Need Fluid Capacities/Type List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping some of you would have a printable page of the capacities/type for a '78 FJ40 w/ the stock 2F motor. The 2 1/2 year rebuild is fixing to hit the road and I want to change what fluids I already haven't.
Could you please list recommended spark plugs,oil filter,etc. as well.
Thanks a bunch, Al.

What? Ya'll never change your fluids ???

[quote author=Iron_Pig link=board=1;threadid=6609;start=msg54061#msg54061 date=1066876332]
What? Ya'll never change your fluids ???
[/quote]

And how long have you owned the truck?

What? No owners manual? No factory service manual?

Sounds crazy to me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just go to Napa get whatever they have in regards to igntion tuneup. As far as fluids get yourself a 5 gallon bucket of 80-90w for both diffs, tranny, and t-case and an industrial style pump, makes changing gear oil a very quick operation, just fill till it pours out the fill plug and then give it two more pumps and slap that plug on before the extra drains out.
As far as the engine I run 20w 50 cause of a worn oil pump, I dunno what you should run. Go ahead and buy two 5 quart jugs, that way you can just fill till the dipstick tells you not too, (about 7.5-8 quarts it seems), and have some left over.

This is too basic of a question. You need to buy a factory or Haynes manual. I buy every manual then cross check them against each other. The best NON OEM I have found is the gregory from AUS.

How could you have done a 2.5 year rebuild without a book?

Hell, I cant even go to the bathroom without a factory manual.

The engine oil takes 8.2 quarts, according to manual. If the diffs are the same as my 62, they take 3-3.5 quarts. xfer case 1.5-2quarts. 80w-90 is recommended for everything.
If the diff drain plugs haven't been off in awhile, an impact wrench may be come in handy. Good luck.

Thanks for your help...those who did help. As far as "critics" are concerned, I do have a Haynes manual and it does not have all of the above information. They may have mentioned spark plug type, NGK (?) but I found nothing on capacities.
How did I do the rebuild w/o an owner's manual? By asking a zillion quetions on this board! The engine rebuild was farmed out as was the tub rebuild/paint. I've done alot of dismantling and reassembling.
I've found you guys that actually work on the L.C's to be much more informative than the Haynes manual,which at times has given WRONG information!
Once again,thanks for your help :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom