New 21' cruise control function shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a fix for this I just go 80 all time then it stays in 8th except climbing a hill and then it might shift down. Agree with person above if you are in very hilly environment and need to do 60 your only option is to set a gear manually (I do this all time towing) or drive without cruise.

As far as the cruise control slowing down, in my experience it has a priority to try to use engine braking. It feels like it has a distance wherein if you set the cruise to a number where it will not reach that speed within X distance, it will apply the brakes. Otherwise, it tries to engine brake. But the engine braking is why you see it shifting down so much when going downhill.

I use Radar cruise a lot for highway miles. I have noticed following behavior. To slow you down on approaching a vehicle at slower speed cuts gas. If greater deceleration is needed it will apply brakes. If needing to slow down going down hill cut gas, down shift. Breaks only seem to be used when needing to slow down quickly such as traffic coming to stop. Even when car cuts me off but is accelerating away I only notice gas being cut for moment. Also the system seems to understand closing distance and speed differences as it will start slowing down sooner for slower traffic as opposed to faster traffic. Note I also use the radar cruise when towing my boat and 6th selected as top gear. I am surprised at how well it works. Only thing I don't like is when car is turning to right exit ramp and starts slowing and cruise does not really understand that car is exiting lane and slams on brakes.

I use Radar cruise a lot for highway miles. I have noticed following behavior. To slow you down on approaching a vehicle at slower speed cuts gas. If greater deceleration is needed it will apply brakes. If needing to slow down going down hill cut gas, down shift. Breaks only seem to be used when needing to slow down quickly such as traffic coming to stop. Even when car cuts me off but is accelerating away I only notice gas being cut for moment. Also the system seems to understand closing distance and speed differences as it will start slowing down sooner for slower traffic as opposed to faster traffic. Note I also use the radar cruise when towing my boat and 6th selected as top gear. I am surprised at how well it works. Only thing I don't like is when car is turning to right exit ramp and starts slowing and cruise does not really understand that car is exiting lane and slams on brakes.

I don't use adaptive cruise one exits; it feels much safer to use elsewhere even on one lane county highways.

I have found that the adaptive cruise works better if my ‘14 LX has the ECT power button on. Less searching for gears but does the 21 still have the power button?
Maybe it was the same software guy who wrote the code for the rain sensing wipers? Automatic things seem to be getting worse in this world we live in.
Is the wiper code different on the LC? My wipers are really good but living in the Lower Rainland they do get a good workout. I’m always let down a little when I get in the LC and have to go back to manual wipers and dimmers.

I found that the Toyota/Lexus Adaptive cruise sucks compared to the RAM and Ford products I've had it in.

I have found that the adaptive cruise works better if my ‘14 LX has the ECT power button on. Less searching for gears but does the 21 still have the power button?
There is a ECT 2nd button, see pic below. Is that what you mean?

C10AC2C3-F628-4663-A616-968572F5C550.jpeg

Wondering if my 2021 adaptive cruise needs recalibration. When driving on a multilane highway, cruise set at 75, as I approach a car in an adjacent lane going (for example) 70mph, my truck seems to erroneously sense the adjacent car, and slow me down, but then seems to realize that the slower car is in an adjacent lane, and then speeds back up to 75mph. Anybody else experience this issue? Is the adaptive cruiser control just glitchy for others, or am I alone and mine needs some TLC? 100% stock truck, 13k miles.

Wondering if my 2021 adaptive cruise needs recalibration. When driving on a multilane highway, cruise set at 75, as I approach a car in an adjacent lane going (for example) 70mph, my truck seems to erroneously sense the adjacent car, and slow me down, but then seems to realize that the slower car is in an adjacent lane, and then speeds back up to 75mph. Anybody else experience this issue? Is the adaptive cruiser control just glitchy for others, or am I alone and mine needs some TLC? 100% stock truck, 13k miles.
Sounds like it needs to be evaluated for the aim of the system. The radar module has adjustment points and there is a protocol they follow to re align. That’s what I would recommend.

When using cruise in the mountains I use S6 for less hunting. As to side interference, I have noticed that cars passing can occasionally cause me to slow. I figured it was just me, but will pay more attention to it now.

Does it only do that with cars on one side or the other? Or is the behavior the same both ways?

You did say stock, but ever do any front end work? Has the grille ever been off for maintenance/repair by the dealer or body shop?

Does it only do that with cars on one side or the other? Or is the behavior the same both ways?

You did say stock, but ever do any front end work? Has the grille ever been off for maintenance/repair by the dealer or body shop?
Yes, the grill has been off and they [supposedly] recalibrated the system for a pre-collision radar fault, and you would assume the dealer would recalibrate EVERTHING relating to radar, but I suspect they didn't do that and the radar cruise is in need of calibration as well. It's a pretty new truck and don't remember the radar cruise getting tripped up by slower cars in adjacent lanes prior to grill remove/reinstall.

Yes, the grill has been off and they [supposedly] recalibrated the system for a pre-collision radar fault, and you would assume the dealer would recalibrate EVERTHING relating to radar, but I suspect they didn't do that and the radar cruise is in need of calibration as well. It's a pretty new truck and don't remember the radar cruise getting tripped up by slower cars in adjacent lanes prior to grill remove/reinstall.

There you go. Maybe have a passenger video the behavior so they can't try to squirm out of warranty work. Seems like something that could be hard to replicate for most dealers in metro areas.

Still curious whether it's only one side or the other..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom