Need shock help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to get four shocks for a 73 40. The truck has a spring over conversion front and rear with a shackle reversal. Also plan to put Ford shock towers on it.

Does anybody know the length of shock I need to get?

oh...and no pics yet:)

Need some more information. Have you flexed it out? You need to measure for each axle: 1. your static shock mount to mount distance 2. Remove all shocks and flex the truck as much as you can. Measure the mount to mount distance on the flexed and compressed sides for the front and rear axles. This will provide the 3 measurements you need to determine your shock size.
Rancho RS5000's are a popular and effective shock for FJ40's and they have several length combinations to choose from.

I agree with Stumpalama. Flex it out first and get your measurements. Once I did this, I came up with the following Rancho shocks for my FJ40 (SOA w/ Ford towers) front: RS999012 with 19" - 32" of travel and rear: RS999112 with 16" - 26" of travel. I would get shocks with longer travel for the rear as I think that my shocks are limiting rear axle travel. The RS5000s are good (as Stumpalama points out) but I like the adjustability of the 9000s. I tighten them down for road driving and it greatly reduces body roll but once off road, I loosen them up to allow greater flexability.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom