New BJ40 Owner With A Few Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I want to thank everyone here for all of there input. I have been a lurker for a long time, but I finally scored a great 83 FJ40 with almost zero rust. Just a few service areas in the bed. Pictures will follow my questions that I am looking for help.

1. I am switching back to original rims and I have already prepped and painted them. Many suggest that I go with the BFG AT 31.10.5/15s, but I am having a tough time finding them. The BFG Mudders are and easy find. I want to go closer to the original look and have read all the threads on tire selection. Should I go with the Mudders or order the ATs. If not those, best option?

2. I have a tire swing and really don't care about having a spare on it. Is there an adapter for the swing that could allow me to just have a jerry can or two? If not, will I be left with holes where the tire swing was if I put a can rack on, or are there some that will fit into the existing holes?

3. I have a full soft top with doors and an extra set of half doors. The problem is that the door frame latch is set up for the original doors that I have on. Do I have to switch out the latch every time I want to switch doors. Also, I have not been able to find whatever the proper latch is for the 1/2 doors and soft top doors.

4. Does anyone make sun visor delete blanks? I don't currently have sun visors and have filled them with black interior tabs. The same question for the holes for the soft top. I can find cap inserts that will make due, but I wasn't sure if ones were out there made specifically for that.

I know that is a lot of questions for my first post and I am sure that I will have more down the road. All input is greatly appreciated.
IMG_2771.JPG
IMG_E2770.JPG
IMG_E2775.JPG
IMG_2776.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG

What does the VIN plate show for a date of manufacture? The dash looks like it’s pre-83.

Congratulations & welcome to the addiction... that’s a nice looking truck. Doesn’t appear to be a domestic market truck. It looks like it has seats from a 1979 to 80-ish BJ. Post some pictures of the half-doors. I’m sure someone can help you to identify them and what steps to take when swapping them in.

Last edited:
Many suggest that I go with the BFG AT 31.10.5/15s, but I am having a tough time finding them. The BFG Mudders are and easy find. I want to go closer to the original look and have read all the threads on tire selection. Should I go with the Mudders or order the ATs

Tire selection is either by looks or intended use. If you plan to wheel the truck, then get a lift and run 33" mud terrain tires. Going to just drive around town and maybe hit an occasional dirt road, AT's are fine.

AT's are better on road, basically, quieter. MT 's look better but are noisier.

In the end, it is personal preference.

Tire selection is either by looks or intended use. If you plan to wheel the truck, then get a lift and run 33" mud terrain tires. Going to just drive around town and maybe hit an occasional dirt road, AT's are fine.

AT's are better on road, basically, quieter. MT 's look better but are noisier.

In the end, it is personal preference.
Thanks! I got the A/Ts and I am happy with them.

Yep. That's everything, and it's located on the front passenger frame.
Thats the Chassis Number not the build plate, still surprised it didn't have a number like BJ41 - 0031926 etc you dont see to many BJ40's so guessing it came up from down south

Thats the Chassis Number not the build plate, still surprised it didn't have a number like BJ41 - 0031926 etc you dont see to many BJ40's so guessing it came up from down south
It is my understanding that it did come from South America. I can't believe the condition it is in for coming from down there. There is zero rust anywhere and the fender flares look to be 100 percent factory. The body behind the flares has not been touched and the paint looks to be original.

Is that all it has ?
[/Q
You sir are correct! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I went back after your post and scrubbed the frame down and low and behold here is what I found!
BJ40-031926

IMG_E2809.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom