Need some input on project direction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new guy to the modified LC scene, but I know how to turn a wrench far enough to do some damage.

Just picked up a really rusty running and driving BJ60 (frame and body compromised, not safe). I also have an FJ60 with a very tired 2F that I have driven for fun for the last few years and has a very straight, largely rust free body. Originally I was going to swap the diesel powertrain into the FJ, but am now questioning that decision since a buddy of mine had his Bronco impounded because the plates he had registered didn't match VIN, all because he did a body swap and then got stopped by WSP for some illegal tires (didn't help that he was a jerk to the cop).

So here's the question, do I:

1. Do the swap as planned and stick a turbo'd 3B/H55f into my FJ60

OR

2. Find another 60 frame and body to keep the diesel with the proper VIN?

PS
I'm not really into swapping VIN plates just in case WSP actually checks and decides that my vehicle needs to be impounded/crushed because the numbers don't match.

Attached is a picture of Lola (FJ60) when I bought her, looks a little different now, but I don't have photos on this computer.
lola.jpg

I'm a vote for the original plan "A". It's straight forward, no shucking or jiving the man. You even have the opportunity to discuss your plan with the DMV before you start, to be informed of the process.

Is it not cleaner to change the motor characteristics in the registry than to fudge the ID numbers?

Rick

If you change the motor in a vehicle that does not affect the VIn number of the body and frame. I've swapped motors in and out of vehicles countless times and it didn't make a difference to insurance. As long as the body and frame were matching and registered. Now if you swap the body or frame then they pissy mostly for theft reasons.

I think the only thing they are a little sticky about is if you swap an older engine into the vehicle than the year it was built. However if the same engine is offered in that year without changes you should be fine.

If you change the motor in a vehicle that does not affect the VIn number of the body and frame. I've swapped motors in and out of vehicles countless times and it didn't make a difference to insurance. As long as the body and frame were matching and registered. Now if you swap the body or frame then they pissy mostly for theft reasons.

The theft aspect makes sense, and I guess that would be another reason to do plan A.

I'm a vote for the original plan "A". It's straight forward, no shucking or jiving the man. You even have the opportunity to discuss your plan with the DMV before you start, to be informed of the process.

Is it not cleaner to change the motor characteristics in the registry than to fudge the ID numbers?

Don't know the answer to your question, but I will definitely go and talk to the lovely people at the ever so helpful DMV (DOL here in Washington). I know that it is a huge pain in the butt to get anything done in terms of shuffling VINs around, changing motors/fuel types is probably a lot easier.

I think the only thing they are a little sticky about is if you swap an older engine into the vehicle than the year it was built. However if the same engine is offered in that year without changes you should be fine.

Years are only off by 1, 83 vs. 84. Only catch is that they didn't offer the 3b in the states. That's kinda what has me worried.

Thanks for the info, I will start with the DOL and post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom