Need to paint my new switches from "Switch Doctor" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My original 1986 fj62 power door switches are practically disintegrating. I purchased new switches from Switch Dx, they only have them in Brown color, my interior and my original switches are Gray. Need suggestions of how to prep and paint these switches. Thank you in advance

received_10215202545993342.jpeg

810.jpg

1022.jpg

Look up SEM products follow the directions carefully and you will get good results. Keeping the white lettering will be tricky.

I bought the same master switch, too good a price not to. I dont think I'll care to paint, but if you need (and look at the backside of the new unit) it shouldn't be too hard to swap the switches into the old housing.

I wouldnt suggest taking it apart. I thought about this until I took my old one apart. Lots of pieces start falling out! Tape everything and spray paint it. Then wipe off the letters carefully right after painting. The chrome letters were not damaged.

Looks great! how did you prep it, and what you use to prep it? how is it holdig so far?. Thanks for the picture

Take them apart and swap bezels. Really not very difficult. The new switch will not have the same small pieces problems.. I dont think.
The old one is junk, so dont worry about little pieces going everywhere. But keep the switch plate switches up when taking apart and the pieces will not go everywhere.

My master bezel still looks good and may switch the controls from the new one to it. For the remaining, two are missing an the other broken into pieces. Can wait to have it in the USA. It is not easy working with parts when the car is not nearby.

I will also add that you may need to swap some wires around in the plug. I had to swap a couple. Just use the old plug for a reference. I think the color were the same on both, but a couple of the wires were swapped on the new plug.

I've got a can of of SEM Color Coat in Graphite 15303 that I hope matches color. Just mask the parts you don't want to paint and either use a fine white pen for lettering or a very small rag to wipe thepaint from the letters when freshly painted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom