Need Advice! Thoughts on putting a 1980 tailgate on 1983? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

I have a 1983 Toyota Pickup long bed that was once a truck-bed trailer hauler, so the tailgate sat in the snow of Alaska for 20 years and rusted away. I found a guy in town that sold me a 1980 handle-latch tailgate but I'm unsure if I want to put it on the 1983 since it's not of the year. I'm planning a full restoration and need to know if that would hurt the value if I ever decide to sell it.

Here's my truck
IMG_6930.jpeg

Most 83s were single pull handle in the center of the tailgate. Does yours have the 'hooks' on the sides of the tailgate opening for the earlier piece to latch to?

Most 83s were single pull handle in the center of the tailgate. Does yours have the 'hooks' on the sides of the tailgate opening for the earlier piece to latch to?

Correct, mine is currently a center pull design. I think they changed the tailgate design in '81.

But I would need to weld on two small pieces onto the sides of the bed to give the clasps something to latch onto.

Go look at an earlier bed to see how those hooks are installed. Might have to remove a tail light to see inside.

Go look at an earlier bed to see how those hooks are installed. Might have to remove a tail light to see inside.

Fortunately the guy I bought it from has the original bed sitting around on his land that I can take some photos of, but I'll definitely make sure to measure twice cut weld haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom