New Exhaust recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm with @LAMBCRUSHER 3 pages? I know I've paid a premium for many of the repairs done to my rig over the years. Then there are times when I get a great deal. Part of not being a skilled mechanic but I'm okay with that because I enjoy my rig. The other issue is that not all shops have the experience working on FJ60s and arent aware of the nuances. As far as the repairs...sometimes it's a process of elimitation so guarantees are only attainable if you replace everything... and I bet that would be more than one might want to pay. Either way, get your rig fixed and move on. You'll enjoy driving it rather than writing about it. One last note: after this major repair start saving $$$$ for the next issue. I guarantee it'll come sooner than expected. Good luck.

Well said! Lance could have been having a bad day but I am telling you..I really didn't ask that many questions. I just wanted clarity and was asking in a completely civilized manner. I do admit that I went back and forth a couple times on their suggestions. Reason for that is the high cost of the work, along with no guarantee the truck would be alright after the work was completed. Also, the shop was not clear with me. One mechanic, Jack, said he would recommend just fixing the leaks in the gasket and going from there. Lance recommended I do everything (exhaust, gasket leaks, header, and dizzy). I admit I was undecided on the line with him and Lance was patient in talking with me through my options. However, when I started diving into his quote, he got super weird.

Just one last point. As I mentioned earlier, he emailed me out of the blue and said he didn't have the time to work on my truck because he forgot about the other 20 trucks already slated for work. Yet, on here, he is basically admitting he just didn't want to work with me. He swore up and down on the phone that it had nothing to do with that and that he really just didnt realize how much work he had. Just a really unfortunate situation as he highly recommended I bring my truck to his shop so I had it towed 70 miles down there.

I will end with this. I wouldn't change anything in the way I interacted with Iron Pig. I didn't get angry but I did have questions I needed answered about his quote. I will say this much, if you do go to Iron Pig be prepared to pay a lot of money for work that can be done elsewhere for a much more affordable price. Also, don't ask a lot of questions about your bill....you will most likely have the same experience as me.

Dan, I appreciate that is what you believe transpired, however let me supply some additional facts for those reading this thread. Actual email: "My staff has informed me of projects we've already committed to and that our schedule will not accommodate your scope of work. I regret that I was unaware of that when we spoke earlier today but feel it would be best for you to make arrangements to pick up your vehicle as soon as possible. We can manage it here for the next week but will need it removed by Wednesday, 3/30/16."

I didn't forget about our previously scheduled customers as you suggest. Tim and I discussed our workload with you, after reviewing our projects. I had agreed to 1-2 hours evaluation, for which we only billed 1. The scope of work required turned out to be much larger and that's all I said. You have insulted my staff, then begged us to work on your truck. True, we've declined to do so.

However, even after making that decision we provided you with a link to alternative bumper options: "Below is the link I mentioned to you this morning for a replacement rear bumper for your FJ60. They make a really stout product that I think you’ll be very satisfied with." And furthermore I forwarded a copy of our assessment to the new shop as a courtesy to you.

It's also important to point out that over the course of the 2 days that we had possession of your truck, we had over 5 hours of telephone conversations, and 6 written estimates. In every case our telephone conversations either Jack or I explained the same work and parts, over and over again, even suggesting that you hold off on the bumper until you reach a stable run condition. We even took the time to review the links you sent us for 2 other FJ60 series Land Cruisers that you wanted to purchase over the internet.

As another forum member pointed out, sometimes relationships between business owners and customers don't always work out. This is one of those cases. I wish you the best of luck with your FJ60 - it's a really sound platform to build on and Ryan is well qualified to complete your scope of work, so you're in great hands. As I've stated earlier... I'm available for further discussion at 540-361-7400.

Wow Dan after reading this thread let me get this strait. In brief, you start a thread to bad mouth Iron Pig after they take in your problem truck, diagnose the problems that led to two rebuilds and 4 head gaskets, offer you a solution, discuss/write up multiple changing requests from you (bumper, engine performance options), then you admit to "Pressing" the pricing line by line with the owner Lance, and when the shop declines to work on your truck you freak out?

Honestly Dan, details about your interaction changed throughout this thread and the way your are conducting yourself make me question your overall integrity. Also I'm amazed at how worked up you are over what sounds like is a couple hundred dollars difference between your self determined pricing and that of Iron Pig. Not sure what industry you are in but if your customer started to question your business ethics on a public forum I'm sure you would spend the time to defend your livelihood as well. Lance even provided the information he could to the new shop to best help you Dan.

The facts are, Iron Pig is a reputable shop. I too reside in Northern Virginia and dealt with my fair share of random mechanics who have no clue how to best work on a land cruiser. Lance and Jack at Iron pig are well known in the land cruiser community for their expertise and knowledge about these trucks. They build some amazing rigs and their parking lot is always full with customer rigs ready to be worked on. They go on multiple events every year from New Hampshire, to Tennessee and when someone breaks down on the trail they always get them fixed and back home.

Bottom line is it's unfortunate you had a bad experience with IPOR, try and learn from this because not every shop will handle dismissing you in such a professional manner. For everyone else out there, don't let this one guy shape your prospective of Iron Pig. Take lance up on his offer and call him. They are good guys who do great work. The only shop I trust working on my truck is Iron Pig solely for the quality of work and their dedication to the land cruiser community. I highly recommend them. Sorry for the long post I just could not let this guy bash a good shop.

DC

While carb work and troubleshooting can be beyond the scope of amateur wrenches. I seriously think a 60 series is not a vehicle that you take to a garage. It might be okay to get them to troubleshoot and provide a list that you can then follow. Pay for an hour or two of diagnostic work.

Every 60 series owner should strive to learn to be a mechanic on their own rigs.

(bad experience with shop X) The problem with some of these type postings is understanding who has an agenda to push and what are the relevant facts. Not every shop executes perfectly in every case and not every customer is the golden angel. Stuff should be resolved off-line.... the problem here is that if someone does have an agenda and drags the other party through the mud....who knows the actual facts?

Bottom line .....should not be in this thread... Anyone can can throw mud on the internet.

Effective communication takes two sides....certainly some folks need to learn what that means in the car repair biz and the same goes for the customer. Hello using the phone and or dropping by the shop. Everyone does not have the skills to be their own mechanic or choose not to be their own repair guy.

upload_2016-3-31_9-36-38.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom