New LX (2014) owner questions and observations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have owned the 570 for just over a week. What a fantastic ride. We plan to tow with it in the fall so I have some questions on that as well as general stuff. Anyhow, here we go:

Cruise control - the manual says you can move by 1 mph if you barely touch lever. It always moves to the next 0 or 5 when I adjust it. Am I missing something?

My real reason for writing: does this have an external transmission cooler? Most of my searches end up on GX pages so I get confused. I am definitely going to get a scan tool to read the transmission temperature. But since I will be towing (4500 pounds), I want to make sure all is well.

The car has 63k miles on it and has always been to the Lexus dealership. So I logged in and saw they had the 60k service. This dealer does not spell out everything done with that service like some dealers do, but since it says 60k service was done, I am assuming the AHC fluid was changed. I plan to do the front and rear differential fluid myself since I am not convinced that has been done. I am going to to figure out the transfer case.

I am planning to do several drain and fills on the transmission fluid. I read some thread where people had issues having the bolts to the pan shearing off when trying to drop that and am not up for that.

I just completed the tranny fluid exchange on my 2013 at 100k. It’s been a CA Car its whole life so no rust issues. I had no problem dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket. If you are concerned about frozen pan bolts just leave the filter alone and Do a fluid exchange. I ended up going through nearly 15 quarts when 13 should have done it. Lost some fluid doing some bone headed moves At the cooler return line and during the overflow temperature fluid level check.

fluid was nasty looking at 100k. Good idea to swap it out.

I just completed the tranny fluid exchange on my 2013 at 100k. It’s been a CA Car its whole life so no rust issues. I had no problem dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket. If you are concerned about frozen pan bolts just leave the filter alone and Do a fluid exchange. I ended up going through nearly 15 quarts when 13 should have done it. Lost some fluid doing some bone headed moves At the cooler return line and during the overflow temperature fluid level check.

fluid was nasty looking at 100k. Good idea to swap it out.
Thanks for the video link. I will have to give that some thought.

My real reason for writing: does this have an external transmission cooler? Most of my searches end up on GX pages so I get confused. I am definitely going to get a scan tool to read the transmission temperature. But since I will be towing (4500 pounds), I want to make sure all is well.

Yes she has one. A big one. She won't break a sweat towing 4500 lbs.

EDIT: Big ducted thing next to passenger headlight
1623378690780.png

Last edited:
Have you ever heard the aux fan kick on? Under what situations have you/does it?

Can't say I have, probably because it's likely quieter than the crankshaft driven fan. I haven't really listened for it either.

It's probably an A/C condenser fan first, that can also help a bit with radiator cooling. Likely activated by the A/C line temp or pressure, so it would probably come on in hot days and lower speed maneuvering.

I agree on not assuming the AHC was done. When I bought my 2013 with 75k miles I had all fluids changed by my Indy guy, but brought it to the dealer for the AHC when I had the seatbelt recall done. I had to clarify more than a few times that I wasn’t trying to flush the AC lines. The service writer had no idea what I was talking about. I tow a 4500 lbs trailer and have gone about 10k miles towing in the last 1.5 years. I used a Bluetooth tool to keep an eye on temps but stopped bothering when I drove through Arizona and New Mexico in august and the temps never budged. I recommend an equalizer hitch if you don’t already have something you are familiar with. I love that hitch. Also, keep it in fourth gear at all times when towing. Sorry if you’re experienced and I’m telling you stuff you already know, I just know some people have no idea what they’re doing and they end up damaging their vehicles unnecessarily. Enjoy!

I agree on not assuming the AHC was done. When I bought my 2013 with 75k miles I had all fluids changed by my Indy guy, but brought it to the dealer for the AHC when I had the seatbelt recall done. I had to clarify more than a few times that I wasn’t trying to flush the AC lines. The service writer had no idea what I was talking about. I tow a 4500 lbs trailer and have gone about 10k miles towing in the last 1.5 years. I used a Bluetooth tool to keep an eye on temps but stopped bothering when I drove through Arizona and New Mexico in august and the temps never budged. I recommend an equalizer hitch if you don’t already have something you are familiar with. I love that hitch. Also, keep it in fourth gear at all times when towing. Sorry if you’re experienced and I’m telling you stuff you already know, I just know some people have no idea what they’re doing and they end up damaging their vehicles unnecessarily. Enjoy!
I am not going to take offense at anyone offering help and advice. I have a Huskey weight distribution hitch with sway control that I use now. I have been towing with a Tahoe. That has a built in transmission temperature display. Switch back climbs made the transmission really heat up (210 degrees F) vs regular mountain climbs. You story of towing in hot temperatures sounds very promising.

I guess I could bleed off a little of one of the AHC lines and see if the fluid looks brand new or dirty.

If you need better pictures of the cooler I have more footage from the making of the Youtube video:

this particular picture was taken from

Cheers !

Last edited:
If you need better pictures of the cooler I have more footage from the making of the Youtube video:

this articular picture was taken from

Cheers !

For whatever reason, I was looking in front of the radiator on the driver's side for the cooler. Ha. I have no idea why it never crossed my mind to check the passenger side. Thanks for posting. That definitely answers my question.

Hell, I wasn't aware that our 200's had transmission coolers lol. You learn something new every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom