New FJ62 Trip Home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
After a few years, I found myself a 1980 62 down in Miami.
Looks great and has 277k, bought it from a guy with a handful of 40s and 60s. It spent 16 years in Texas, 13 years in California, and the rest in Florida.
Anyways, I was thinking about shipping it home over the 1200 miles, but it sounds way more fun (and possibly headache inducing) to fly over and drive it home.
The guy doesn't sound opposed to driving it that distance, but driving an unknown vehicle has it's cons.
I'm guessing that because of his love and familiarity of LCs, it has had enough pm to get it home at least, where I can perform all the service it may need.
Once I get there, I'll be able to really check it out and determine what I'll need to swap in the auto parts store parking lot while loading up on fluids.
I'm making my tire kicking list, but wanted to get some input from you guys to make sure I'm not missing anything. Ive not owned a 60-series before, so I'm guessing there are some things I'm not thinking of.

It will be a trip west on I-10 mainly, keeping at a comfortable RPM.

Thanks,

Screenshot_2022-07-16-11-31-30-44_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Hey everyone,
After a few years, I found myself a 1980 62 down in Miami.
Looks great and has 277k, bought it from a guy with a handful of 40s and 60s. It spent 16 years in Texas, 13 years in California, and the rest in Florida.
Anyways, I was thinking about shipping it home over the 1200 miles, but it sounds way more fun (and possibly headache inducing) to fly over and drive it home.
The guy doesn't sound opposed to driving it that distance, but driving an unknown vehicle has it's cons.
I'm guessing that because of his love and familiarity of LCs, it has had enough pm to get it home at least, where I can perform all the service it may need.
Once I get there, I'll be able to really check it out and determine what I'll need to swap in the auto parts store parking lot while loading up on fluids.
I'm making my tire kicking list, but wanted to get some input from you guys to make sure I'm not missing anything. Ive not owned a 60-series before, so I'm guessing there are some things I'm not thinking of.

It will be a trip west on I-10 mainly, keeping at a comfortable RPM.

Thanks,

View attachment 3062163
Picture of the engine bay for consideration.

IMG_20220718_070053.jpg

IMG_20220718_070130.jpg

IMG_20220718_070153.jpg

Beautiful rig. Fly and buy is definitely a good way to learn about your vehicle. All you need is a AAA and credit card to drive this adventure. Keep us posted and good luck with everything.

Do you mean you got a 1990 FJ62? I am pretty sure there was no 62 option in 1980.

As to the drive home 1200 miles should be a good bonding period for you and your new family member. I did a 2000+ mile fly and drive when I picked up my 84 FJ60. I mostly drove about 65 mph and the truck was pretty happy at that speed. I had the Gold level triple A plan, a tool kit, a bunch of roadside repair items like tape, clamps, hoses, belts, etc with me. I had to fix one heater hose on the the trip and I stopped part way home to have the tires balanced (which helped but didn't solve the tire vibration issues).

If the guy has a stable full of 40’s & 60’s he should have a drawer full of service records & fluid changes to gauge your chance of success and necessary cargo of replacement parts. You’ll have a cool ride choice traveling up either coastline of Florida till you head West on I-10 at highway speeds. I’d spread my trip out over 3-4 days ( I doubt the old girl could withstand a marathon at her age) and check out possible MUD “Cruiser Mechanic” locations along your route. Just update your AAA MEMBERSHIP TO PREMIER STATUS to assure yourself maximum towing mileage. The term “bonding” may be the best of many descriptive adjectives to describe your trip home…go for it…I would! Send us your journal updates along the way.

If the guy has a stable full of 40’s & 60’s he should have a drawer full of service records & fluid changes to gauge your chance of success and necessary cargo of replacement parts. You’ll have a cool ride choice traveling up either coastline of Florida till you head West on I-10 at highway speeds. I’d spread my trip out over 3-4 days ( I doubt the old girl could withstand a marathon at her age) and check out possible MUD “Cruiser Mechanic” locations along your route. Just update your AAA MEMBERSHIP TO PREMIER STATUS to assure yourself maximum towing mileage. The term “bonding” may be the best of many descriptive adjectives to describe your trip home…go for it…I would! Send us your journal updates along the way.

in my "Bonding" time I learned :

1. an FJ60 steering wheel feels like holding onto a piece of fence wire after an hour of driving
2 .the seats and seating position is very lacking if you are over 5' tall
3. The lack of cruise control is exhausting
4. Steering input on tight corners was horrendous (later massively improved with new and better tires).

The 62 has a fatter steering wheel but same seating issues. When you get home I bet you will be researching one of the various seat swap threads. Honestly for me an aftermarket steering wheel, a better seat, and cruise or a hand throttle for long runs at a constant speed really would make the world of difference

Did you get a shipping quote? Gas + Multi-Night Hotels + Risk of Stranded = Worth paying to ship

Only issue for me on long runs is no cruise. For whatever reason the angle of my foot on the skinny pedal just kills after a few hours at my age. Bring a "hand throttle" (aka wooden stick) to mash on the gas while you give your foot a break. But as mentioned its the best way to get to know your truck. The thrill of feeling like every mile is a roll of the dice cannot be matched. The constant wonder while driving along of "did I win or loose" is spectacular. But just the best way to do it and provides for hours of fun and excitement for the rest of us if interested in posting deets on your trip. Think of it as giving back to the community. :popcorn: ready.

Congrats on the purchase and have a blast.

Only issue for me on long runs is no cruise. For whatever reason the angle of my foot on the skinny pedal just kills after a few hours at my age. Bring a "hand throttle" (aka wooden stick) to mash on the gas while you give your foot a break. But as mentioned its the best way to get to know your truck. The thrill of feeling like every mile is a roll of the dice cannot be matched. The constant wonder while driving along of "did I win or loose" is spectacular. But just the best way to do it and provides for hours of fun and excitement for the rest of us if interested in posting deets on your trip. Think of it as giving back to the community. :popcorn: ready.

Congrats on the purchase and have a blast.

Same for me...I ended up getting some foam padding to put under my right thigh to help better position my foot on the gas pedal...also ended up padding out my foot. It

The thrill of feeling like every mile is a roll of the dice cannot be matched. The constant wonder while driving along of "did I win or loose" is spectacular.
LOL. So relatable. Drove a high mileage POS Bj60 from Calgary, BC to Reno Nevada. Made it just fine but definitely have some grey hairs from anxiety…

This is true...but if you want some adventure then its worth the risk.
A lot will depend on what we consider an adventure. If you make it home = Adventure. If it strands you 800 miles from home in a podunk town not near any airport = Non=Adventure.
Regardless it will be a story!

Do you mean you got a 1990 FJ62? I am pretty sure there was no 62 option in 1980.

As to the drive home 1200 miles should be a good bonding period for you and your new family member. I did a 2000+ mile fly and drive when I picked up my 84 FJ60. I mostly drove about 65 mph and the truck was pretty happy at that speed. I had the Gold level triple A plan, a tool kit, a bunch of roadside repair items like tape, clamps, hoses, belts, etc with me. I had to fix one heater hose on the the trip and I stopped part way home to have the tires balanced (which helped but didn't solve the tire vibration issues).
Yep, fat fingered the 8, it's a 90.

So I had a shipper call me this morning with really good price, cheaper than what I had planned for the trip, to pick it up at noon, and have it here Wednesday.
I really wanted to take that trip, but I guess I can always do it later in after I get it home and give it a full PM regimen.

So I had a shipper call me this morning with really good price, cheaper than what I had planned for the trip, to pick it up at noon, and have it here Wednesday.
I really wanted to take that trip, but I guess I can always do it later in after I get it home and give it a full PM regimen.

Cool looking truck. Make sure you have a FSM with you and clear the following 3-4 days on your schedule just in case. Tools and an ohmmeter too.
I was gonna fly over Wednesday night, give myself til Sunday night, but now I get to use those days to go over everything. My boss heard me talking to the shipper today and thought I might rescind my vacation days, I was like "heck no bro, I'm gonna be elbow deep in 30 year old dirt and grease now.

I'll definitely post more pics when it gets here, and of the first drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom