Ford need help for a dd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 95 ford ranger 2.3 ac and powersteering not installed(factory). I have owned the truck since 2004. In the last year I have cleaned the k&n air flilter, changed plugs and wires, fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body. Then it sat after that for a few months. Recently i seafoamed it thought the vacuum line from the brake booster and poured a can in the gas tank. Then it started running rough and backfiring with no check engine light. What I have checked so far is oil level which is good. Cleaned the maf sensor. Took the egr off the the intake couldn't get the tube from the exhaust to intake manifold off but looked the best i could and hit what i could with some carb cleaner. Another new fuel filter (helped a little bit with rough idle no improvement with back fire). Checked to spark plugs they were all clean(not fouled) but the #2 intake side spark plug would not go back in with out some persuasion. Threads wouldn't grab had to put some pressure on it to get it to go. I tried two different plugs so thinking not the plug threads but the ones on the block. Looking for somethoughts. My next guess is low compression cylinder 2 but haven't got a chance to test that theory out yet. Still no check engine light.

Thanks for you help

Pat

So maybe pull valve cover and inspect? Any advice from there?

So maybe pull valve cover and inspect? Any advice from there?

Not much advice to offer other than drain out the fuel currently in the tank, then run about five gallons of 'clean' gas through it, just to eliminate one possibility.

Seafoamed through the throttle body and I think that the back fire is gone. But for sure isn't idleing right. I can hear valves (i think) sounds like a sewing machine. I will have to wait till wend. to either drop the tank or take the bed off not sure which will be harder. i will fire it up again tonight before work and see how it runs. Defianitly take if for a drive tomorrow morning to see how she does with a load at highway speed. I have just over half a tank maybe burn through some and see what happend. Thanks for the help so far.

Pat

Well went back through the chilton's and used their trouble shooting guide. And came back with a stuck valve. Haven't pulled the cover yet or done a compresion test but I have a serious valve tick and can hear suction when the motor is running. Also the plugs for cylinder 1 are both showing signs of over heating(to hot). I will write something about the compresion test and looking at the valves when I get a chance.

Pat

Edit: If you have some recemondations about shops in the anchorage or valley area would love to hear them.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Update

Update
We pulled the head. Bad news. #4 cyl piston cracked. # 2 rings are going bad bypassing oil. #1 cylinder has some corrosion on the driver side of the block. Needs rebuilt and machined. So I guess that I will be buying another truck.

forgot pics
Photo0037.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom