New keys & tumblers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the FSM have column disassembly instruction to be able to get to the ignition tumbler? I really really need to get to mine to clean it out so it turns easier on the cold mornings. Like I said before, these teen and 20s nights are killing it.

So sure enough the code is on the passenger door tumbler. Literally held in place with a little locking shim kind of thing that usually holds brake hoses in place. About 2 minutes at a key place and it was done.

B4A94345-EC20-4F5B-AD7D-EF047CBECDE4.jpeg

I wonder if I could replace the tumblers in my rear wagon gear tailgate storage with matching tumblers? Same with my tuffy console. Would be nice to have 1 key to rule them all.

Has anyone ever had an issue where door locks and ignition seem to open/start with any key you put in there? My drivers door, ignition, and tailgate will work with pretty much anything i put in there.

I talked to a locksmith and he quoted $150 per lock. I don't really have ~$750 laying around for this! Would gummed up locking mechanisms cause this problem? I am thinking of taking them apart one by one and cleaning and re-greasing them.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Its a little unnerving knowing anyone can get in my car and drive off into the night with it!

Has anyone ever had an issue where door locks and ignition seem to open/start with any key you put in there? My drivers door, ignition, and tailgate will work with pretty much anything i put in there.

I talked to a locksmith and he quoted $150 per lock. I don't really have ~$750 laying around for this! Would gummed up locking mechanisms cause this problem? I am thinking of taking them apart one by one and cleaning and re-greasing them.

Any help or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!! Its a little unnerving knowing anyone can get in my car and drive off into the night with it!

This is just a symptom of old locks being worn from years of use. I ran into this same thing the other day when I locked my keys in my 60. I grabbed a key to my troopy and it opened the door right up.

I’m my line of work I deal with car thieves frequently. Many carry around worn auto keys or ones they have files down called “jiggle keys” and they make swiping older imports a piece of cake.

Replacing all locks and ignition is definitely on the short list of things to do.

Went out looking for a re-key kit, and not having much luck. It is such old lock, but all the re-key kits seem to be 89 and up.

Key blank, with cross ref at bottom

https://mysecuritypro.com/ToyotaTR33KeyBlanks.aspx

1981-1990 Toyota Landcruiser Key Blanks

Key interchange codes for blanks

TR33 TR33-P X137 T61C T61C-P, 692077, JA87 993L A74L TR-36 TR36 MT2P TO33R TY53P, TY35P MIT2P MS11P MTI3P PMHI6 TR-33PH TY29RP, MIT2RP MIT-2D.P PTYA82 TOY27RP TOYO-12.P

looks like the kit, but doesnt list older cruisers,
Auto Security Products Hyundai, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Toyota keying kit
ASP A 30 106
Toyota
4-Runner 1990 – 1995
Celica 1990 – 1993
Corolla 1988 – 1992
Cressida 1989 – 1992
Echo 2000 – 2002
Hilux 1989 – 1995
Land Cruiser 1991 – 1997

ASP A 30 106

http://www.hemitchell.com/automotive/auto-asp/auto-pinning-kits/auto-security-products-acura-asuna-chevrolet-chrysler-daihatsu-dodge-eagle-geo-hino-honda-hyundai-isuzu-kia-mitsubishi-plymouth-pontiac-suzuki-toyota-keying-kit.html

or

ASP A-30-117 Toyota Wide Tumbler Kit for Older Split Tumblers 4 & 7 Locks - Code Series 10000-15000 - Replace the Split Tumblers with Solid ones (A30117)

list of tumbler wafers p-30-161, thru p-30-164 ?

http://www.hemitchell.com/media/cat...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/aspa30150.jpg

If there is a dealer key kit, would be worth picking one up, just so you could replace those first tumblers. There is a reason these trucks are so easy to steal, they can all be picked with a simple master key. Would be nice to upgrade to the later keyways for the 91 and later locks.

Bay listing for a set, no rear hatch 180.00

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 Complete Door Lock Set With Fuel Cover Lock (1981-1987) | eBay

THE forum

https://www.lockpicking101.com/

Last edited:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Its a little unnerving knowing anyone can get in my car and drive off into the night with it!
I have the same issue and haven’t found a locksmith that both knew what he was doing and wasn’t charging an arm/leg.

Can anyone recommend a locksmith? I can send the doors and rear hatch locks for rekeying.

I ended up finding what i hope to be the same parts on Ebay for quite a bit cheaper.

Ignition Lock Cylinder LOCKSMART LC14820 fits 79-83 Toyota Pickup | eBay

Ignition Lock Cylinder LOCKSMART LC14820 fits 79-83 Toyota Pickup | eBay

It also seems like you can get a new lock cylinder from Toyota in the USA still, i have not ordered this part yet though as it is pretty pricy!

6905590A06 - Cylinder & key set, back door lock - Genuine Toyota Part

and in canada,

6905590A06 - Toyota Cylinder & key set, back door lock. Land, cruiser | Toyota Parts Direct, London ON

I am going to open up this lock and see if theres anything i can do before i bite the bullet and order it.

My plan is to go with 3 seperate keys for the vehicle for a while, and eventually get the locks re-keyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom