New 100 Series Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my first 100 series yesterday. It's a 2000 LC in Mahogany Pearl on Oak. Bought it from the original owner with 210k miles. The car recently had the timing belt, battery, A/C, radiator and valve cover gaskets replaced so I'm hoping it's solid mechanically for awhile.

Thanks to the board, I already ordered 285/85/16s that should be put on Wednesday and ordered a double-din Boss carplay head unit.

Other than that, taking suggestions on what to do about the peeling paint. I am oscillating between do nothing, see if a body shop can sand and reapply clear coat and a wrap. Any other ideas? Not looking to spend more than 1-2K. Pics below.

Pics

IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0120.jpeg

I got an estimate for $1,400 this morning to:

- Repaint hood and blend into fenders
- Repaint roof

Does that seem fair? I've seen estimates all over the place on here so it seems at worst just an okay price.

Consider removing the flares too. Underneath might require paintwork though. Won’t know until removed. They were port/dealer installed.

- Repaint roof

Does that seem fair? I've seen estimates all over the place on here so it seems at worst just an okay price.
That's a fair price if their workmanship and materials are good.

Consider removing the flares too. Underneath might require paintwork though. Won’t know until removed. They were port/dealer installed.
Seems like since it was a southeast car, the fenders should be glued on? Just googled pics w/out the flares and it looks good for sure. Thanks for the rec!

Yes, attached via adhesive but sometimes dirt/grit can abraid the paint underneath and/or the paint can be faded around the flare.

- Repaint roof

Just depends on where you are at really. Seems like a good price to me as we just paid about that much to have a bumper cover re sprayed, im in Seattle though so everything is expensve

- Repaint roof

I think that's a bit low. That's essentially 4 panels of work.

That being said, if the goal is to wrap, you can DIY sand and cheaply clear coat in your driveway with cans. Good paint work is difficult. Smooth paintwork for a wrap can be real cheap/easy.

I'm impressed you've had an account for 15 years and only had 5 messages
Ha - I've always found good info here and have been a long time lurker. I actually had a lifted 4Runner TraiL Edition for a few years and wanted a Land Cruiser for awhile.

You can try car-part.com to find a used hood in the same paint code. Would be muuuch cheaper and should have factory paint. Worth a shot.

Then get the roof resprayed. No blending necessary then

You can try car-part.com to find a used hood in the same paint code. Would be muuuch cheaper and should have factory paint. Worth a shot.

Then get the roof resprayed. No blending necessary then
I worry that there will still be differences between a separate hood and I'd like to keep all original parts with VINs in tact. I did peruse the hoods on the site though and they're all around $750 which seems about in line with how much I'd have to pay to get it resprayed. Appreciate the tip though!

I also want to eventually refresh the interior. I tried leather cleaner and conditioner but I think eventually I'll need a new interior.

1400 seems cheap enough to roll the dice. Should be able to find some reviews online to verify they'll do a decent job. My worry is that at that price they won't be pulling any trim and you will have some possible overspray, defects along the edges. You could do some pre-work to avoid that by removing trim/roof rack, etc. I like the look of the plastic trim it's not as common. I would be curious how much more for them to pull that off touch up and re-clear. Or, again, if you pull it off yourself maybe that would save some $ to have them re-clear it. It's all just clips and adhesive.

1400 seems cheap enough to roll the dice. Should be able to find some reviews online to verify they'll do a decent job. My worry is that at that price they won't be pulling any trim and you will have some possible overspray, defects along the edges. You could do some pre-work to avoid that by removing trim/roof rack, etc. I like the look of the plastic trim it's not as common. I would be curious how much more for them to pull that off touch up and re-clear. Or, again, if you pull it off yourself maybe that would save some $ to have them re-clear it. It's all just clips and adhesive.
They have quoted out removal of roof rack and all of that. I am also going to ask if they can pull off the fender flares since they'll be blending the front fenders already and they can address any residue.

I worry that there will still be differences between a separate hood and I'd like to keep all original parts with VINs in tact. I did peruse the hoods on the site though and they're all around $750 which seems about in line with how much I'd have to pay to get it resprayed.

$750, wow. Been a while since I've been on there haha. I think I paid $200 for my 3rd gen hood but that was 5+ years ago.

Good point on keeping the vin matching.

I got the new shoes on and alignment done, installed a new head unit and got the driver's side running board off. I ran out of time before I could get to the passenger - was having difficulty dealing with the A/C line blocking the lower bolt on the front right bracket. The PO recently had the A/C line redone so hopefully it's feasible to move out of the way by loosening a bolt as described in other posts.

The respray will likely happen in November as the shop is booked out and I have some travel. Can't wait for it to look like new!

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0151.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom