New (for me) 80-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, wanting an 80-series for decades, and haphazardly looking for one about 5-years now (Yeah, I know, I should have bought before COVID hit), finally picked one up a couple weeks ago.

Triple Locked 96 with 241K miles. The best thing is it's rust free, other than a couple little brackets that hold something on the engine, etc.

Bought is locally here in Colorado, and found it on Craigslist. It checked all my boxes except the higher mileage, but hey, the price was very reasonable. I was looking for a 95-97 with cloth seats, triple locked, and under 200K. I wasn't ready or willing to pay BaT prices. Being rust free was the biggest aspect of my search other than pricing.

It's not perfect by any means, lost of little things from the typical "D" light burnt out, power antenna broken, knobs missing off the OEM radio, to the typical scratches and dings that a 26-year old vehicle would have.

My first experience with the 80-series started when we deployed to Desert Storm, and our little group got a brand new 80-series from a local leasing agent because of the shortage of vehicles. I thought it was an awesome vehicle, drove like a dream at 120-KmH (~75mph) on the highway, and it just wouldn't get stuck in the sand, but that 3FE had to be pushed and rev'ed to keep it going in the sand. I loved the 5-speed, as I'm a manual transmission guy.

After such a long absence from driving an 80, I was really surprised how well balanced it drives on ice and hard packed snow covered roads, almost the exact same feel as my 200 series. I haven't had time to drive it much, as we've been getting hammered with lots of snow this year, and it seems like all I do in my waking hours is snow removal.

Down the rabbit hole I go, as I'm already getting another 80 from another Mud member here in a couple months. I'll let him make the announcement when that time comes.

IMG_20230116_152429542_HDR.jpg
00Z0Z_6dlCPiUw20Oz_0h80l4_600x450.jpg

Welcome back to the 80s. That’s an odd (and beautiful) bird. 96 with cloth and the Ctr console or console lid from an early 80 too. Nice color repaint as well. Do you know the color? Looks somewhere between pacific and Calvary blue. But looks great regardless.

Welcome back to the 80s. That’s an odd (and beautiful) bird. 96 with cloth and the Ctr console or console lid from an early 80 too. Nice color repaint as well. Do you know the color? Looks somewhere between pacific and Calvary blue. But looks great regardless.

Original paint, which is Moon Shadow Pearl. The clear coat on the hood is basically gone, and the drivers door was replaced sometime in the past, as you can see the red paint appearing around the door handle, and under a sticker that came off the inside. Otherwise, everything else is original with a small dent on the rear hatch.

IMG_20230106_121917698_HDR~2.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the right rear sliding window was replaced by a solid piece of glass sometime in the past.

Last edited:
Original paint, which is Moon Shadow Pearl. The clear coat on the hood is basically gone, and the drivers door was replaced sometime in the past, as you can see the red paint appearing around the door handle, and under a sticker that came off the inside. Otherwise, everything else is original with a small dent on the rear hatch.

View attachment 3221274
Nice 80 and welcome here. Can you take a picture of the VIN label for us? That doesn’t look at all Moon Glow Pearl. Looks like a paint job in another color or trick photography.

Nice 80 and welcome here. Can you take a picture of the VIN label for us? That doesn’t look at all Moon Glow Pearl. Looks like a paint job in another color or trick photography.

Moon "Shadow" Pearl

Since the drivers door was replaced, that sticker with VIN is gone. I can get a picture of the VIN off the dash placard.

I looked pretty hard, and don't see any signs of repaint other than that drivers door. Can my color be off from what I thought it was?

Moon "Shadow" Pearl

Since the drivers door was replaced, that sticker with VIN is gone. I can get a picture of the VIN off the dash placard.

I looked pretty hard, and don't see any signs of repaint other than that drivers door. Can my color be off from what I thought it was?
I think you mean Nightshadow Pearl. The color of your cruiser looks brighter like jfz80 mentioned above. Either way, glad to have you.

Edit: FJ80 Color Code Examples - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj80-color-code-examples.1035223/

8FBA79F4-08CF-41A4-8EE6-C318A2A05550.png

Last edited:
Yeah that looks way brighter and more blue, probably a repaint

Here's a picture from the PO.

Only mods are a 2-1/2" OME lift installed by Slee Off-road, who also replaced all the belt's and hoses right before it turned 200K.

Screenshot_20221219-112730.png

Pictures of the drivers door showing it's not original and repainted.

IMG_20230106_122009800_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230106_122014155.jpg

And that dent on the rear hatch.

IMG_20230106_122029120.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like an original Medium Red Pearl underneath. And the new paint color sure isn’t Night Shadow Pearl.

Not sure how you can say you see no signs of a repaint - as I see several in the few photos you’ve posted.

That looks like an original Medium Red Pearl underneath. And the new paint color sure isn’t Night Shadow Pearl.

Not sure how you can say you see no signs of a repaint - as I see several in the few photos you’ve posted.

No repaint other than the door that was replaced. If you're interested in making an offer on the truck, I can provide additional photos of the stickers and specific areas showing no signs of repaint.

Last edited:
I don't have it officially listed for sale. I have someone locally coming to look at it later this week.

I have another 96 that will be getting a new factory motor (short block and head), rebuilt transmission by ATF, part time 4x4 conversion, etc., and the body is like new, so this one will be going bye bye sooner than later.

As I mentioned earlier, the driver's side door was replaced some time in the past. So there is no door tag to show.
Yep, you sure did. Too bad they didn’t salvage the sticker. What are you asking for the cruiser?

Previous owner was going to turn it into an overland rig, and had a dual battery installed with OEM tray. Not currently hooked up, as he found a 100-series to go that direction with.

IMG_20230122_124704018_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230106_122107448_HDR.jpg

My factory nightshadow pearl 8K0 looks nothing like that. That looks exactly like what sherman williams sold me in a touch up spray can based off the code 8K0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom