Need info on welding wire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll get it form IOC again. Bill from IOC told me it was the 10lb. spool (Lincoln NR211) so I'm going there again. Can't beat free shipping. I'm also not in a hurry, it's raining cats and dogs here right now.

Last edited:
There are different liners and tips for .23 wire and .030-.035 wire. Go to the miller website and you can get all the info you need for the model you have. Better yet call Miller and talk with the technical support people in the MIG group. You will find that flux core wire is much more expensive than solid core. The grade of wire will also make a difference in the quality of weld depending on how clean the surface is. E70S-6 MIG Welding Wire is a mild steel electrode that provides sound, porosity-free welds. You'll get excellent weldability with powerful deoxidizers for your work with CO2 and other commercially available shielding gas mixtures. Typical applications are construction work, farm implement fabrication, general bodyshop applications with poor fit-up or rusty, oily plates. Personally, I prefer CO2 to an Argon/CO2 mix (C25). I think it give better penetration and less splatter or flash.

. Personally, I prefer CO2 to an Argon/CO2 mix (C25). I think it give better penetration and less splatter or flash.

Straight CO2 produces porous oxidized welds unless deoxifying wire, wire with silicon or Manganese added, are used. Cheaper, it is.

Let me sum up.

There are multiple liners. However unless you pan on welding AL with your unit (PITA) you are going to be running .023 to .35 wire.. .045 is big stuff that you should not think about with a 135 machine..

Your machine came stock with a liner for .035. You can pass anywhere from .023 to .035 through that liner without incident.

Tips are another story. you can run smaller wire through a larger tip. But there is a significant chance that you will have sputtering issues due to a bad wire/tip contact (the tip actually carries the voltage).

So, make sure that your tip is the right size (easy to change)

And weld away..

BTW, the cheap wire works better than most people can weld..

If you are going to run a mix and use solid wire, just stock the .024 consumables-

That machine will run out of gas with the larger wires- it won't run hotter or give you any more 'penetration' because you only have a certain amount of amps to work with and an .024 wire can use all the MM135 has already. Just turn the WFS up.

If you all-ready own some .030 or .035, just do a little experiment- max your volts and start doing some beads, weld a few inches stop- do another with increased WFS, repeat.
At some point you will not sustain any arc length and the wire will start to stab or stub - and wfs beyond this point is of no use with that wire- because there is not enough current left from the powersource to keep an arc gap.

Simplifying your tooling will reward you with $ and time. Time being the most important.

{ stocking .030 might be cheaper than .024, generally the smaller the wire the more expensive, but the smallest I use is .035 so I am not current on prices. What I mean is if I owned that machine .030 solid, would be my max wire size}

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom