new and in need of help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a proud new owner of a 1970 fj40. (wont say what I paid for it cause you'll be too upset to help me if I did :grinpimp:) But I have a couple questions. #1 It has what appears to be an sm465 backing a blown sbc283. I have a spare 76 rv lying around with a good 350 and am in the middle of the engine swap but the rv had a turbo 400. other than the pilot bearing is there anything else I need to swap to make this conversion work? question #2 is tougher. the tranny appears to be an sm465 according to the markings (GM 6273212 on the side of the case)and the over all length (12 inches). However, the shift pattern is all wrong. it appears to have either reverse or first all the way to the left and down. the previous owner said that's where reverse is, but by disengaging the drive shaft, it appears to be first gear. either way, the shift pattern is wrong. several local tranny guys have said you can't change the shift pattern on this tranny. however, a week worth of searching online suggest that the only shift pattern for the sm465 is the standard H. due to this discrepancy I am unable to use the half R/ half N method or removing the top cover. The clutch fork is rusted from what little bit I can see although the gears appear fine and it will shift into gear with a lil nudge. I am wanting to get it apart to look closely at the shift fork. anybody have any thoughts on this anomaly? can I just fill the case with diesel and then flush it? any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

I had a 68 chev with the 4 speed. Reverse was left and down. Regular H pattern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom