need some info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok all i just bought my wife a 79 Toy pickup single cab and wanna do the ifs steering box and the steering arms what steering arms will fit this truck ? from what year rigs ? Thanks for the help in advance

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

none, that I'm aware of...

I'm under the impression you have to do the Hi Steer 1st, and that a minimum of 3" lift is needed...

I could be wrong though.

Ok all i just bought my wife a 79 Toy pickup single cab and wanna do the ifs steering box and the steering arms what steering arms will fit this truck ? from what year rigs ? Thanks for the help in advance

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

There would be only two anyway...

Toyota's 1st 4WD was in 79 and the IFS took over in 86.

And with the Tacoma, Toyota and it's infinite wisdom :rolleyes: went to rack and peanut butter pinion with it...

What HiLux said. If you install an IFS box it is with the intent of doing cross-over steering. That requires at least a 3" lift. It will also require you install a power steering pump on the engine if it doesn't have one already (I don't think you will).

Well yes it does have a chevy power steering pump on it but not sure what steering box is there it looks stock but i doubt that i do know its not an ifs box and thats what i want to put in it this truck sits on 35's now and i have do the spring packs anyway because the V6 that was swapped into it is to much for the stock springs so i should have enough lift once the spring packs are done to put in a hy steer if thats what i have to do was thinking i could use a set of FJ40 steering arms then do the steering linkage but i could be wrong guess i should have included all that in the first place Lol sorry about that

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2::doh:

Well yes it does have a chevy power steering pump on it but not sure what steering box is there it looks stock but i doubt that

wow... you said a mouthful :lol:

A:
pushpullsteering.jpg

Or B:
ifssteering.jpg

FJ40 arms, for the most part, will not work. Up until 1978 they were the small bolt pattern. I think the large bolt pattern, which is the same used on mini-trucks and FJ60s, came in 1979 with the introduction of the 4WD mini-truck. Steering arms were not the same between the mini-trucks and the FJ60. The FJ60 used a cross-over type steering while the mini-trucks used a push-pull steering similar to, but way different, than the FJ40.

Go cross-over using the IFS gear box and one of the kits out there (Marlin, Trail-Gear, Sky, blah, blah, blah).

Also, I hate to nitt-pick, but please find where the period key is on your keyboard.

Its ( A ) picture Pappy. Ok now i have a set of 70 FJ40 steering arms hanging out but if they wont work then ill prolly go Marlin. and Ty for the info new to playing with the Mini's so im always learning hehe

Dan :steer::bounce::bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom