New FJ40 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this 1970 FJ40 sight unseen from a member here on mud that had pretty much given up on the project. I had it shipped over to Georg and his crew at Valley Hybrids up in Stockton, California and they did a mechanical baseline to get it running and driving (tie rod ends, new electronic points, rebuilt the carb, fixed transfer case, fuel lines, filler neck, and numerous other small items).

I had it shipped to Georgia and it showed up in much better shape than I expected. Rust is very minimal and even the back lip is solid. There is some rust on the rockers, but not bad at all. It runs great! First bump and it fires up and runs like a sewing machine. It has a the stock F motor, aluminum radiator, Holley carb, new alternator, disc brake conversion, 4 speed transmission, power steering conversion, etc.

I have a 60 series, but have never owned a 40 so I'll be doing a ton of research and asking a ton of questions. I look forward to getting this 40 back up to spec.

I found some paint in the floor area and it appears as if it was Fashion Green originally which is awesome because I wanted to paint it this color.

The number one issue is it has some crazy steering / stability issues. I found a receipt from the former owner and he had taken it in for this issue. I'm guessing it is either something off on the steering configuration or caster or the saginaw box is the wrong ratio. It's just very squirrelly when you are driving it and touch the wheel; going straight it's fine.

I need to figure out what I am missing or how to get the heater box set up. (currently it's hanging on the floor lol).

Some pics from where it was when I purchased it:

cruiser 2.jpg
cruiser 1.jpg

I have the FJ60 steering box and it is a little quicker than I expected. But the difference between the old armstrong steering that was more aiming than steering and what I have now is worth every penny. You will become spoiled to the easy steering.

Congrats!
Thanks!

Looking good. A Tight close ratio Saginaw box can feel squirrely until you get used to it
I'll give it some time and see how it does once I get used to it. I was reading about 4 turn vs 2 turn boxes, etc. I guess the only way to know what mine is, is to actually turn it left to right and see how many revolutions the steering wheel takes to complete the cycle?

I have the FJ60 steering box and it is a little quicker than I expected. But the difference between the old armstrong steering that was more aiming than steering and what I have now is worth every penny. You will become spoiled to the easy steering.
Good to know! Mine is very touchy, but I don't feel it's unsafe. I just want to make sure it isn't going to be a safety concern.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! BTW, your bezel (for the grill) is upside-down.
haha I noticed that when it arrived, but I didn't have time to mess with it. I did a ten hour drive to Georgia, trailered the FJ40 back to my house from Atlanta, and drove ten hours back to D.C. I'll get to it one day!

Also, it seems the gas tank builds a lot of fuel pressure so something else I'll need to check on. The hard top is in excellent shape, but the front lip trim piece isn't on it now. It looks like someone had riveted it on before. Any ideas how I'd get the bolts anchored back into the fiberglass?

This piece:

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 11.46.21 AM.png

Edit: it's not the weatherstrip, but the metal trim piece that attaches to the hard top roof which would sit on this weatherstrip piece.

Glad to see that found a new home! Congrats!

That metal piece is riveted to the fiberglass and then bolted to the windshield frame. If you’re able to secure one of those pieces make sure to align while the roof is on the car as there are slight variations - mine was off almost 1/2” so I have an awkward gap that I filled with weatherstrip.

Also another option for the pressurized tank is to remove the little check valve that comes off the tank. I took mine out and problem solved.

Since you now have a 40, you won't be needing the 60. You can just ship the 60 up to RI to me. Thanks in advance.
haha

Glad to see that found a new home! Congrats!

That metal piece is riveted to the fiberglass and then bolted to the windshield frame. If you’re able to secure one of those pieces make sure to align while the roof is on the car as there are slight variations - mine was off almost 1/2” so I have an awkward gap that I filled with weatherstrip.

Also another option for the pressurized tank is to remove the little check valve that comes off the tank. I took mine out and problem solved.
Great info thank you. I do have the piece of metal and the old rivets are still there so that might be a good starting point. That makes much more sense now. I didn't realize that piece was bolted riveted to the top and then it was bolted to the frame.

Congratulations fjdemon! Your FJ 40 is nice.
Thank you

Awesome 40 and 60!

Merry Cruise-mas!

View attachment 1597697
Thanks! Hope you all had a good one too.

Last edited:
<<<<this.

It rivets to the fiberglass and bolts to the windshield frame...
HTH,
Will
PS. Nice find with that cruiser.
Oops.. I meant riveted to the top and then bolted to the windshield frame. Thanks, looking forward to getting the project going.

Congrats on your 40. I agree that Fashion Green is a great color.

I remember seeing your 40 in the classifieds and thinking it was a pretty fair deal. Glad it stayed in the mud community. My buddies and I have a tendency to buy/sell cars off of each other and we refer to it as "The circle of junk". Maybe mud is just a bigger grander version!

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom