New Member First Post - 2000 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I just purchased my first LC, a 2000 with 247k miles. I originally started looking at 4x4 Toyotas with the 2UZ, like the 4Runner and Sequoias in the 2000s, but I was keeping the search open to 100-series Cruisers too. I am in Maine, and we have plenty of rust up here. After searching and checking frame after frame, I ended up with this truck under budget.

This is by no means a super clean 100 series - it does need some work (mostly related to rust on the body), but at least it gets me into and familiar with the 100s. Maybe in the future I'll end up getting a cleaner one and keeping this for parts.

The Good:
  • Timing Belt + Water Pump already done (not sure about tensioner, which makes me a bit nervous)
  • Heater T's already replaced
  • New Steering Rack
  • New Fuel Tank (maybe good, not sure if this is a common issue)
  • Pioneer head unit (includes the original factory unit)
The Bad:
  • Rust - the frame has surface rust all over as expected in New England, and will need to be treated. Rockers and fenders have some rust spots starting.
  • Alternator needs replacing (possibly wiring related, have not verified this yet) - 11.5v at the battery
  • Rear shocks are doing nothing - super bouncy
  • Rear springs are a bit pitted - I've broken coil springs before so I am planning on replacing these
  • Missing skid plates and splash guards

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg
IMG_3289.jpg
IMG_3286.jpg

My Use Case and Upgrades

This would probably spend 90% of it's time on paved roads, with the other being a mix of dirt roads and mild off-roading. I also make trips into the North Woods in Maine (3.5 million acres of wilderness and lumber land), and wanted something to handle washboard heavy gravel roads and camping trips.

Upcoming Upgrades & Repairs:
  • Baseline Maintenance - fluid changes, filters, etc.
  • OME 1.5" Rear springs (865) - I spent way too much time reading about springs and settled on this. I was not originally planning on lifting but it's more cost-effective than OEM Toyota springs.
  • New Tires - Still deciding between 265/75R16 and 285/75R16
  • New OEM shocks
  • POR-15 Rust Treatment or something else for the frame, to help it last a bit longer
  • Rocker/Fender Rust repairs - Still looking into this, it is mostly cosmetic but may be required for passing safety inspection in Maine
  • Replacing/adding skid plates and missing splash guards

I have been reading a ton on the forums but I am open to any suggestions on maintenance items or common issues.

Glad to be part of the community!

Welcome!

Always excited to see other folks from Maine on here, I think I may recognize seeing this truck for sale? Also nice to see people willing to pick up rusty trucks, I think on enthusiast forums like this they are often downplayed (and there are good reasons for this) but in our region and for many people's use case a well-used truck makes a lot more sense than a super clean one... Hopefully you can stay on top of the existing rust and this 100 will live a long life!

OEM shocks handle logging roads and washboard well, good choice there. Is the fuel tank leaking? Mine was and I replaced with a Dorman tank from RockAuto.

Good choice getting the 100 over a 4th gen 4Runner or Sequoia, the build quality is generally better despite having the same powerplant and the frame rusts slower (body rusts worse than the frame on LCs in my experience).

Welcome!

Always excited to see other folks from Maine on here, I think I may recognize seeing this truck for sale? Also nice to see people willing to pick up rusty trucks, I think on enthusiast forums like this they are often downplayed (and there are good reasons for this) but in our region and for many people's use case a well-used truck makes a lot more sense than a super clean one... Hopefully you can stay on top of the existing rust and this 100 will live a long life!

OEM shocks handle logging roads and washboard well, good choice there. Is the fuel tank leaking? Mine was and I replaced with a Dorman tank from RockAuto.

Good choice getting the 100 over a 4th gen 4Runner or Sequoia, the build quality is generally better despite having the same powerplant and the frame rusts slower (body rusts worse than the frame on LCs in my experience).
Thank you! Definitely nice to see as well, as I don't see many cruisers on the road up here. This one was on Facebook marketplace in Searsport.

It is definitely tough to find a clean truck around here, and with $8-10k 4Runners and others I looked at having holes in the frame, this one being at least solid was refreshing (it passed the screwdriver test). And I can tell you one thing, I would be a lot more afraid of messing up a clean truck taking it in the woods. I'm hoping for a long life as well, I think with proper maintenance of the frame, and drivetrain of course, it can have one.

The fuel tank is not leaking - the tank was replaced by the guy the previous owner purchased from. I am not sure what it was replaced with, I don't really have much/any written maintenance records but it does look new.

Hey everyone,
I just purchased my first LC, a 2000 with 247k miles. I originally started looking at 4x4 Toyotas with the 2UZ, like the 4Runner and Sequoias in the 2000s, but I was keeping the search open to 100-series Cruisers too. I am in Maine, and we have plenty of rust up here. After searching and checking frame after frame, I ended up with this truck under budget.

This is by no means a super clean 100 series - it does need some work (mostly related to rust on the body), but at least it gets me into and familiar with the 100s. Maybe in the future I'll end up getting a cleaner one and keeping this for parts.

The Good:
  • Timing Belt + Water Pump already done (not sure about tensioner, which makes me a bit nervous)
  • Heater T's already replaced
  • New Steering Rack
  • New Fuel Tank (maybe good, not sure if this is a common issue)
  • Pioneer head unit (includes the original factory unit)
The Bad:
  • Rust - the frame has surface rust all over as expected in New England, and will need to be treated. Rockers and fenders have some rust spots starting.
  • Alternator needs replacing (possibly wiring related, have not verified this yet) - 11.5v at the battery
  • Rear shocks are doing nothing - super bouncy
  • Rear springs are a bit pitted - I've broken coil springs before so I am planning on replacing these
  • Missing skid plates and splash guards

View attachment 3471983

View attachment 3471985

View attachment 3471986 View attachment 3471987 View attachment 3471988

My Use Case and Upgrades

This would probably spend 90% of it's time on paved roads, with the other being a mix of dirt roads and mild off-roading. I also make trips into the North Woods in Maine (3.5 million acres of wilderness and lumber land), and wanted something to handle washboard heavy gravel roads and camping trips.

Upcoming Upgrades & Repairs:
  • Baseline Maintenance - fluid changes, filters, etc.
  • OME 1.5" Rear springs (865) - I spent way too much time reading about springs and settled on this. I was not originally planning on lifting but it's more cost-effective than OEM Toyota springs.
  • New Tires - Still deciding between 265/75R16 and 285/75R16
  • New OEM shocks
  • POR-15 Rust Treatment or something else for the frame, to help it last a bit longer
  • Rocker/Fender Rust repairs - Still looking into this, it is mostly cosmetic but may be required for passing safety inspection in Maine
  • Replacing/adding skid plates and missing splash guards

I have been reading a ton on the forums but I am open to any suggestions on maintenance items or common issues.

Glad to be part of the community!
We are twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom