New FJ Owner Rear Axle Seal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just acquired an 07 FJ 6MT with 91,000 miles. Nice condition, well cared for with all services complete but just developed a rear axle seal leak on the driver's side Seems relatively minor at the moment, no fluid on the ground but some buildup on the inside of the rear wheel. Should I be concerned about the 100 mile highway ride to get it home? Planning to get the seal done straight away but need to get the truck home and registered.

As long as you have gear oil topped off in the diff, you'll be fine. Check the breather valve is clear to make sure it's not pressurized inside the housing and forcing oil out the seal.

good point thanks, the seller did just that today and reported back that the breather released a good bit of pressure upon release

Then it may stop leaking altogether. Downside is the rear parking brake shoes are probably shot and saturated with oil. Not the end of the world.

@BMThiker @iwashmycar..........thanks for the input, very helpful as I am a bit outside of my wheelhouse with the FJ.

Long history of Toyota ownership most notably 76 FJ40, 96 LC 80 series, 97 40th anniversary, 02 LC 100 series, 90 - 96 - 06 - 16 4Runners and a few Tundras. I leave the wrenching to the pros for the most part but I hope to get dirty with this one.

48407.jpeg

Honestly, I'd let someone else do the parking brake job. It's a major pain in the azz to disassemble and reassemble.
View attachment 2392198

I agree it is a pain, but it is easier once you realize you need to fully assemble the pad retainer springs and slide the pads over them. First side took me about 30 minutes, second side took me about 10.

It is more likely to be a rear wheel bearing going out. . Not a simple fix on these .

It is more likely to be a rear wheel bearing going out. . Not a simple fix on these .

I think the chain of events goes like this (and this is typical for Toyota trucks, it seems);

1) diff breather isn't long enough and gets clogged and stops being a vent
2) pressure builds up and blows out an axle seal, leaking gear lube all over the bearing (and brakes)
3) the leaking gear lube washes of the grease in the wheel bearing. Since the bearing isn't sealed from the axle housing side (the axle seal and the o-ring are supposed to do that)
4) since the bearing is supposed to run on grease, and not oil, the bearing goes bad over time

So you need to go in and replace the seal, the bearing, and all the brake pads (parking and disc).

I concur that the rear wheel bearing remove/replacement is not simple. But once #1 above happens, this is the result... (IMHO)

FWIW, the breather on my FJ60 got clogged and blew the seals out. Since the wheel bearings are in the axle and run on gear oil, they weren't trashed. But the seals were letting water in during water crossings...

After upgrading to a 2012 8.2" axle, I ended up with spare axle assemblies. So, I at least have the luxury of rebuilding the rear bearing assembly without my truck being down for a weekend. I did a write up on rebuilding the bearing assemblies here a while ago. . .

Here ya go!

After upgrading to a 2012 8.2" axle, I ended up with spare axle assemblies. So, I at least have the luxury of rebuilding the rear bearing assembly without my truck being down for a weekend. I did a write up on rebuilding the bearing assemblies here a while ago. . .

Here ya go!
I also went this route and have complete spare axles. Simple to change out. And all fresh and new

I also went this route and have complete spare axles. Simple to change out. And all fresh and new

That's similar to what I did. Main difference is pressed it back on upside down so only needed a small pipe from my ball joint press kit, not a shaft long pipe. I searched and searched for a post like that and never found yours. This is how terrible the IH8MUD search engine is...

Edit: Sorry, thought this was relevant.

Last edited:
Those videos are good but I did not find one for the FJ Cruiser. His seemed to be older 4 runners, with and without the ABS tone ring

Those videos are good but I did not find one for the FJ Cruiser. His seemed to be older 4 runners, with and without the ABS tone ring
Same process. Same axle. For the FJC and Gen4 4Runner you just need the one adapter that he talks about.

Maybe it’s the same axle, but the bearing is different. The video you posted had the tone ring (FJ's don't have that), didn't use the integrated hub that you need to for FJ Cruisers, he pressed in a new bearing into the hub (doesn't work that way on a FJ), lots of differences. I knew I didn't have that, so I wasn't comfortable using that as a guide. YMMV. His tool is also different since the bearing is different. It might work the same...

So I wasn't knocking the guy, I just don't think his videos can be used as a guide for a DIY'er doing this for the first time on a FJ Cruiser. My two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom