New Castrol 20w50 High Zinc oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The linked blog was a great read even though I haven’t consumed the whole thing. I found it interesting that the highest performing oils were 5W30, I’ve been dumping 14W40 Diesel oil in mine for at least a decade. It’s been a price point decision where I’ve usually selected Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella, lately I’ve gone with Costco’s Kirkland 15W40. I may rethink that strategy going forward, although my original drivetrain is still kicking so my oil selection hasn’t killed it yet.

I found the section on filters just as interesting. The Toyota YZZD filter that I use in my 80 was nearly a crap rating based on its construction. Overall the Motorcraft filters got a great rating… may be time for the FL-1A for the 40 and 80. I can’t make myself use the WIX filters and his blog seems to touch on the issue, it has to do with the construction of the pressure relief valve not being consistent from filter to filter. There are a few threads in the 80 Section where guys have lost motors because of the WIX filter and it’s pressure relief valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom