Need some advice LC100 vs Suburban2500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking around here for a while and considering getting an LC100. Right now I have a BMW528i and need something significantly bigger.

I am not looking to do any offroading (at least not now) and the vehicle will mostly be used to either haul around machinery parts or machinery on the back of a trailer. I would rather not have a pickup truck since it will be my daily driver and the extra interior room would be quite welcome. Additionally, loading anything heavy (in excess of 1000lbs) is much easier on a trailer and safer. If some yuppie cuts me off I don't have to worry about 4000 lbs of cast iron crushing me in the cab.

My main bench mark is that is be reliable and long lasting and have the ability to tow up to 5-6000lbs worth of trailer (not on a regular basis though). I intend to keep the vehicle until the sun burns out so it has to be something that will last a long time.

Since its going to be my only vehicle a comfy ride and interior is a definite plus. Price range I am looking at is between 13K and 17K (essentially my BMW plus up to another $4k or so).

So with this in mind I've narrowed it down to either a 1998-2000 LC100 or a Suburban 2500 with the 6.1L engine.

LC 100 Pros:
Reliable and Long Lasting
Better ride and tactile feel

Cons:
More Expensive to buy and get parts for
Can't haul as much

Sub2500
Pros:
Bigger and Cheaper

Cons:
Have some doubts on long term reliability
On-star, will deactivate this if I can

Looking forward to seeing some opinions on this. Thanks in advance.:)

Sub = POS!

Sorry but this is a LC forum:flipoff2:

I have 2 friends with them and I can't even stand to ride in them. I would rather drive my 1996 LC than there 2002 and 2004 sub. If you are use to the quality of a BMW you can't do the SUB.

The Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon are some of GMs best vehicles and among their most reliable. Unfortunately that still doesn't help them much when compared to a LC.

The Suburban will give you a little more wheelbase and power if you are going to be towing heavier loads most of the time. But the LC tows well. For quality, durability, reliability and longevity the LC definately has the edge. Not only will the LC last but it will still be a nice truck with a lot of miles while a Suburban may actually last longer than you want to drive it.

You can get a diesel Suburban. That's the best reason to look at one. Other than that, Toy all the way.

i question a cruiser as primary tow vehicle.

look at it this way.... since this is a cruiser board.

how many guys here tow their 40's with big US iron vs lc100's? not many.

i think the tow limit is 5000 pounds on an lc100. whats a sub2500? 10000 pounds?

i think if you tow what you say youre gonna tow (4000 + trailer?), youre gonna wear out a LC, and have expensive repairs to boot. the LC is super reliable within its limits, but it wasnt designed as a tow vehicle.

What is the most I can safely drag behind an LC100?

Not a load that would be hauled on a regular basis but if I need to get a smaller lathe or similar I would like to be able to do it without having to go through the hassle of renting a rig.

I was looking at a Chevy truck forum and any one know what piston slap is? It seems to be mentioned quite frequently :eek:

I just took a loss on getting out of a 05 tahoe z71....great until the 36k waranty ran out then nothing but problems.

If your coming out of a BMW the burban is going to feel like your driving a Uhaul truck.....The LC is much more refined..responsive....I can't belive it's a 3 ton vehicle.

I'm not an expert on this but if you need to tow bigger load, i'm sure you
can beef up the suspension.

IMO ....don't get a suburban if you plan for the long haul...I'd rather see you get a duramax 2500 crewcab.

if it will fit your needs get a used LC and put $1-2k in suspension mods and great tires....you won't be disapointed with the daily ride :)

It is true that Toyota parts cost more $$. But in the end, add everything you've had to buy to repair your vehicle and you will be ahead on the LC.

My parents have a Sub. It has gone through 2 short blocks and one tranny. All of these went out on family vacations. The vacations had to wait until the following years and the week was spend waiting for repairs. Granted this is still possible with a Toyota, but not as likely.

Tow rating on a Cruiser is 6500# and on a 3/4 ton Suburban is 12,000.

That said, I used to own both and for what you describe you can get by nicely with a Cruiser and be happy.

If you go with a Suburban, get a 1/2 ton, it will tow anything you throw at it and it will get MUCH better mileage. The 5.3 is stout enough (much stouter than the 4.7 in the Toyota) and it gets 5-6 mpg better than a 6.0.

My 6.0 3/4 ton Suburban was a BEAST on gas. My 5.3 Suburban was actually pretty good. 19 on the hwy....much better in fact than my 2001 TLC.

I would get the Cruiser though, you may pay 20 k for it, but i n3-4 years it will be still worth something. The Suburban gets KILLED on resale.

i think the tow limit is 5000 pounds on an lc100. whats a sub2500? 10000 pounds?

LC100 is 6500 lbs.

SUB is 7000lbs (1/2T 5.3L 4x4 w/3.43) to 9400lbs (3/4T 6.0L 2WD w/4.10)

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban/specifications/

Really not a huge difference. To get a diesel you'd have to go pretty old. They didn't offer a diesel in the last body style and they aren't offering one in the new style yet.

My 02. cents is that while any other SUV, led alone the 2500 Suburban may be less up front used, and relitively inexpensive to repair, in the long run the down time and costs will be much more than the difference you will pay to purchase. And they parts from cruiser dan on here and else where on the net make the LC a no brainer. I think if you test drive the two with the trailer attached you would have a better Idea of feel!
Best of luck in what ever you decide.

Some more LC Pros:

-Much better resale value
-Better styling
-Full time 4wd
-Chick magnet

LOL

Yeah... all those 30 to 40 somthing milf's eyeing me....well all the LC's grocery space!

Or wait until the new Sequoia comes out. That's supposed to have the new Tundra 5.7L, which tows like, what, 9000 lbs?

I was looking at a Chevy truck forum and any one know what piston slap is? It seems to be mentioned quite frequently :eek:

Simplified, piston slap is the noise caused by a loose piston moving in its cylinder. It sound similar to the clackety-clack of a diesel engine. Apparently, in many SBC (short-block chevy) engines, a cold piston is not as snug in its cylinder as it should be.

Piston slap noise usually goes away when the engine warms up (piston expands, cylinder sleeve doesn't expand as much). However in the long run, cold-engine piston slap will cause premature wear on the sleeve and/or the piston, and will lead to loose compression.

It's a perennial problem with Chevrolet (probably extending to GM)... complete with class action suits and all. Haven't heard of piston slap problems with Toyota.

The reliability of the LC is definitely better, but it costs more to fix. Parts prices are closer to 'BMW' than 'Chevy.' The downtime issue is the real big one. The above post regarding the thing breaking on vacation: my parents had a Chevy 1500 Beauville van, and the tranny dropped twice in 9 months, the second time right before a family vacation.

I know GM had a lot of reliability issues with the 6.5 diesels when they came out in the mid-90's, so be careful about that. The 6.2 was definitely the toughest, I don;t really know about the Duramax but I didn't think they ever put those in the Subs.

If you've got $4K extra to sink, why not get a 1993 Silverado with a hitch, and keep the Bimmer?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm a little hesitant to plunk down the cash without doing all my research first.

Dr. J, I'm going to be moving somewhere (not sure yet) but its basically cross country. In my budget I looked at either buying a truck or renting a truck and then buying a beater to haul my junk around. I'd be looking at a minimum of 4K either way and the logistics and current situation make it easier for me to have one vehicle.

I think 6500lbs would be sufficient for me (at least for now).

Would there be any issues on towing on the max limits with the Lexus hydralic suspension?

Hey Maxim,

I've had a 91 4x4 2500 and a 94 4x2 1500. Both subs ate lot's of fuel @ 12mpg avg. Both subs were also very long, large, and difficult to park. I currently have a stock 2000 100LC which gets 15-16 mpg, has less interior capacity, but is much easier to drive and park. The LC would be my personal choice based on reliability past the 100k mark and is a more refined truck. Hope this helps.

Mike.

i never get how people get 16mpg from a cruiser. the EPA is 16 highway. thats flat. thats 0-60 in 4 minutes. thats no AC with the windows up. i dont think a person could get 16mpg out of one of these things if the mile it traveled was tossing it out of a c130 while it idled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom