Need ideas for spare tire mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

i need to put my spare any other place but in the back of the truck loose and a in the way. any suggestions would be much appreciated to save space, mounting options, etc. i have some ideas but wanted to hear others. :beer:

I am assuming LandCruiser. Which model you have may influence some people's views on where to put a spare, but for me, the only answer is on a tire-carrier mounted to the rear bumper--regardless of model of Cruiser. In my 60, I had the tire inside, but there it takes up too much room. I had it mounted in/on the roof rack but that was a HUGE PITA to get up and down (and I was only runnin' a mild lift and 32s). I had it underneath in stock location, but that sucks to get to when you are in a pinch and takes some of your clearance. So, after that I really only had one choice: tire carrier on rear bumper.

I guess you could always mount it on the hood or on the front bumper... :slap:

Well I am making what I think is the coolest holder for my 40. I will explain it to you if you want but first is it for a 40 and what size of tires. You can actually hold 2 if you want and it doesn't mess with the bumper.

Eternal-Back tomorrow

O.K. I am going to out on a limb here and say that you have a 60 :-/ Your other post mentions one. If that's the case what are you complaining about? Strap it down in the back and fooogeetaboutit... Or you can take the advice of theferg and do the obvious. Bumper or rack. FWIW there were some crude mock ups in the tech section for an interior holder. The stock locale is under the truck but that sucks... If you want to be different; strap it to the hood and look like you’re on Safari with all the gay Rover owners :-*

Eternal, lets hear about the trick mount.  I have a 40 and i have been trying to lose the stock one for a better one but i haven't come across it yet.  I would love to hear the details

Ok so the idea goes like this. I wanted space for external carriers (gas and supplies) which are mounted on swing outs on the bumper. Pretty straight forward. So where to put the tire. I have a 6 point cage that I built with passengers in mind so on the rear hoop I have designed an inverted "T" that has, for lack of a proper terms, clamps on each end of the "T" so 3 in total. The center clamp clips over the top horizontal part of the hoop while the other 2 clamps attach to the vertical. The clamps are easily attached in 2-3 minutes and easily removed when not in need of the spare. Now what is really cool is that it is completely reversable to run inside the rig with the hard top on. No need to move the tire when wanting to get in the back through the doors. It only allows me 2 passengers in the back with the tire like that. But not a lot of people that interested in being passenger (in the back no less) in the winter around here. Now the only limit I can think of is tire size but I would bet you could get up to 44 on there. Now if I didn't have a rear hoop I would probably extend the vertical section of hte "T" and bend a 90 in it and run it to the main hoop on a standard roll bar. It might be somewhat coumbersome for mounting but not really. The only thing you would have to do is make that actual tire mounting part of the apperatus reversable. Just a few more nuts and bolts but hey don't we all have enough of those around anyway. Hope that kinda explains the concept, i totally understand what I am talkin about. I have to get a digital camera cause pics are sooo much better. Hope that sparks some thoughts for you CAVSFJ40.

Eternal-going out this weekend YAHOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom