NEED HELP! DISTRIBUTOR TO COIL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone supply pictures of what wires are going from the distributor to ignition coil. Also, my vehicle is not using the ballast.

My current setup is.....
(-) Distributor wire---> (-) Coil
(+) Distributor wire---> (+) Coil

As well as a Power wire from the main harness going to the (+) Coil

Holley customer service stated I did not need a POWER wire from harness to the coil. Said probably why my 2f wont start after installing Holley Sniper EFI.

My current setup is.....
(-) Distributor wire---> (-) Coil
(+) Distributor wire---> (+) Coil

I'd say your current setup is correct. And additionally, the yellow wire (from Sniper harness) goes to the coil negative terminal for rpm sensing. Also, 12 volts from the ignition switch "Run" should go to the pink wire in the Sniper harness.

The Sniper instructions don't put all that in one pic. You've got to look at two pics to get it all.
Page #17 and #23 "HERE"

I'd say your current setup is correct. And additionally, the yellow wire (from Sniper harness) goes to the coil negative terminal for rpm sensing. Also, 12 volts from the ignition switch "Run" should go to the pink wire in the Sniper harness.

The Sniper instructions don't put all that in one pic. You've got to look at two pics to get it all.
Page #17 and #23 "HERE"
Sorry I meant Yellow Sniper wire to (-) Coil. But for some reason it still wont start and run. Just keeps cranking.

As well as after looking at the Haynes manual. It shows both distributor wires going to the (-) Coil, and POWER wire from engine harness going to the (+) coil

Can you post some pics showing the wires on you coil & dizzy?

IMG_9053.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

COIL: Blue wire w red cap ---> Distributor (-) wire
COIL: Red wire w/white loom ---> Distributor (+) wire
COIL: Blue wire w/yellow cap ---> Engine Harness
YELLOW WIRE from Holley harness is on the (-) Coil

Which distributor is that. Do you have a Pertronix in there?

What is a distributor positive wire?
The Pertronix module has two wires. Pos. & Neg. That's why I asked. It might be a Trollhole dizzy or one of those Ebay jobs also.

I switched from Pertronix to a DUI before the Sniper but if I still had the Pertronix I would have wired it like this.

PertSnip 01.jpg

So long as the "Run" wire from the switch feeds both the pink wire and the + terminal on the coil. You could of just run the pink wire to the coil's + terminal but if you spliced it in, that's ok also.

Post a pic of your distributor with the cap off and we can probably identify it. It's most likely electronic since it has the two wires.

So long as the "Run" wire from the switch feeds both the pink wire and the + terminal on the coil. You could of just run the pink wire to the coil's + terminal but if you spliced it in, that's ok also.

Post a pic of your distributor with the cap off and we can probably identify it. It's most likely electronic since it has the two wires.
IMG_9057.jpg

What year is the 40? Have you verified you are getting 12+ volts from the keyed ignition source to coil? Steamers diagram looks correct. Your distributor has that black wire with black connector, what is that connected to? it appears that may be for grounding. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom