Need to lift engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there! I bought a 97 40th anniversary edition cruiser back in July last year. Been slowly doing some PM looking to replace the upper arch seal, it seems to be leaking pretty good. I have read a lot of threads on doing this and it seems you have to lift the engine in order to fully remove the 2nd upper oil pan. I was reading in the 80 series maintenance manual on removing the 2nd oil pan. No where in the manual does it say you need to lift the engine. Is it necessary to lift up the engine or can you remove the 2nd oil pan without the hassle of lifting the engine? Thanks!

928365D7-D52C-4D60-9C4B-DCDDE99C42FE.jpeg

8041591E-663A-4C2E-9377-80C5F4846D9C.jpeg

Subscribed, as this is on my to-do list. Everything I've ready says you need to lift engine, but I haven't done it, so I'd like to hear the other answers.

ALWAYS follow the advice of trusted MUD members over what the FSM says (or doesn't say).

The FSM is NOT the authority on 'procedures,tips,tricks'. It IS a good source for general repair, torque specs, etc...

From what I have gathered is that without lifting, You cannot drop the upper oil pan enough to clear the front frame cross brace. That said, I have read one or two posts of people pushing the engine up from the bottom by using a floor jack and using the harmonic balancer / crankshaft pulley as the jack stand point.

That's how I swapped the motor mounts on my YJ's and TJ.

From what I have gathered is that without lifting, You cannot drop the upper oil pan enough to clear the front frame cross brace. That said, I have read one or two posts of people pushing the engine up from the bottom by using a floor jack and using the harmonic balancer / crankshaft pulley as the jack stand point.

That's how I swapped the motor mounts on my YJ's and TJ.
Thanks Tacocat that’s a good solution for those without an engine hoist

Thanks Tacocat that’s a good solution for those without an engine hoist
No sweat. Found the thread with the pic. Normally not a good idea to use a jack to hold up an item, but if the jack failed, the engine won't crush you, just your stuff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom