New Member--Glad I found this Site! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting history; it was last owned by a Navy Seal who got killed on a training mission 3 years ago; the guy lead one famous known mission but the father (who sold it to me) swore me to secrecy. The rig has been pretty much unused the past 10 years and has been in the family starting with the Seal's uncle, then the Seal, then his father. The father wanted it to go to a good home and it was somewhat sad because he did not really want to part with it. I think I got a good deal on it ($10K). Nothing but RESPECT for our boys and gals in action--they risk (and sometimes give) their lives for others.

Interesting history; it was last owned by a Navy Seal who got killed on a training mission 3 years ago; the guy lead one famous known mission but the father (who sold it to me) swore me to secrecy. The rig has been pretty much unused the past 10 years and has been in the family starting with the Seal's uncle, then the Seal, then his father. The father wanted it to go to a good home and it was somewhat sad because he did not really want to part with it. I think I got a good deal on it ($10K). Nothing but RESPECT for our boys and gals in action--they risk (and sometimes give) their lives for others.

Welcome new brother... Thanks for sharing the known history of your truck, I believe that strengthens the bond between owner and ride :) and dang if that don’t sound like a great new thread!
Amen to armed forces RESPECT!
BTW... I got you beat - think my wife’s ridden in my truck 3X :cheers:

I’m still in the test drive phase of bringing mine back to life. My wife refuses to ride until I get new belts in at minimum, and getting the doors on too would be better.

@Maryt welcome! That truck is gorgeous. I'd say $10K is a decent deal. I sure would've jumped on it.

If you ever wanna part with that roll bar let me know. ;)

Thanks redeye and will do. I was wondering why the cage was doubled up on top with the flat plate but JohnnyC said it is for sand which makes sense.

Hey, I just noticed the links on your reply JohnnyC---I will definitely look them up--especially the historical data and your resto! m

Sand bars were popular in the 70’s early 80’s ... could be a Downey sand bar ... I’d have to check my catalogs
Might be a Downey, as it looks different than the Con-Ferr sand bar that was in my truck when I bought it. Mine is now performing as an additional workbench in the garage. Haven’t yet decided if I will put it back in, but probably will.

94E4C1FE-8720-4413-889B-CB4229E5377B.jpeg

Welcome new brother... Thanks for sharing the known history of your truck, I believe that strengthens the bond between owner and ride :) and dang if that don’t sound like a great new thread!
Amen to armed forces RESPECT!
BTW... I got you beat - think my wife’s ridden in my truck 3X :cheers:

My wife’s comment on the 40 after her first drive: it sounds like a trash compactor on four wheels!

And to think: I bought it for her! :rolleyes:

Roll bar not a Downey or Con-Ferr. Marty, if you go on the wheeling trips I'm familiar with those rear lights hanging down below your rear crossmember will last a few feet into the trip, and that tail pipe hanging down below the frame might last a minute or two longer. Just saying.

I agree Downey. Heck, I had to wire the tail pipe before I made the trip down to San Diego since it was ready to fall off!! Exhaust is on my list for Off Road Warehouse to take care of; not sure if they have those shops up in Brea but they have a few locations in San Diego area--they did work on my 2014 4Runner--good, knowledgeable guys. Also agree re the rear lights as well and those will be removed pronto. Regarding the rusted off road lights up front, I was thinking of replacing those with the old school KC Daylighters--those are almost $400 for their high end lights but I think they would be more fitting on a 69. M

If you think you might EVER be interested in a rear tank, it would be most efficient if you had your new exhaust plumbed with clearance for that possibility.

Good point 65swb45 ! Reminds me that I need to have fuel tank looked at--when I filled it up on the drive home, it leaked near the top by the cap at the hose--am glad I only dip and don't smoke! Also, I want to find an original fuel cap--should be pretty easy I should think.

Your cap appears to be a factory locking cap; highly desirable by some.

The non-locking caps are NLA. If it turns out you need a new fuel tank and you want to buy it from me, I could sell you an NLA cap with it.

Install a kill switch. Enough said.

I need to do some research--I had no idea that a factory locking cap was an option. I will verify if mine is one. This will be fun. I had a 66 vett (427 matching #, etc) that was very original except for some odds and ends--I had a good time tracking down original parts. This will be more of the same.

So based on my quick research on this site, I am almost certain the gas cap is factory. Like I said, I need to do research before doing anything. I very much appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight--love this website!!

I have the original jack for the rig but man, I can't see how that would be any use in the woods--in fact, it is the opposite of a high lift jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom