Need some help and or advice on purchase... 99 Land Cruiser 261k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is in rough shape inside and out.... 261k miles, Florida truck originally from Texas. Interior driver seat is torn pretty bad, steering wheels is worn bad, and carpet is pretty dirty. Seems everything is in working order though, AC blows cold, it seemed to drive great....

Owner did timing belt, water pump, something with the rear diff, as well as struts at 257k in December...

Also brand new michelins and battery.... Need an idea of what to pay for this truck... I want a beater, and was originally looking at 4runners and this popped up!!!

Should I be afraid of the 261k???? How long can I expect this truck to last, and will it be costly at this point???

Thanks for the advice, not sure if this is the appropriate place to post...
20170507_152339.jpg

20170507_152357.jpg

20170507_152408.jpg

20170507_152415.jpg

20170507_152425.jpg

TX and FL lived truck is in good shape for an 18-year-old. Seats are normal for that age. If owner did the T-belt I am sure he took good care of the truck. Is he firm at 4000?

Does it come with the 3rd row seats?

For a toyota I'll worry if the mileage is 600K. The 261 is nothing for a toyota engine, especially a V8. My car Corolla owned by 7 owners before me. I removed the head to get the headgasket done at 240K miles. There was no piston slap at all and even the cylinder bore-honing was still clearly visible.

Water pump was replaced as well. They are asking 5500, I was thinking more like 3000-3500???

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Also no third row, as well as no headrests in the 2nd row. It was work truck so some paint in the rear cargo area carpet. Also some of the wood and interior trim pieces are in rough shape from the sun?

$5500 isn't out of line I don't think. You are getting approximately $1500 in recent services. I've got 268k on mine and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Front seat is pretty normal for that age. Southern truck, so underside should be clean. Have you asked about headrest or third row seats? The "wood trim" on these trucks were port installed add ons that most Mud members find annoying and they remove it. It's simple peel & stick crap. On a hot Florida afternoon, you can pull it off with a little effort.

Last edited:
Any idea on approximate cost to fix drivers seat, steering wheel, and the rear spoiler that is ripped off??? If someone else does the work?

$5500 isn't out of line I don't think. You are getting approximately $1500 in recent services. I've got 268k on mine and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Front seat is pretty normal for that age. Southern truck, so underside should be clean. Have you asked about headrest or third row seats? The "wood trim" on these trucks were port installed add ons that most Mud members find annoying and they remove it. It's simple peel & stick crap. On a hot Florida afternoon, you can pull it off with a little effort.

No headrest or third row. Also the rear spoiler or wind deflector is ripped off.

Steering wheel recover will run about $325. Several options for seat recover. Lseats.com, leatherseats.com, landcruiserheaven.com all have DIY kits if you are handy. Roadwire.com will sell you a installed kit. All three rows are listed on Roadwire's site, you can contact them for a front row only quote.

I would contact some of the vendors or members on Mud who are parting out trucks. Shouldn't be hard to find headrests. Third row seats are also around... with a little patience, you can find the parts you need.

Steering wheel recover will run about $325. Several options for seat recover. Lseats.com, leatherseats.com, landcruiserheaven.com all have DIY kits if you are handy. Roadwire.com will sell you a installed kit. All three rows are listed on Roadwire's site, you can contact them for a front row only quote.

I would contact some of the vendors or members on Mud who are parting out trucks. Shouldn't be hard to find headrests. Third row seats are also around... with a little patience, you can find the parts you need.

Not too handy to be completely honest... thank you very much for the replies though!!!

If you get it, contact @mel lowe. He has Cruiser parts and may have the headrests and third row. He is in North Florida. Steering wheel is pretty simple to remove and reinstall. Santini steering wheels in Lauderdale FL did mine. Or... you can do a wheelskins cover. Probably next best thing to complete recover and will cost less than $100.

As for $3500, I think you are low, but you can make the offer. I would be surprised if you got it for less than $5000.

Do these have rust issues like the tundras did??? Any problem areas to look for??? I was going to have a mechanic check it out as well.

The rear cross member in front of the spare tire and the body at the lower front and rear edge of the rear wheel well (behind the running board and mud flap) are areas I have found rust on my Cruiser which has been in Kansas since new.

If that rig drives well, $5k would be a bargain and $5.5k would be fair. But you will want to invest in a few tools and learn some basic repairs if you want to keep the high mileage budget Cruiser a budget Cruiser. I have to question why you are overly concerned about a few blemishes for a budget rig. But if you want to do a little refurbishing or basic maintenance, Mud is a very good place to learn from :)

If you find yourself in Kansas, you can have my 3rd row seats ;)

I bought my Cruiser 1/16 @ 246k miles. I drove it 24K miles by the end of the year and am sitting at 275K. My steering wheel cover was in much worse shape than the one posted. It was worn through, so I simply removed it. Has worked well for 16 months and looks much better. My rear spoiler was in the same shape as well. I simply unbolted the mounting brackets from the tailgate then reinstalled the bolts with some clear RTV to keep the water out. You can check out what I went through with my first year of ownership by following the link in my signature.

Last edited:
The rear crossmember in front of the spare tire and the body at the lower front and rear edge of the rear wheel well (behind the running board and mud flap).

If that rig drives well, $5k would be a bargain and $5.5k would be fair. But you will want to invest in a few tools and learn some basic repairs if you want to keep the high mileage budget Cruiser a budget Cruiser. I have to question why you are overly concerned about a few blemishes for a budget rig. But if you want to do a little refurbishing or basic maintenance, Mud is a very good place to learn from :)

If you find yourself in Kansas, you can have my 3rd row seats ;)

I bought my Cruiser 1/16 @ 246k miles. I drove it 24K miles by the end of the year and am sitting at 275K. My steering wheel cover was in much worse shape than the one posted. It was worn through, so I simply removed it. Has worked well for 16 months and looks much better. My rear spoiler was in the same shape as well. I simply unbolted the mounting brackets from the tailgate then reinstalled the bolts with some clear RTV to keep the water out. You can check out what I went through with my first year of ownership by following the link in my signature.

Looks like we have two quite similar situations!!! Makes me feel better about the price!

If it has good maintenance history and rust free, I think $5,000 is very fair price.

If you like the truck and it runs and drives good that's a very fair price. That condition is WAY nicer than one of mine I just sold for $3100. It had over 300K miles with bad tires and no maintenance records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom