Need New Windshield - Is Safelite an Option? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny this thread should appear as I stopped by my local Satellite yesterday. I've had wind noise above 40 mph at the upper passenger side of my windshield since I got the rig 2 years ago and there's no obvious problem to blame it on. I'm finally getting to the point where I want it to go away and do have a glass addendum on my insurance. I stopped by Safelight and their tech was helpful and pointed out the side molding on the driver's side upright was missing and underneath I could see there was one screw and two rivets. Pretty sure someone botched the job in the past but he said they'll really have to pull the glass and take things apart to solve the problem, and it makes sense to just replace the glass at that point when it's all apart anyway.

I've had a mobile indy guy do lots of windshields on my other rigs and always been happy so wouldn't mind using him again rather than having to leave the rig with Safelight for a day and deal with that hassle.

So, my question is: What is the right way to do these windshields? If no silicone then what? Screws or rivets? When I do have someone do the job what do I need to make sure they do to do it right?

Urethane adhesive is what is often used in glass applications. Beware of the windshield tech that will urethane the entire molding down to the windshield.

Dan, I can call Safelite to find out the name of the tech that last did my install...he, again, was in a league of his own. I think, but can't be 100% certain, his name was Geoff.
He was probably the first guy, the second guy from Safelite didn't even have a rivet gun, long story on that. We used Z glass last time, they did a good job, they also did a good job on the 84 Cruiser. Local place so I didn't mention it here since the OP was in Cal.

Whatever you do not go to Fast Glass here in Reno, they totally screwed up the windshield on the Mercury. It still leaks and they flat refused to do anything about it. Another long story.

This will be my the third windshield. The first time I had it replaced by Lexus but had $0 deductible insurance on glass at the time (believe it was close to $2K to replace).

I must be naive - I'm used to a windshield replacement putting me back $150 cash (at most ). How much do you spend on one for a Land Cruiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom