Needed: Front frame crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Done, frame is heading to powder coater this weekend. Ultimately the M12 taps on the bottom (tow hook mounts) proved to be the best way to locate the new crossmember in the frame. One tap is in the frame and the other in the crossmember, 35mm on center.

Thanks to all for confirmation, ideas, corrections......hell everything. I test fitted bumper assembly while body was on and it looked good, skid plate also bolted up fine. I"ve attached final drawing and a 3D model if anyone cares (it can be viewed for free here). One thing to note, the drawing/model will show mill passes to narrow the 2.5" square tubing on top/bottom to fit in the frame rails. I could have probably beat these in, but decided to hit them with a die grinder to fit smoothly. I tried to document that in the drawing with the .020 mill passes.
S.

crossmember1.jpg
crossmember2.jpg
onframe.jpg

Attachments

• Front Frame Cross Bar Drawing v37.pdf
    347.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Front Frame Cross Bar v40.stl
    401.6 KB · Views: 20
That is awesome work man.

Thank you for putting the CAD files out for anyone to view. It’s been extremely helpful for fixing the front crossmember of my truck.

Glad it was helpful. If anyone finds discrepancies let me know and we’ll sort them out.

Last edited:
My crossmember was also failing, so I simply cut it out and welded in a replacement, based off an HD gusseted front frame brace bracket from Trailgear. The finished product is a C-channel of 1/4" steel, open in the rear.

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

C channel makes it much easier to add threads, good call. Looks stellar! I used the Front Range stiffener as a guide, but it did have the bumper bracket holes offset 3mm instead of 5mm. I don't know if that is a year-to-year difference or not, but holes are oversized so it has likely never been an issue.

C channel makes it much easier to add threads, good call. Looks stellar! I used the Front Range stiffener as a guide, but it did have the bumper bracket holes offset 3mm instead of 5mm. I don't know if that is a year-to-year difference or not, but holes are oversized so it has likely never been an issue.
FWIW, the holes on the Trailgear bracket landed in the correct locations for remount of the original front bumper without modification. I welded in threads on the lower bumper bracket holes to make installation easier, and the top holes have standard nuts threaded by hand. FYI there IS a year to year difference in front crossmember hole locations on these frames - the 1984-85 frames (and maybe even 1986) have a slightly different geometry and spacing for the bumper bracket holes I believe.

Reactions: bkg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom