Need a new EDC pocketknife (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to reach for my for my knife the other day, and GONE!

I've been carrying a Benchmade Griptillian 551 for the past ~2 years or so and really grew to like it, even if I thought the handle material felt kinda cheap when I first got it.

I really liked how light it was, how solid it locked, how easy it was to open and close single handed, and that it didn't have that "snap" like the spring loaded types have that causes people to look at you like you're nuts when you need to get it out at work, etc.

I'm probably going to just get another one, but maybe there's something better I should check out? My only real complaint was the blade steel - didn't keep an edge very well for how much it cost. The SOG trident tanto it replaced actually kept a better edge. The SOG also got loose after about a year, and didn't seem to lock up very tight after heavy use.

Suggestions?
Something in the same price range/size/locking mechanism.

Like you, I like the Axis locking/opening mechanism design. I have a couple Griptillians and a couple years ago bought a Benchmade McHenry & Williams version that I like better (thinner and less bulky in the pocket). My only complaint with the three BM knives I have: Medium hardness steel (doesn't hold an edge that long ... but easy enough to re-edge). I think they're still big bang for the buck though.

I still use my swiss army locking blade with the birds eye hole. it's a one hander with extras...I keep it on my belt in an old gerber pouch...

I still use my swiss army locking blade with the birds eye hole. it's a one hander with extras...I keep it on my belt in an old gerber pouch...
I do like the big SAK's, but when they switched the locks from the slider on the handle scale to the bass-ackwards from everyone else's liner lock and put a huge humpback on the blade, to me the ergonomics kinda went down the drain. I have a couple of both styles and am a huge fan of the old model rucksack for a camping/hiking knife, but not as industrial hard use EDC. I always have a leatherman wave with me anyway, maybe I just need to learn to get by with only one bladed instrument :hillbilly:.

That’s like how I felt when we got the new stand up electric fork lift at work. At first I thought it was junk...I never got to use the older SA side locker, and am quite able and happy to operate it both ways with one hand. Even if it means get not be as easy or sleek as the older one...that new Toyota forklift btw kicks much butt! Just had to stop using it like it was something other than what it is...

How much do you want to spend? Do you value handmade craftsmanship?

Had my Griptillian for more than a decade. If I lost it tomorrow, I'd be placing a replacement order by end of day. Also carry a Spyderco Sage for dressier occasions, but for everyday use/abuse, love my Griptillian. Not the best steel, but good enough, easy to sharpen and if something DID happen to it it's not the end of the world.

How much do you want to spend? Do you value handmade craftsmanship?
The griptillian is at the upper limit price point of an EDC/work knife for me. I see they have models with CPM S20V steel for a lot more money - given that I either loose or wear out work/EDC knives inside of 2 years I find it hard to justify anything more than about $75.

I certainly value handmade craftsmanship, just not nearly as much when it's being used to pry things open, cut the eyes out of muddy nylon rigging that is to be scrapped, scrape concrete off of equipment parts, etc.

I think I'm going to give the Ontario Rat 1 in D2 a shot..

I hope that second part didnt come off snotty! I agree though 100%, I would love a $500 Chris Reeves knife but i know i would baby it and not use it like i use and abuse my $50 Kershaw. Post up how you like the Rat1 in a month or so.

I do like the big SAK's, but when they switched the locks from the slider on the handle scale to the bass-ackwards from everyone else's liner lock and put a huge humpback on the blade, to me the ergonomics kinda went down the drain. I have a couple of both styles and am a huge fan of the old model rucksack for a camping/hiking knife, but not as industrial hard use EDC. I always have a leatherman wave with me anyway, maybe I just need to learn to get by with only one bladed instrument :hillbilly:.
Speaking of the 111mm SAK's..I really do like them a lot, but there's a couple of things that make them unsuitable for what I need here. No pocket clip - I need to be able to get the knife out with gloves on and when I'm wet and in awkward positions. These SAK's (and also the SOG trident that came before the Griptillian) are very susceptible to sand, crud, metal filings, die grinder cuttings, concrete and other deleterious material getting into and messing up the lock mechanism and springs. Never had that issue with the Griptillian. These things and many others are great outdoor tools, but they're not the heavy duty tool I'm looking for.

L to R
-My old rucksack (blade + saw and other normal SAK tools) from the mid to late 90's, that I used a ton for a number of years. EDC, hunting, camping, etc. Darn near perfect all around outdoor knife/tool.
-Another NOS Rucksack from ebay just in case..:hillbilly:
-Skipper (pliers and marlin spike- a gift I have never really used)
- Trailmaster (another gift, have used a bit - like the rucksack tools but half serrated and with different blade shape/lock)
- Hunter XT. I've used this thing to process a couple deer, and wow that curved blade opens them up and splits hide on legs better than any guthookive ever tried. Has a saw too.
IMG_8006.JPG

One thing I Really appreciate about the serrated blades on these, is that the serrations are cut from the right to left, opposite of what nearly everyone (except the serrated blade on the leatherman wave) does. It lets you carve/shave wood or other materials so much easier and really the serrations don't even get in the way when cutting food, shaving bark off a limb, etc. the Gerbers/Kershaws/etc with the alternating size serrations cut from the left side kinda suck for those tasks.
The other "different" thing is that the serrations are at the end of the blade, and the straight portion is nearest the handle - you can sharpen a pencil or do fine cuts in wood a lot easier that way.

Did I mention I kinda like knives :flipoff2:

I've grown attached to the Gerber Paraframe Serrated. Probably given 3-4 to airport security as I tend
to forget its even there. But the lock works really well, and I can open and close it smoothly with one hand.
Not the best steel, but keeps an edge and easy to sharpen.

I've grown attached to the Gerber Paraframe Serrated. Probably given 3-4 to airport security as I tend
to forget its even there. But the lock works really well, and I can open and close it smoothly with one hand.
Not the best steel, but keeps an edge and easy to sharpen.

I think those are a great design and tough knife overall, I've had a couple of the smaller 3 1/2"? Paraframes but like you said I found the steel lacking.

My EDC is reasonably priced Kershaw Scallion. I work in a corp office and it's sleek / small enough not to trigger the liberals :rolleyes:

Kershaw's have been a good value proposition for me given that I lose them occasionally.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1620...=UTF8&qid=1508471017&sr=1-59&keywords=kershaw

I don't have to worry about that side of things so I like a larger blade. I think in the sub $50 range the the kershaws are very hard to beat as far as blade steel goes, even the $20 ones hold up very well and are super easy to sharpen. I have a couple Kershaws, (I used to to go the Christmas factory seconds sale in Portland when I lived there). The few that I have feature very fragile pointy tips (Leek) or very thinly ground edges (Clash) which are not ideal for a hard use knife. I am also a tad leery of carrying something that someone with the ability to cause a lot of headache could interpret as being a switchblade, legal as it may be...

I hope that second part didnt come off snotty! I agree though 100%, I would love a $500 Chris Reeves knife but i know i would baby it and not use it like i use and abuse my $50 Kershaw. Post up how you like the Rat1 in a month or so.
Rat ordered! Will let you know how it holds up once I've had a chance to beat on it.

I think those are a great design and tough knife overall, I've had a couple of the smaller 3 1/2"? Paraframes but like you said I found the steel lacking.

I don't have to worry about that side of things so I like a larger blade. I think in the sub $50 range the the kershaws are very hard to beat as far as blade steel goes, even the $20 ones hold up very well and are super easy to sharpen. I have a couple Kershaws, (I used to to go the Christmas factory seconds sale in Portland when I lived there). The few that I have feature very fragile pointy tips (Leek) or very thinly ground edges (Clash) which are not ideal for a hard use knife. I am also a tad leery of carrying something that someone with the ability to cause a lot of headache could interpret as being a switchblade, legal as it may be...
You're in Sammamish WA? Wow, I'm in Issaquah, right by the Lake Sammamish on the I90 side. We're practically neighbors.:D

Drive by there twice a day in a white '62..there were two other cruisers within 2 cars of me on the off ramp onto 17th from I90 today :).

Last edited:
I have an 85 white FJ60, and pull onto I90 at exit 13 each day heading to SLU. When the weather is nice, I roll in my 87 BMW cabrio, which is now settled into my garage for the rainy season w the battery tender attached.

Small world - we should catch up sometime.

My 2 cents... Benchmade Pardue Design Combo Edge Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180GQWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jGx6zbFWQW4VF
This is a light weight sleek design that perfectly suits my EDC needs. Normally used a larger auto benchmade for heavier duty purposes while in military uniform. The Pardue design is sleek and doesn't leave a large signature in your pocket or while utilizing the pocket clip. Good luck!

IMG_0856.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom