Need exhaust hanger help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing my stock exhaust with stock exhaust, or at least as close as I can make it. The hanger for the section of pipe between the cat and muffler has stumped me. I can’t figure out how to remove it without cutting it out, but then how do I install a new one? I’m removing the body this winter so I could just do it then but I’m curious how others have replaced this cushion? There isn’t enough clearance between the frame hanger and the bed to work this out. Thanks I’m advance.
4455671D-8B62-4A68-9933-4CB8E971FFF2.jpeg
BA58C8C5-A5A2-4BB7-AD6A-B6F7004E501C.jpeg
E1686628-68B6-4AAA-BFCE-9246FC56C3A0.jpeg
A69959A6-3FEF-4A22-ACC7-0AC5C22AA625.jpeg
14F701B8-C799-43ED-B5BE-B6561DB84B9B.jpeg

Replacing my stock exhaust with stock exhaust, or at least as close as I can make it. The hanger for the section of pipe between the cat and muffler has stumped me. I can’t figure out how to remove it without cutting it out, but then how do I install a new one? I’m removing the body this winter so I could just do it then but I’m curious how others have replaced this cushion? There isn’t enough clearance between the frame hanger and the bed to work this out. Thanks I’m advance.View attachment 3037868View attachment 3037869View attachment 3037870View attachment 3037871View attachment 3037872

let me find a old skool parts diagram for us based on the original micro fiche , this may help ?

i know this is a POST 8/80 ,

but a modle ID code would be exactly what i need and a prodyction date too

this could be a 45 P/U or a NON USA FJ43 import maybe

i can't tell ?

Last edited:
this is a 1982 USA spec. FJ40 microfiche digital slide

now , lets get busy and crack this safe .........:cool:

1655615073985.jpeg

i have identified your interference issue regarding the simple removal of the center B pipe rubber cushion

i also have the correct step by step for the new parts installation

this was indeed a head scratcher , it took me more then a few minutes , but your gonna laugh how simple silly it is when i explain in detail below ,

hang tite

- your current rubber exhaust cushion is from age and time is BENT and or CRUSHED Shorter or SMALLER on one side and STRECHED to it limit on the TALL or

LONGER side .......

- once you removed the load
IE : the entire 200 LB or so exhaust system it ( the Cushion ) has simply remained that way , its now fossilized in static weight memory ,

- the extreme angle is preventing from simply lifting it vertically straight up for removal ....

- CUT old Cushion off , with
saw saw / grinder off the studs , remove ......

- you should be able to slide a new cushion in with ease , how ever close as it is its enough room to clear the new cushion male studs ,

- install cushion first , secure with 2 new oem hex nuts ,

- then slide and glide in the top metal hanger portion and drop in centered over the top studs centered on cushion ,

- to understand this better see my TECH images below of a NEW OEM Cushion , see each side is
PLUMB LEVEL AND SQUARE .......

- NOT out of Square like your old one

- THIS IS THE WAY

Last edited:
Just ask. @RodrigzCrzr , my Solid MUD Buddy Jorge will back me up

Our EXECUTIVE Pocket CHUM’s Never Lie ….. 😎

5F9FC6F6-4D41-4447-953F-51A8366F8E43.jpeg
691515F7-E0CB-4791-89FF-063FA69CEF46.jpeg

9236F6F1-049B-46CD-B153-D2ECACE9232E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Matt, you are a genius! Assuming I understand…? Basically the old cushion has stretched on one side as it compressed on the other side. The male studs must not go all the way through the cushion? So there are 4 studs built into the rubber? The stretch in the rubber made it taller and is now prohibiting it from clearing the distance to slide out? It’s a USA, 4/1981 FJ40.

If you cut old one out, and cant get that bracket back over the top studs, you could cut slots to the two holes in that bracket so it could slide around the studs instead of having to go over them. Much easier than lossening the body mounts and lifting the body if indeed that is what is required for reinstallation of that bracket.

Hey Matt, you are a genius! Assuming I understand…? Basically the old cushion has stretched on one side as it compressed on the other side. The male studs must not go all the way through the cushion? So there are 4 studs built into the rubber? The stretch in the rubber made it taller and is now prohibiting it from clearing the distance to slide out? It’s a USA, 4/1981 FJ40.

your almost correct

the 2 studs are in-act 1 piece each , they both are now simply just at a angle same as the over rubber cushion lean , its a monolithic Vulcanized part ........

don't over think it any longer , i already did all the over-thinking for you and me combined staring at that top first image for close to a hour ,

after beer # 3 , my SPUT-NICK moment happend 🤣

i have those from time to time and one was due ........ 🤔

i am not afraid !

BRING ON THE GRINDER or SAW SAW and put my step by steps theory to the test !

time will tell in only a few short hours , & history will be the judge here on fathers day .... :cool:

matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom