Need new Aaternator-what year engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Last night the alternator siezed on my fj40.
I am planning to get a mean green one, but am unsure what year my engine actually is. The truck is a '78 but the engine was put in by the PO from NAPA. All I know is that it's a 2F from a later model.
The engine tag says "2F 536374"
I looked at the specter site but it doesn't go past '78 and there was nothing close.

Anyone know what year this is?

thanks!

the mean green is the same for all 2f's, all that matters is if it has an external regulator or internal, if external you must make some wiring changes. If internal it's bolt on, no wiring changes, except too upgrade the alt/bat wire.

Not sure what year it is.

Thanks Landpimp,

I believe mine has an external regulator that sits on the pass. fender.
I've enjoyed seeing the pics of all your cruisers and the dual batt setup in your green(?) 40, as well. Do you recall which kit you used from Wrangler? I might do that setup in the spring.

Did you end up using a mean green alt.?

For the wiring xhanges, do I just need to bypass the old regulator or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,
Jim

Try alternatorparts.com, before you buy a mean green one. I got a 250 amp one for under $500 from them. And you can use a interally regulated unit, they offer the plug to make it work. There tech staff are great, more than happy to anwser any questions, unlike mean green. I tried emailing them about 4 times, with no response. So screw them, I went with quickstart. You won't be disapointed, the alternator is massive, it looks like it could power a small city. I would check them out before you do anything. Thanks, Pete

Yes I did go with a Mean Green in my fj60, nowever 2 weeks ago it died on me,locked up solid, so it's back at MG, I should hear something soon.

I didn't use a kit, I peiced my Wrangler stuff together, 200amp selnoid, Battery Manager, and numerous mil spec terminals and boots, got the welding cable local as well as the ends, built all cables myself........I enjoy that kinda stuff :)

I posted the install instuctions(for int and ext) for the Mean Green a few weeks ago here, do a search, if not I can dig em up again. I recall you just bypass

godzilla, $300 for a 200 amp Mean Green is $200 less than the 250amp unit you used, IMOP the MG makes more sense.

[quote author=Mainer7 link=board=1;threadid=9452;start=msg82603#msg82603 date=1072894946]
Thanks Landpimp,

I believe mine has an external regulator that sits on the pass. fender.
I've enjoyed seeing the pics of all your cruisers and the dual batt setup in your green(?) 40, as well. Do you recall which kit you used from Wrangler? I might do that setup in the spring.

Did you end up using a mean green alt.?

For the wiring xhanges, do I just need to bypass the old regulator or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,
Jim
[/quote]

Landpimp, I disagree. Yes my alternator cost more, but it also offers 50 more amps of power, and when your running a winch that counts. I think I paid like $479 with shipping, and that included the wiring harness. And if paying a little extra money to have good tech support, is what I have to do, so be it. I'm tired of places like DOWNEY OFFROAD, that have a bunch of D__head monkeys (you fill in the blank) answering the phones that act like you are wasting their time by spending your hard earned money buying parts from them. If I lived in ca, I would have went down to downey and gave somebody a earful, so in short sometimes its better to spend a little more money than have to deal with the frustration in the long run. Sorry, didnt mean to ramble on.

Thanks for your replies guys. I just got off the phone with the Toyota dealer and they can get me an remanufactures OEM one for around 250. I'm tempted to spend a little extra for the mean green, but am a little cautious of their supposed poor tech assistance. I have contacted them a couple of days ago and have still not hear back.
Landpimp, have you had issues dealing with them?

I have heard good things about their product itself and I don't have a winch or tons of accessories so I'm not worried about getting more power from it. I just need one because my stock one just croaked and now I'm on the public bus schedule! This is why I thought mean green would be a suitable replacement for the cost/performance ratio seems comparable to going OEM.

Thanks again Landpimp and Godzilla
Sorry to ramble.
I'm not a talker

Correction,
The remanufactured alt. from toyota was closer to $180

I can't comment yet on Mean Greens customer service, they got my alt on the 30th, but due to the holidays I'm not suprised I havn't heard from them, MG might just be one or two guys. I will say this Paul from Mean Green called me when he heard my alt went out........so thats a good start. FWIW it would take 2 weeks to get a MG anyway, thats too long to be riding the bus ;)

Right now I would say for $180 go with the reman OEM, the Toyota remans are as good as new..........great stuff.

[quote author=Mainer7 link=board=1;threadid=9452;start=msg82676#msg82676 date=1072901598]
Thanks for your replies guys. I just got off the phone with the Toyota dealer and they can get me an remanufactures OEM one for around 250. I'm tempted to spend a little extra for the mean green, but am a little cautious of their supposed poor tech assistance. I have contacted them a couple of days ago and have still not hear back.
Landpimp, have you had issues dealing with them?

I have heard good things about their product itself and I don't have a winch or tons of accessories so I'm not worried about getting more power from it. I just need one because my stock one just croaked and now I'm on the public bus schedule! This is why I thought mean green would be a suitable replacement for the cost/performance ratio seems comparable to going OEM.

Thanks again Landpimp and Godzilla
Sorry to ramble.
I'm not a talker
[/quote]

Frankly I would have been happy with a 100 amp alt, that all anyone really needs on a 40 or 60. Yes I run a winch(8274) dual Oddyesy batteries. FWIW the MG alts come with the pig tail to hook up to the OEM wiring(on int reg cruisers) If you happy than thats all that matters :)

Never had a need to deal with Downey, prolly never will.

[quote author=godzilla link=board=1;threadid=9452;start=msg82667#msg82667 date=1072901063]
Landpimp, I disagree. Yes my alternator cost more, but it also offers 50 more amps of power, and when your running a winch that counts. I think I paid like $479 with shipping, and that included the wiring harness. And if paying a little extra money to have good tech support, is what I have to do, so be it. I'm tired of places like DOWNEY OFFROAD, that have a bunch of D__head monkeys (you fill in the blank) answering the phones that act like you are wasting their time by spending your hard earned money buying parts from them. If I lived in ca, I would have went down to downey and gave somebody a earful, so in short sometimes its better to spend a little more money than have to deal with the frustration in the long run. Sorry, didnt mean to ramble on.
[/quote]

[quote author=Mainer7 link=board=1;threadid=9452;start=msg82676#msg82676 date=1072901598]
I don't have a winch or tons of accessories so I'm not worried about getting more power from it.
[/quote]

Seems to me like an extra $150-$200 for high output isn't necessary in your case. Not sure how many amps the stock alternator puts out. I do know I ran a winch for years on 2 batteries and the stock charging system on 2 heaps with no problems. Only occasional use but still . . .

How long did your last OEM alternator last, and do you plan to add a winch and lights in the near future?

.02 :)

Jim,

You may need to do some homework to find out if this will work, however, I have an alternator from my 74 (f engine) I'm no longer using. All I can tell you about it is it was working when I pulled the engine and it isn't very pretty but I'll never have a use for it if you want it. I know this isn't the sale section so please forgive me ... just trying to help out. I don't care much about the money thing. How's $25 plus shipping?

Send an IM if you think it will work for you.

Rice

Landpimp,
yeah, that's WAAAY too long to be on the Bus!

Theo-I'm not sure how long it lasted, because I've only had the truck for like 6 months.
The prev owner had the engine replaced in '99 with a '79/'80 2f (not sure what year actually). I'm assuming it's the OEM one, correct wires, OEM regulator, etc. (just no Toyota badge).

Separate note: If the alt completely froze up (I heard the bearings dying but didn't know what it was) is it necessary to replace the external voltg regulator as well as the belt? I was just planning on replacing the belt (A little singed) and alt.

Thanks again!
Jim

Regulator should not have been affected so leave the old one in.

yeah use your old reg, might call Toyota back and ask them for a alt without reg, I think they are around $100.

[quote author=Mainer7 link=board=1;threadid=9452;start=msg84920#msg84920 date=1073336313]
Landpimp,
yeah, that's WAAAY too long to be on the Bus!

Theo-I'm not sure how long it lasted, because I've only had the truck for like 6 months.
The prev owner had the engine replaced in '99 with a '79/'80 2f (not sure what year actually). I'm assuming it's the OEM one, correct wires, OEM regulator, etc. (just no Toyota badge).

Separate note: If the alt completely froze up (I heard the bearings dying but didn't know what it was) is it necessary to replace the external voltg regulator as well as the belt? I was just planning on replacing the belt (A little singed) and alt.

Thanks again!
Jim
[/quote]

Turns out the PO kept the original '78 alt with the newer 2F. So, the dealer is going to order one for 1978 that will only cost $78 instead of $187.95. I was kind of bummed about one more day on the bus, but a reman. alt for 78 bucks makes it okay. So, can I assume that all stock 2Fs can share alernaters and fan belts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom