Need some advice on tires! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tires shown are 285/70r17 and are Milstar Patagonia MT… they are too loud and now with the lift they look a bit tame… thought about 285/75 KO2 or Falkens but can’t seem to find a consensus on what it takes to fit them…. Anyway… any recommendations on rubber? Looking to make use of that wheel well space! Oh I have a 2 inch front/rear with their UCAs. Nittos are also on the table!

840E73BF-3F75-4C7A-A1C9-2E97588FD48D.jpeg

FF293DF7-351C-4ABA-859D-7C69ADA9EC4D.jpeg

If you’re moving away from M/Ts, I’m already extremely happy with the KO2’s. Thought that people calling them “quiet” was going to be a relative term, and still audible... not much of any difference from highway tires. Others on here have much more experience with them though, and will be able to give you a better impression of their performance long-term, than I will. If you’re trying to match the capability of the Patag’s, the Nitto Terra Grapplers are a shoe-in. Good experience with them on a half-ton back in the day. Loud though.

Lift looks nice in there by the way!

If you’re moving away from M/Ts, I’m already extremely happy with the KO2’s. Thought that people calling them “quiet” was going to be a relative term, and still audible... not much of any difference from highway tires. Others on here have much more experience with them though, and will be able to give you a better impression of their performance long-term, than I will. If you’re trying to match the capability of the Patag’s, the Nitto Terra Grapplers are a shoe-in. Good experience with them on a half-ton back in the day. Loud though.

Lift looks nice in there by the way!

If you mean Nitto Ridge Grapplers, than I'd agree. Nitto Terra Grapplers are the milder AT, bordering on HT design, now going on an 8yr+ design. I had NTGs back in the day and they don't hold up against the modern competitive set.

If you mean Nitto Ridge Grapplers, than I'd agree. Nitto Terra Grapplers are the milder AT, bordering on HT design, now going on an 8yr+ design. I had NTGs back in the day and they don't hold up against the modern competitive set.
s***, I meant Trail Grapplers for M/T equivalent. I’ve screwed those two up for years lol. Agreed on the Terra Grapplers though great tire if you weren’t needing anything crazy out of them.

Apologies @atsparkinson if my typo mislead you regarding Terra vs Trail grappler.

(PS- If you’re looking to go M/T and don’t want to pay the Nitto/Toyo money, the Atturo Trail Blade is turning out to be a decent tire for me on my 100-series. LT’s balanced perfectly, just as much bite as the others, load ratings well suited to 200-series, they just run maybe 10mm narrow on sizing at the contact patch. Happy to update when I’ve got more than 5K miles on them)

New hotness is the Mickey Thompson Baja boss at released last month.

Prices aren’t bad on that tire… with decent warranty… wondering how much tire I could get! Probably safest to go 33X12.5?
33x12.50 won't be any taller than your current tires, and only a hair wider. Of the sizes listed for the Baja Boss, the 295/70/17 would be your best bet but you might have some minor trimming or mud flap removal to fit them.

Going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers..285/75r17. I will report on fitment. I tried to get the Thompson’s but they sold out right after I was ready to commit. I think the Nittos will be great!

Don't be shocked when they still look a little small..

New hotness is the Mickey Thompson Baja boss at released last month.
Prices aren’t bad on that tire… with decent warranty… wondering how much tire I could get! Probably safest to go 33X12.5?

They seem pretty heavy for their respective sizes compared to the competition. Not sure I'd want to carry the additional 10lbs per tire unless they were significantly better.

I have a hard time running anything but BFG All Terrain KO2s. They look good, perform well, and last a long time. Ive also been able to sell them on when they are 30% tread for 50% of new and go get a new set.

I dont like my Ko2's. The only good thing i can say about them is that they last a long time. They dont really perform that well off road as they are an AT. They are much heavier than the Toyo, Yokahama, and other similar AT's which causes your fuel economy to suck extra bad when compared to those tires. In my experience they are louder than the Toyo and ride harsher than them too. THey dont perform as well in the mud as many other AT's either.

I have Duratrac's on my 80 and they are just as quite and ride better than the BFG's do on an 80.

You can remove that front flap for sure. Unless the lift is helping (looks like it does), you are probably rubbing on the rear (of front tire) flap as well. I can’t help with KDSS, I don’t have one of those. Basically for front and rear flaps, you should be able to follow what LX guys are doing for 34-35” tires, then just figure out your kdss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom