new LC200 owner from MA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, greetings from Massachusetts. Just purchased a 2013 LC200, with 165k miles, one previous owner. I have been reading up posts here for a while, and now that I am finally a proud LC owner, I can finally sign up, and hopefully contribute back to the community.

What I intend to do, is to record videos of everything I will do to "rejuvenize" this great beast, and share it with the community. I will do my best to provide good video quality and provide as many details as possible. Here is the list of things I plan to do:

- De-rust: (it is a giant topic by itself)
for the folks down south, this is probably not what you have to worry about at all. Unfortunately, up here in NE or the rust belt in general, this is what we deal with every year everywhere. The previous owner did not take good care of the rust problem, though it is still fixable, it has been taking much of my time lately as the main project. There are lots of urban myths about de-rusting and rust proofing, I will also provide a systematic in-depth presentation about this topic in general, so to settle the myth vs truth once for all for all the community. I have a Ph.D. in engineering which comes in handy. The goal is to save others from going down the wrong path with wasted time and money.

- Grease, transfer fluid, ATM fluid, differential fluid, etc. all maintenance:
Again this is more geared towards how to do that to a $165k mile truck, with the possibilities that the previous owner NEVER changed these fluids. Different considerations than with a relatively new LC.

- Upgrades:
Once I am done with the much-needed tune-up, the truck is ready for upgrades. A few areas to start: 1) Skid plates, most likely bud built. 2) suspension systems, have not made my mind on exactly what I need, will post more when it comes to the time.

-Off-roading:
Happy to connect to folks here, especially NE for some off-roading ventures in spring.

Again humbled to join the community, and look forward to exciting times. Happy holidays!

Congrats! Once this pandemic stuff is under control, it'd be great to get together for a drive (I'm in VT).

Congrats! Once this pandemic stuff is under control, it'd be great to get together for a drive (I'm in VT).
that is awesome!!! very much looking forward to it Charlie! I just joined the group-buy thread of BB skid plate, hope to receive them in time for spring outings hah!

Bud built group buy is on now. Very aggressive discount.

JT here in RI- just got my Woolwax undercoat on my new black HE. Looking forward to your rust thoughts, planning to keep this shiny & nice for awhile, but steadily get off-road more and more.

Congrats and welcome!!

I'd be happy to hook up in spring as well!

For corrosion protection I like Corrosion Free. Posted on this previously, but in short it is stink-free more durable Fluid Film.

Subscribed. Congrats.
What ever you do to the under carriage prepare to do it once a year or so to keep the road salt at bay. The rear brake dust plate should be preped and painted ASAP.

Last edited:
200 driver here (also built Hundy) in the north shore. Congrats on the purchase! Curious to see what you do with rust restoration and protection. my 2015 is fairly clean, but I need to start doing some preventative measures.

Good to have you on the board. You’re a brave person to buy a 7-8 year old LC in the NE that hasn’t been cared for! I look forward to your adding to the collective wisdom here on Mud about rust prevention and treatment. Start with those KDSS valves! And put the HVAC into recirculate before replacing the cabin filter.

Good to have you on the board. You’re a brave person to buy a 7-8 year old LC in the NE that hasn’t been cared for! I look forward to your adding to the collective wisdom here on Mud about rust prevention and treatment. Start with those KDSS valves! And put the HVAC into recirculate before replacing the cabin filter.
haha I hear you! I initially planned to drive down to FL/NC/SC to get one without any rust issues, but the pandemic has made it very difficult to do something like that this year. Looked at almost 10+ LC200 in NE in the last 6 months, and finally settled on this one. Compared to those I looked at, this one has the least amount of rust. Unfortunately, this is the best I can do. Had to do this, love to have a new truck, but cant afford it.

Congrats! CT here. I ended getting a TX truck. My rust proofing technique is woolwax and not drive it in the winter 😅

Hey guys, greetings from Massachusetts. Just purchased a 2013 LC200, with 165k miles, one previous owner. I have been reading up posts here for a while, and now that I am finally a proud LC owner, I can finally sign up, and hopefully contribute back to the community.

What I intend to do, is to record videos of everything I will do to "rejuvenize" this great beast, and share it with the community. I will do my best to provide good video quality and provide as many details as possible. Here is the list of things I plan to do:

- De-rust: (it is a giant topic by itself)
for the folks down south, this is probably not what you have to worry about at all. Unfortunately, up here in NE or the rust belt in general, this is what we deal with every year everywhere. The previous owner did not take good care of the rust problem, though it is still fixable, it has been taking much of my time lately as the main project. There are lots of urban myths about de-rusting and rust proofing, I will also provide a systematic in-depth presentation about this topic in general, so to settle the myth vs truth once for all for all the community. I have a Ph.D. in engineering which comes in handy. The goal is to save others from going down the wrong path with wasted time and money.

- Grease, transfer fluid, ATM fluid, differential fluid, etc. all maintenance:
Again this is more geared towards how to do that to a $165k mile truck, with the possibilities that the previous owner NEVER changed these fluids. Different considerations than with a relatively new LC.

- Upgrades:
Once I am done with the much-needed tune-up, the truck is ready for upgrades. A few areas to start: 1) Skid plates, most likely bud built. 2) suspension systems, have not made my mind on exactly what I need, will post more when it comes to the time.

-Off-roading:
Happy to connect to folks here, especially NE for some off-roading ventures in spring.

Again humbled to join the community, and look forward to exciting times. Happy holidays!
Shoot me a dm if you ever find yourself on ACK and want a tour of Great Pt. and Coatue.

Congratulations from RI! Looking forward to your anti-rust efforts. I went with cosmoline, but am thinking of adding something like Fluid Film in certain places where creeping abilities would help with nooks and crannies.

Welcome
I am up in Maine and started with fluid film and now am using woolwax. Very pleased with the results. I bought one of the application kits and started with twice a year fluid film and now do annual woolwax
I find these trucks are amazing in the snow so do my best to keep them as rust free as possible.
Good luck and welcome.
John

I am from Upstate, NY. Syracuse/Albany Area. While I am a few weeks from receiving my new 200 base, the intent is to once I get it to my shop in Albany, to put it on lifts, remove skid plates and hot water pressure wash the whole vehicle and underside using Krown Salt Eliminator Foam. Once it resolves the salts and is flushed and dry, we will use Waxoyl Hard Wax on the underside and Waxoyl 120 Cavity Wax in all the hidden areas of the hood, fenders, rocker panels, doors and pinch welds etc. I can attest to the fact that we run several Tundras, 2008 an on as well as Dodge Ram 3500's that we have used this treatment on and gotten over 200,000 miles without frame or panel rust.

We did buy a preowned 2008 Ram 5500 that had a bunch of corrosion under it. We hired a dustless blasting company to come and blast the whole frame etc down to clean metal, then painted it with POR15 paint and then applied the Waxoyl over that. For what these vehicles cost, in the NE, protection is critical.

As is washing often. I will run through the carwash 3-4 times a week. Local carwashes offer a monthly unlimited plan. Use it. It is worth the money, especially in the winter months.

Just my $0.02.

2015-07-28 22.33.38.jpg

IMG_0485.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom