need power steering! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
both my cruisers need power steering. i want saginaw for both but want a safe, easy to install kit(sor,maf,tpi,aa or downey)instead of a home built. any experience with these kits? any suggestions, info would be great. :p

Why saginaw? mini truck would be just fine(and prolly better) for your rigs and it's gonna be alot more "easy/safe/bolt on-ish" then Saginaw.

Just did Toyota PS to my 82 fj40, like it SO much I will be doing it to the other 82 and then similar to the fj45

also fj60 PS is an option

But if your set on saginaw.......just ignore me :D

John H

The mini truck power steering is the easiest option, check out jt outfitters. They offer the components to go that route, but the only downfall of going that route is that you are keeping the center arm. Till you get a rebuild kit for the center arm and install it, you'd be better off going the saginaw way. But thats just my opinion.

Is it to be for a street ride, a trail rig, or a crawler? I think the parts should be fit for the task at hand. Also what engine/drivetrain is in use? Tire size? Other mods? Or is it a Toyota purist machine.

I'm with the Pimp on this one too, for the reasons he stated. Just replace all your TRE's and rebuild the center arm and its all good. Minitruck looks stock and drives well.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=5301;start=msg41640#msg41640 date=1063690122]
Is it to be for a street ride, a trail rig, or a crawler? I think the parts should be fit for the task at hand. Also what engine/drivetrain is in use? Tire size? Other mods? Or is it a Toyota purist machine.
[/quote]

I was looking at his rigs specs in the sig line

76 fj40.2f aqualu tub and fenders, 3"lift, 33" bias swampers
78 fj45 lwb pickup all stock except, aqualu cab, 2" lift, 33" ats

GO mini truck! Under no conditions buy a kit, you will get ripped off. If you are not comfortable installing it yourself hire a cruiser shop. Saginaw is great and has it place but it is more expensive and does require fabrication skills even with the "complete" kit. You can kill yourself real fast with bad steering. The vast majority of saginaw conversions I have seen were death rides.

Howdy fellas,

I bought a mini truck mount kit from Vic... think he has a cruiser shop in MI. He takes an existing steering box mount and modifies it to accept the mini turck power box. Nice quality.

viccin@centurytel.net

I agree with these fellas.... mini truck is the easier way to go.

If you are looking for one stop shopping I would go with JTO...they got everything you need. I gotta go junking for the hardware, but I'm sure it will be awhole lot less $$ when I'm done.

Yo Han

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=5301;start=msg41640#msg41640 date=1063690122]
[/quote]

the 40 is a summer toy/bush pig which now sits on 35s with original drivetrain. the 45 is a DD with a bit of offroading(hunting,fishing). i just got it on the road and its a dog in terms of steering. both have sloppy steering.

The toy is cute and a sweet install. If you had said rockcrawler I would have recomended a saginaw. They are superior for brute strength and don't rely on a bellcrank and extra moving parts. As for being a "death ride" even the simplest install can be "rednecked". I've seen very nice sag installs and I've also seen some true slop. Right now, in my shop, I'm doing a sag with crossover draglink and hi-steer tie-rod behind the axle. I'll try to get pics. Don't have digital.

i have a saginaw works great the only thing is i wished i had got the telescopic steering shaft which i recommend as axle and body movement differ on rough terrain

For what it's worth the FJ60 PS set-up can be pretty clean depending how you space the box off the frame and what you want for shocktowers. It doesn't have quite the 1 finger steering I've felt with the saginaw box but I prefer a little feedbackoff the road. Plus's: increased header clearance vs. saginaw, FJ60 box has splined intermediate shaft to account for body twist, don't have to cut the frame X member, PS box isn't in the way of bumpers/winches, easy install, minimal number of joints, and minimal fabrication. Minus's: not as much assist, FJ60 box can be harder to find (more expensive), modifying the shock tower, minimal clearance for a larger radiator, trimming of inner fender skirt required, ideally would have modified pitman arm, should be welded for add'l safety.

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=5301;start=msg41740#msg41740 date=1063724225]
GO mini truck! Under no conditions buy a kit, you will get ripped off. If you are not comfortable installing it yourself hire a cruiser shop. Saginaw is great and has it place but it is more expensive and does require fabrication skills even with the "complete" kit. You can kill yourself real fast with bad steering. The vast majority of saginaw conversions I have seen were death rides.
[/quote]

Mine is a death ride. PO had a garage do a "fab yer own" kinda thing. Very poorly put together. Had to rebuild the box, replaced the pump, and all steering joints.

Now that it's all done right it works awesome, but not without quite a bit of fabrication, dollars and aggrevation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom