New AC Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it true that Toyota only has remanufactured ac compressors? If not could someone give me approximate prices on reman units vs brand new compressors.

Redirecting my prior question....... Has anyone out there replaced their ac compressor with a remanufactured unit, only to have it start leaking less than a year later? Is this common? Are reman units junk? Will my next unit last pass the 12 month warranty before dying?

Redirecting my prior question....... Has anyone out there replaced their ac compressor with a remanufactured unit, only to have it start leaking less than a year later? Is this common? Are reman units junk? Will my next unit last pass the 12 month warranty before dying?

Curious where you got your reman'ed unit from?

I put one on about 8 or 9 month's ago, and think I might have a leak. I see some wet-ish looking residue around the top side of the compressor. Still blows cold right now.

How'd you know it was leaking... insufficiently cold? And also, can you tell where it's leaking from?

Last edited:
The symptoms: The AC was piddling out cool air, the sight glass had bubbles in it, and the shop used a sniffer to find the leak at the front of the compressor.

I got the part from the local dealership.

I had this issue last year... AC was out all together. Got a replacement unit on-line... It is not an uncommon compressor. My leak was at the top plate off the compressor. I knew that going into it but figured I would replace the unit while I was at it. What a mistake. I did all that only to find out the replacement unit was bad as well. I also converted to R134A and replaced the expansion valve and dryer... When it didn't work (now high side) after I put it all back together I put back in the old compressor and fixed the top leak ($5 new gasket)... worked like a champ since. The company I got the comp. from was happy to replace the bad unit they sold me and still have it in case I ever need it. My 2 cents are to fix the leak and leave the rest alone!

Kevin

I had this issue last year... AC was out all together. Got a replacement unit on-line... It is not an uncommon compressor. My leak was at the top plate off the compressor. I knew that going into it but figured I would replace the unit while I was at it. What a mistake. I did all that only to find out the replacement unit was bad as well. I also converted to R134A and replaced the expansion valve and dryer... When it didn't work (now high side) after I put it all back together I put back in the old compressor and fixed the top leak ($5 new gasket)... worked like a champ since. The company I got the comp. from was happy to replace the bad unit they sold me and still have it in case I ever need it. My 2 cents are to fix the leak and leave the rest alone!

Kevin

Was replacing that top gasket pretty straight forward?

15 min job. You might as well do the dryer while your at it..in case moisture got in.. another 15 min... then pump either r12 or r134a back in. your done...

KK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom