New Head Unit Buzzing Noise (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Feel free to move if theres an audio section on here, I couldn't find it.

I started woking on installing a new head unit today. My 2000 LC has an aftermarket Kenwood head unit in it, however it's almost 10 years old at this point. That head unit has an aftermarket harness that matches the colors of the new harness I got with my new head unit. So, everything was a no-brainer in terms of wiring up to the new harness.

The existing setup has RCA cables coming out of the *old* aftermarket harness that plugged into my existing head unit which should just transfer over into the new head unit.

The problem is, I have sound, but theres a loud and constant buzzing/humming noise, even at sound level 1.

I did some research, tried grounding the RCA ports to the head unit as a few people recommended, made sure my ground is solid on the harness/head unit, but still suffer from the chronic buzzing.

I'd really love to figure this out before giving up and taking it to an audio shop.

I should note that besides the old aftermarket Kendwood head unit, everything else on the vehicle is STOCK in terms of audio equipment.

Any thoughts? TIA

Ground wire?

Amp bypass/disconnect is probably what you need, search the threads for that write up. I tried the bypass kit in mine but ended up having to disconnect the amp under the passenger seat for the buzzing to completely go away.

Ground wire?
I checked the ground and tried a different grounding location as well.

I think it’s an issue or interference with the amp.

bypass the amp. this is beat to death on this forum, just do some searching.
Thanks for this. I’ve never heard of this or ever cared about anything audio related on the LC until now apparently lol.

Thanks for this. I’ve never heard of this or ever cared about anything audio related on the LC until now apparently lol.

No worries. Lot’s of discussion over something simple, nothing works other than bypassing the amp. It’s simple to do too :)

No worries. Lot’s of discussion over something simple, nothing works other than bypassing the amp. It’s simple to do too :)
Do you mind if I shoot you a PM about it? I read a few threads and think I understand but want to be sure.

A7D924E3-275B-4D01-AEF6-EFEAA9977723.jpeg
Attached is a picture of the current aftermarket harness, the grey/white/purple/green wires are for the RCA plugs and theres a black that grounds all 4 of them. On the factory car harness side, they are pink/yellow/white/red.

To bypass the AMP, do I just match the 4 colors on the factory harness (pink/yellow/white/red) to the wires on the plug of the amp?

When bypassing the amp, I wired each speaker individually. I located the wires (-/+) for RF, LF, RR, LR and ran wires from where they connected at the amp straight to the headunit.

When bypassing the amp, I wired each speaker individually. I located the wires (-/+) for RF, LF, RR, LR and ran wires from where they connected at the amp straight to the headunit.
Right, so according to how my current harness is wired, the RCA cables go into the 4 pins that are the yellow, pink, red and white as shown below on the far left side.

Below is the AMP harness, but it’s the same configuration at the harness behind the head unit.
E0AA7043-0103-45E0-B3EC-28DA2DD68BF4.jpeg

What doesn’t make sense to me is that the TLCFAQ above totally contradicts what those wires are.

I don't remember using any RCA cables at all. You are essentially using direct wiring from the headunit to each speaker individually.

I ran 4x -/+ from the leads on the headunit to the amp location and then took the output wires from the amp and connected them directly to the headunit.

I'm not sure which wires you are holding in your photo, but mine were next to the amp under the passenger seat and looked exactly like the TLCFAQ guide.

I don't remember using any RCA cables at all. You are essentially using direct wiring from the headunit to each speaker individually.

I ran 4x -/+ from the leads on the headunit to the amp location and then took the output wires from the amp and connected them directly to the headunit.

I'm not sure which wires you are holding in your photo, but mine were next to the amp under the passenger seat and looked exactly like the TLCFAQ guide.
this is exactly like what I did.

if you want to PM me go for it, happy to help. But I know Kyle did this more recently than I did (Kyle is my good buddy).

Don't use those RCA's, leave them unplugged. You will need to add wire to the 4(-) and 4(+) wires in harness you got with the radio, long enough to jump over the amp and tie into the 4(-) and 4(+) wires going to the 4 speakers. Note that this will no longer send a signal to the sub (but it's terrible anyways, you won't even notice).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom