New Member with a Pig Intro (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no problem. I'm gonna jettison a bunch of old land cruiser parts in the near future. getting ready to move out of state in a year or less...

Hi again everyone. Got some clutch shudder going. I need to find someone who can do a clutch install for me. I have the parts coming in a few days, so I really just need to find a trustworthy shop. Does anyone have any recomendatiosn for me? I also ordered the rear main seal, which I think should, be pretty easy with the trans dropped. Anyway, any7 thoughts are welcome. I'm shooting blind calling shops off of a web search.

Thanks in advance,

Do you have a resurfaced flywheel to go with it?

You might pull the few screws on the inspection cover, as it is very reasonable that any given Land Cruiser would have a clutch swap (early to later).

Do you have a resurfaced flywheel to go with it?

You might pull the few screws on the inspection cover, as it is very reasonable that any given Land Cruiser would have a clutch swap (early to later).
I'm not sure resurfaced flywheel, nor am I sure how to even tell. What exactly am I looking for?

Thx in advance

I'm not sure resurfaced flywheel, nor am I sure how to even tell. What exactly am I looking for?

Thx in advance
Digging deep here. The old school clutch was a 3-finger job. The "modern/upgrade" clutch looks like a conventional clutch. Resurfacing the flywheel should be part of the clutch job, done by the shop during install. I don't remember if the flywheels were different between them, and if the clutch will swap.

Also, update your sig to include your stable.

Early clutch:

early clutch.jpg

Late clutch:

late clutch.jpg

Digging deep here. The old school clutch was a 3-finger job. The "modern/upgrade" clutch looks like a conventional clutch. Resurfacing the flywheel should be part of the clutch job, done by the shop during install. I don't remember if the flywheels were different between them, and if the clutch will swap.

Also, update your sig to include your stable.

Early clutch:

View attachment 2463362

Late clutch:

View attachment 2463363
Well shoot. I didn't know you could upgrade. I ordered the old style thinking I had to use that. Is it worth returning it and ordering the new style? Also you say update "sig". What's that? Sorry noob here!

The clutch and throw-out fork must match the flywheel. I don't consider the newer one an upgrade, necessarily. However, if you can get a fresh flywheel, and throw-out bearing before you drop it off at the shop, it will be a one-day event. If you want a donor flywheel I might have a lead or two.

Also, now would be a good time to redo the input shaft seal on the transmission. It is really easy, and is going to keep gear oil off of the clutch, which could be your shudder? I've opened up three boxes in the last couple of years, and all of those seals were cracked from age.

Again, not speaking from experience, but I'd pull the inspection cover, just to see.
So the little inspection cover in the engine bay to find the timing marks is opend and it looks like an older and maybe original flywheel. I'll take a pciture later and post to see what people think. Didn't know about the input shaft seal. Sounds like a no brainer to get done while this thing is opened up! There is a little oil coming off the botton of the cover underneath right before the transfer case (it's a tad wet and I get like 2 drips everytime I park and it cools down, but not a major leak at all) , so maybe that's it's the issue.

As I recall the older flywheel is heaver than the newer. Personally, I think that is a good thing with these tractors. I would stick with the 3-prong clutch.

Also, now would be a good time to redo the input shaft seal on the transmission. It is really easy, and is going to keep gear oil off of the clutch, which could be your shudder? I've opened up three boxes in the last couple of years, and all of those seals were cracked from age.
I agree here.

Well shoot. I didn't know you could upgrade. I ordered the old style thinking I had to use that. Is it worth returning it and ordering the new style? Also you say update "sig". What's that? Sorry noob here!
Go to this post in the FJ40 FAQ. I would recommend you read most of it. BUT, pay attention to post #13 from Jim C.

Bottom line, the TO bearing needs to match the clutch.

Go to this post in the FJ40 FAQ. I would recommend you read most of it. BUT, pay attention to post #13 from Jim C.

Bottom line, the TO bearing needs to match the clutch.
I bought a whole kit with throw out bearing, pilot bearing allignment tool, disk and plate. Just added the seal mentoned here. It's currently a 73, 3 speed and doesnt' appear to be updated.

I noticed nobody mentioned any shops. haha! I did get a direct message with one which I'm goin to check out (thx again). I'm guessing most of you are doing this work on your own. I've been doing as much as I can so far, but I don't have a location or tools to pull the trans and do a clutch. I seem to get the we won't work on older vehicles rap everywehre I've tried so far.

Anyway, this is all tremendously helpful so I really appreciate it.

clutch kit.JPG

The inspection cover is the sheet metal directly under the bellhousing. Both of the flywheels look the same from the timing window.

Also, there is a gasket for the front bearing retainer. That would be removed if the input shaft seal is replaced.

I'd like to see more of this FJ55. Post up pics after the inspection cover is removed.

I bought a whole kit with throw out bearing, pilot bearing allignment tool, disk and plate. Just added the seal mentoned here.

Should be two seals. Engine output seal. Transmission input seal.

I noticed nobody mentioned any shops. haha!

I can tell you who did the clutch in my 4Runner recently. But, I'm not sure I can recommend them. There is a reason I hate letting anybody else work on my junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom