on rear bumper other than to say check availability. Some big metal items are back ordered.

285/7R17: Tires I had KO2s but like the Ridge Grapplers better. Next set will most likely be 33x10.5R17s by Kenda klever Rt if available at a good price. It’s an inch narrower and maybe I won’t run on full turns

I would get a 17x8.5 or 17x8 wheel with zero offset or negative offset -10
I will have to go back and check out your lift again to see how tall you are, i read your entire thread and got a little sensory overload lol, I was definitely wondering about the rubbing. I used to run 35's on an old square body Chevrolet and it rubbed on sharp turns.

Ill also have to check out the Kendas I've never heard of them. Always like to find new stuff.

Bumpers are definitely big ticket, I will likely run bare bones this year and add slowly. Watching your videos showed me that i can do that.
+2 on the Ridge Grapplers. Almost 15k miles on the set on my 460 and they are still nearly like new. Great tire.
2 points for the grapplers. I'm hearing great things as far as road noise. Do you run an E rated tire or something else? I've ran E rated K02's on my Duramax and have never had a flat. I've ran them up on some pretty nasty rock in Colorado last time I was up fishing.

Appreciate the input. Hope to have some build photos up before I go to WEST between 5/9 and 5/18.

My build info is in the first post. The rest is the journey!

Im like 2.4” lifted in the front and 2” in the rear. The problem with tires rubbing is not the lift.

Tires rub because the darn wheel wells are small and the stock oem wheels were designed with a +25 offset.

So, to avoid rubbing with minimal mods, stick with skinny tires up to like 10.6” wide and 33” tall.

285/70R17 (33x11.5) will rub and you will need to do a few mods to minimize the rubbing. But I still rub on full lock even after doing the following:

1. Aftermarket TC UCAs
2. remove running boards
3 wheels with -12 offset
4. Trim plastic in wheel wells

I didn’t do BMC, but I’m not rubbing there. I’m rubbing on the sway bar or frame

How often you going to be taking those 1k road trips? I'd definitely look at an LRA tank if the answer is fairly often.

Great find - looks like a real gem.

Do you run an E rated tire or something else?

The exact tires I’m running: 265 /70 R17 115T SL BSW. Wheels are +10 offset and didn’t rub on my 470 when I had it and only rubbed a bit on the 460.

Last edited:
How often you going to be taking those 1k road trips? I'd definitely look at an LRA tank if the answer is fairly often.

Great find - looks like a real gem.
I work a Rotational Job so im hoping to take several this year as i was a bit lazy last year. Having 3-6 weeks off at a time is helpful.
I have checked out the LRA tanks and that is definitely the way to go. For the time being i will probably stick with Gerry cans. Although, its always possible i buy myself an
early birthday present lol.

My build info is in the first post. The rest is the journey!

Im like 2.4” lifted in the front and 2” in the rear. The problem with tires rubbing is not the lift.

Tires rub because the darn wheel wells are small and the stock oem wheels were designed with a +25 offset.

So, to avoid rubbing with minimal mods, stick with skinny tires up to like 10.6” wide and 33” tall.

285/70R17 (33x11.5) will rub and you will need to do a few mods to minimize the rubbing. But I still rub on full lock even after doing the following:

1. Aftermarket TC UCAs
2. remove running boards
3 wheels with -12 offset
4. Trim plastic in wheel wells

I didn’t do BMC, but I’m not rubbing there. I’m rubbing on the sway bar or frame
I believe with the OME I ordered I will be sitting about 2.5" of lift. (I'm assuming the factory rake will be retained). I have emailed Rocky-Road about which springs and shocks come in their set up but I haven't heard back yet. It would be nice to know. For now, I will trust them.

I doubt I will be doing a BMC either. Running boards will go for sure, I'm hesitant to trim any plastic at the moment but I am sure that will pass lol.

Thanks for that info on the tire size/rubbing I will definitely be looking at tall and skinny now.

There’s a thread on wheels and tires here on ih8mud. Make sure to research that thread.

Also, there’s a knowledge base with details of tires/wheels and rubbing experience. It’s at lexusgxor.com

Bottom line is most people like bigger and fatter tires as possible with 285/70R17 being the most popular.

If you want to be practical, an AT in 255/75R17 (32.1x10) and a 265/70R17 (31.6” x 10.4”) give you extra 1” tire height with almost zero mods required (including fitting in spare location). Most people think these tires look small especially if you lift 2.5”

Last edited:
@jonesmt maybe you shoud stsrt a new build thread, so it’s properly named…before you invest a lot of time and energy on this one.

Just move your photos over to the new thread and start over.

This can just be your initial question thread

@jonesmt maybe you shoud stsrt a new build thread, so it’s properly named…before you invest a lot of time and energy on this one.

Just move your photos over to the new thread and start over.

This can just be your initial question thread
^ This

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom