Need some advice on a nice spot to take my family for the day. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Austin, TX until 8/04 then Chicago, IL until 6/11
Hello All,
Been lurking for awhile and busy with life. Had my old FJ60 for 14yrs now and have been in Phoenix for about 3.5yrs now. Was able to go on a run a couple of years back, but training and life have made time scarce.

So, training is finished and I actually have a few days before X-mas off and I need y'alls advice.

I'd like to take my wife, 4month old and 2 dogs somewhere with a wicked view in my old 60. Something that would befit our old trucks. Looking for a day trip.

Eleanor is a 86 FJ60 on 33 BFG AT, 3inch lift with shackle reversal. No winch, but with hi-lift.

Would appreciate any advice... Thanks in advance

Patrick

P9130213.jpg

How about Montana Mountain Loop. nice trail with nice scenery

great pics LXA ~

Here is the CSC club run from 03/2012.https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/march-2012-monthly-trail-run.568107/
Trip report by Fumann on post #106 on page 6 along with more pictures. I think we had something like 16 trucks or so on this run. My favorite picture that that I took on this run, that's when I had my 60 (last truck in the picture behind the 55)

0312run-jpg.612321

Last edited:
Murf that was the same day the pictures I posted are from. I found that post and found a picture of our group, minus my truck, the other Titan and the broken first gen Xterra I had to pull all the way back to the trail head. I actually passed you guys on the way back to the trail head. I remember all of you guys because it seemed like the train of Land Cruisers would never end.

Now that you mention it yes, I remember "the Nissan group" that day. If I remember right it was a freak snowstorm out of nowhere that day which made the day extra interesting and fun.

Yeah we actually spent the weekend out there camping and it started to rain very hard the night before so we had packed up camp and slept in our vehicles. The next morning we started off on the trail and it started to snow. It made for an awesome trip.

Thanks all for the advice and especially for the pictures.
Wifey got all excited when she saw the views.

Any recs on where to stop, enjoy a view and let the dogs out for a bit?

again, thanks

Patrick

ps... Promise to throw up some pics when we get back

That trail looks really cool... no pun intended. The views from the top of 4 Peaks Road / Cline Cabin are pretty nice, too. Easy road (I've seen actual cars on this trail). From the highest point you can see the valley to the west, and to the east, Roosevelt Lake. 2-way radio reception is pretty good up there (I've talked to vehicles on the I-40 on 2 meters and heard people on CB as well). Cool trip and you can continue down the other side to the Highway 188, north to Punkin Center and then back to Phx after you hit the Beeline. South to Globe and Miami and to the 60, then back to Phx. Have fun and share the pics!

X2 on Montana Mountain Road - more wheeling and much less traffic than 4 Peaks

Humboldt Mountain has awesome views as well - and you can stop at the Seven Springs Campground and enjoy the creek if it's running

Harquahala Peak on the west side also has views

another easy route is the Florence-Kelvin Highway - nice views as you get further east

Walnut Canyon is very scenic, too

four peaks, syacamore creek, knoll lake, and crown king are pretty nice

four peaks, syacamore creek, knoll lake, and crown king are pretty nice

Knoll Lake besides being cooler then other places the road to it may be closed. Elk seasons are pretty over and Christmas cutting area this year is just off highway 87 and on the opposite side of 87 then Knoll Lake. Roads along the rim may be closed already. 300 road from the east is paved to Woods Canyon Lake and probably still open unless they closed down the lake. Beyond that.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom