Need thoughts on AA Rockbox or Marlin Toybox (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my goal is to get lower gearing in my 40. From what I've read, ~100:1, is near ideal for most wheeling. I'm still running a 2f, 4spd case and 4.11 axles.
The AA rock box, with my stock drivetrain, seems like the least expensive option and would get me to 98:1.
The Marlin toy box, 4.7:1, would get me 134:1, but would end up costing me several hundred more.
I haven't heard of problems with either of them yet.
What would you do?

Also look into the AA Orion Case, should debut in February 04'

Read more here...
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/advadapt.html

I have sold several of the Rocbox's never a complaint out of the owners, high quality, well built, easy install.

One of my employees runs ones of the first split-case Toyboxes in his FJ60, he loves it... it has survived him (5 shafts, 3 longs, a H42 and several driveshafts since install)... :D

I am installing an AA Rockbox in Petes (78 One owner) rig right now. Recieved the rockbox very promptly after ordering and it really does look like a sweet piece of work. We will post our findings after install and test run.

I also run the Rockbox in my cruiser and I love the gearing choices I have with it.

How about an SM-420? In terms of value the SM-420 conversion is great. The 7:1 first gear will give you a crawl ratio in the low 70's which is plenty for most normal wheeling. For the FJ40, this is low enough. All the other options take up rear drive shaft length which is short already. If you shop around you can find an SM420 for $100-$200. You also need a 3 speed transfer case, the 70-73 versions are supposed to be stronger. Spaceghost makes a nice adapter as does Warden's. You will love the lower gearing. I have done Rubicon with stock gears and with the SM420-it makes a world of difference.

I have also seen the Marlin toybox in action in Pismo Jim's FJ60. That is a great unit. The gearing is so low that yo need to be careful or you'll break stuff. The install is very clean too. Check out www.realcruiser.com Jim has good pics of the Toybox intstalled.

I'm planning on the Marlin ToyBox someday....have the minitruck case on the garage floor, next to a split case. Just gotta finish up another dozen projects and take the plunge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom