New member (FNG) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am new to the land cruiser, I just bought a 92 fj80 with 200k miles. I have been reading threads on here and there has been a lot amount of excellent information.

What do y'all recommend I do up front maintenance wise? I just did an oil change today.

There are a few minor issues such as the hood release, driver door lock unlocking the doors, front passenger window doesn't roll down, and some rust underneath. Overall I think it's a good project and look forward to working on it.

20201118_110038.jpg

Welcome..... good to see another 3fe around.
If you dont know the last time a tune up was done, I'd take care of that first.

Joey at wits end has a complete kit for the 3fe

Welcome! Adjust the throttle and kickdown cables when you do the tune up. They can stretch over time and mess up how it shifts.

Welcome.

Welcome..... good to see another 3fe around.
If you dont know the last time a tune up was done, I'd take care of that first.

Joey at wits end has a complete kit for the 3fe
Thanks! I will check that out. I have a folder of the maintenance that was done over the years. I'll see if I can find the last time up.

Welcome! In what part of NC do you live? The group is pretty scattered, but with larger concentrations in Charlotte and Raleigh /Durham. I have no 3FE words of wisdom for you other than to change the fluids, soft parts and wear items and fix/adjust anything that needs attention. The A440 trans can become a point of contention on the late 60 series (62) and early 80 series trucks. If it becomes a problem, look into an H55 five speed swap. The five speed manual is the bees knees for those trucks.

Welcome! In what part of NC do you live? The group is pretty scattered, but with larger concentrations in Charlotte and Raleigh /Durham. I have no 3FE words of wisdom for you other than to change the fluids, soft parts and wear items and fix/adjust anything that needs attention. The A440 trans can become a point of contention on the late 60 series (62) and early 80 series trucks. If it becomes a problem, look into an H55 five speed swap. The five speed manual is the bees knees for those trucks.

A thing to remember there is a H55 will not bolt up to the full time 80 case. You could mate them using the cruiser black box though but that is quite a bit of extra money. Its something i'm considering with the turbo build.
I can either sink money into the A440 (extreme valve body and TQ converter from WA), try to track down an H151 box that will bolt up to the full time case. Or do a H55, black box to full time case. (I should have prefaced this by saying I don't want to go to a part time case because I like the AWD characteristics of the full time case when the CDL is unlocked)

All of those options aren't super cheap and some are much easier to source than others.

Last edited:

I am in the Charlotte area. And thanks for the input!

I do need to replace a few hoses and such that are starting to get dry. I also discovered my exhaust manifold has lost the nuts to the down pipe. Resulting in a "tick" I'll have to take a pic and post it. It's interesting.

Glad to have you and good luck with the ride.

1606242904476.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom